2017 Beaujolais

I tasted VA in a Thivin 2018 recently. Was the Moulin a Vent. It was also way too young.

Distribution company is in PA.

I had no idea Thivin made a M-a-V. Is that new?

If they do, they never presented it to meā€”and I was there Tuesday! Didnā€™t notice notable levels of VA in any of their 2018s, which across the board showed very well.

In general, in fact, I am being positively surprised by my tastings of 2018s. Thinking aloud, and without mature reflection, the vintage is perhaps best characterized as a juicier, less tannic version of 2015: the fruit is ripe and sun-kissed, the acidities comparatively low, butā€”thanks to the high yieldsā€”the wines retain the juicy succulence and facility that is such a distinguishing feature of Gamay, and they are not wrapped up in hyper-concentration and structure like some of the 2015s where. Quite a few producers are drawing parallels with 2011, and while I think 2018 is a riper vintage than 2011 in the final analysis, such a comparison does betray confidence. I can certainly say that the immediacy and expressive fruit of the 2018s that I have tasted will make them very appealing to a broad audience. And interestingly, perhaps suggesting that the experience derived from vintages such as 2017 and 2015 has not been wasted, a number of low sulfur producers talked about how they had surveilled their fermentations under the microscope, taken pains to make sure their tanks were well blanketed with CO2 (for those working with carbonic maceration), and sometimes added more sulfur than usual, or brought the lees into suspension, or otherwise intervened, to ensure clean, stable wines. Naturally, I am visiting what are to my mind the best and most interesting producers, but the cleanliness and purity of fruit Iā€™ve found in the 2018s I have tasted thus far, from the top addresses, is markedly better than what I had been expecting. The lack of hail damage that marked 2016 and 2017, especially in Fleurie and Moulin-Ć -Vent as well as parts of Morgon, also makes for more homogeneity among the top producers who were able to manage the challenging fermentations in 2018.

I want to put a case of 2017s together, and have access to the following wines. Which wines and how much of each would you recommend? TIA.

2017 Chateau Thivin Brouilly Reverdon
2017 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly Cuvee Zaccharie
2017 Domaine du Vissoux Fleurie les Garants
2017 Domaine du Vissoux Fleurie Poncie
2017 Domaine du Vissoux Moulin A Vent Les Trois Roches
2017 Domaine du Vissoux Saint-Amour Les Champs Grilles
2017 Jean Foillard Corcelette
2017 Jean Foillard Morgon
2017 Jean Foillard Morgon Cote de Py
2017 Jean Foillard Morgon Eponyme

A case of all of them? :wink:

Hard to miss there. I would add Roilette and Bouland, if you have access.

William, you rock!

Iā€™d buy 3 of each Zaccharie, Corcelette and Cote du Py then a few singles of the Vissoux because Iā€™m not as familiar.

A very reasonable approach, Robert. Which Vissoux to buy depends on if Scott wants to drink them early or late. Late, go with the Moulin-a-Vent. Early ā€“ get one each of the Fleuries, and one of the Saint-Amour (Iā€™ve never had the latter, but Vissoux has never disappointed yet). Drink the Fleurie Poncie before the les Garants.

I tasted and bought several 2017 Beaujolais. Wonderful vintage. I think you cannot have enough of these wines. Top Beaujolais is probably the best buy today due to a perfect QPR. I hope this situation remains for a while.

Iā€™ve had one, and I donā€™t really Beaujolais vintages, so i canā€™t comment on the style of the vintage; but I found this one very compelling:

Pierre-Marie Chermette, Les Trois Roches, Moulin a Vent 2017
Exceptional, lovely nose, with cherry/raspberry, blackberry, black currant, all very meaty, with abundant spice and loads of smokey stone/earth; outstanding depth and fragrance. On the palate, sweet, succulent, meaty cherry / raspberry, blackberry, black currant, a touch of mint tobacco leaf, generous spice and black pepper (with a bit of heat even), then tons of smokey / salty stone / mineral. Very full bodied, with outstanding density, grip, and acid tone, with a long, mineral laden finish; very fresh, succulent but also very savory in texture. Outstanding, the best Beaujolais I have ever had, so complete and satisfying. 5 to 10 years ahead, perhaps as much as 15. 4 Stars [4/27/19]

Thanks, Ryan! Just ordered some.

And, motivated, popped a 2017 Thivin. Itā€™s fantastic. Ordering yet more. I accidentally have almost killed the whole bottle through dinner and reading news.

I frequently have the same problem.

How long do you hold the Delys in magnum, William, as a general matter. I have 2011, and the only 750 Iā€™ve opened so far shooed me out of the room and told me not to come back for several years.

I really enjoyed the 2017 from Domaine des Billards Saint-Amour. I had read that Saint-Amour can be of poor quality as much of it is produced for Valentineā€™s day, but thought the Domaine des Billards was great: pomegranate and red cherries on the nose, with a rich, full-bodied wine on the palate.

John Gilman has been raving about this Cru bottling for a couple of years now but I had never come across it. His praise for the 2017 was very strong: ā€œseamless tannins and great focus and grip on the very, very long ā€¦ finish.ā€

The amazing thing is not that he suggests holding off until 2023 to begin drinking it, but that it could last through 2060!

Ten years is greatā€¦ 2018 will be a bit more open-knit and accessible out of the gates than 2011, whereas 2017 will need a similar amount of time.

2017 Foillard Morgon Cuvee Corcelette was drinking great last week.

Good to hear. I have some of this on order.

What kind of pup is that, David, if you donā€™t mind me asking?

drank the 17 dutraive fleurie lieu dit and it was wonderful. the aromatics were very similar to metras. there was incredible balance and freshnessā€¦hard to believe it is 14 degrees abv