2017 Côte de Brouilly Face Off

As a BD diversion I am comparing two recommended 2017 Cotes de Brouilly Beaujolais that have very similar labels. (This label similarity was cleverly utilized by Robert A to trick some of us in another thread.)
cotes de brouilly.jpg
2017 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly <=> 2017 Domaine du Pavillon de Chavannes Côte de Brouilly Cuvée des Ambassades
Both have a relatively rich dense color, with the Chavannes just a little lighter. The Thivin leans slightly more towards purple-red and is a bit darker.
Nose was mute, but don’t go by me, as I am scent-challenged.
Taste impressions for the Chavannes: Bright and lively. Red fruit dominant. Bit of pucker. Underlying earthiness lends a nice note. Very pleasant lingering aftertaste of fruit and forest. Balanced. Tasty.
Taste impressions for the Thivin: Bright and spicy. Mixed fruit with notable darker riper fruit. Sufficient acid to keep it lively, but without pucker. Rich, full, deep, spicy flavor. Balanced. impressive. (kind of a “Wow” to me)
Verdict: I think these are both very nice wines. The Chavannes is notably lighter in style, but it is tasty in a bright lively red fruited way. The Thivin was richer, with a broader taste spectrum of full and spicy fruit.
My tastes would reach for the Thivin most of the time.

That trickster!

Thivin. All. Day. Long.

My favorite Beaujolais.

Great post, thank you! My two favorite Bojos and I as well, lean towards the Thivin for the vintages I’ve had.

Chavannes is a nice wine every vintage, but Thivin is a notch above for me.