2017 Giacomo Conterno Barolos

• 2017 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Arione - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/1/2022)
    Aromatically high-toned, with primarily red fruit and a distinct herbal quality as well. The palate is relatively light, and because of that I don't think it holds its 15% alcohol as well as the other two in the lineup, at least right now. On the palate, you get a lot of primary, tart red cherry notes, and much less of the herbal notes on the nose. Obviously youthful tannins right now, but they aren't obtrusive. While this is clearly a good wine, it's definitely not at the level of the brilliant 2016. (93 points)
  • 2017 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cerretta - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/1/2022)
    The Cerretta has always struck me as the darker complexioned and riper site in the Conterno lineup. This bottle fits the bill quite clearly, with a nose that is driven more by black cherry than red. Much more intense and opulent on the palate in contrast to the Arione, I think that this holds its alcohol better. Almost a hint sweet, this is the most accessible and hiding its tannins right now. (93 points)
  • 2017 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Francia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/1/2022)
    Of course, the OG vineyard was the best of the lineup. This is kind of a best of both worlds situation with the Arione and Cerretta. The nose is a lovely mix of red and black fruit, with a more modest herbal element. It's quite aromatically intense, and you do get a slight whiff of the alcohol on the nose. On the palate, this feels like it has a slight notch of complexity over the other two vineyards; it's just more intense and concentrated on the palate. The tannins are also the most prominent and apparent of the three wines here, but I also suspect this is, of course, the wine with the most longevity of the three. (93 points)
2 Likes

Thank you for sharing these notes.