2017 Beaujolais

I don’t visit for another couple of months, but based on the vintage and their current form, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy blind. Will see if I can find one on Beaune this week.

Thanks William. How come Foillard always releases so late? Do they bottle later or just hold them back longer?

I think the wines see nine months in barrel, which is not especially long. I would speculate that Foillard is simply doing well enough to hold the wines back a little bit. Most Beaujolais winemakers are close to being subsistence farmers, and the wine is a rapid rotation product.

2017 Metras Fleurie last night. My first bottle, so no way to know how representative this was given the widely discussed bottle variation. Couldn’t have been any more different than the 2017 Lapierre Morgon, very lean on the palate, and very herbal. After 2 hours of air, started to gain some weight and had some herbaceous and almost eucalyptus-like aromas. This was entertaining all the way through just due to how much it changed, but definitely more structure than the Lapierre.

Hmmm…still dealing with my 05’s and 09’s right now. [training.gif]

The bottles I have had (I purchased a case of each cuvée from a wine merchant in the Beaujolais who sources direct from Métras and took the wines to my Beaune cellar, so they haven’t travelled far) have been very floral-fruit driven, with some light reduction that blows off and is diminishing with bottle age. But as you say, bottle variation is the rule rather than the exception! I love the wines though.

My local retailer is carrying a producer that I have not tried before, any comments:

2017 Yohan Lardy Moulin-a-Vent Vieilles Vignes de 1903

I just grabbed more Bouland.

What you really need is magnums of the Morgon Delys, Robert.

I had my first bottle of Cru Beaujolais (2015 Moulin-a-Vent) about a month ago and loved it. Since then I’ve had a bottle of most every Cru. I have loved the Chenas/Morgon/Moulin-a-Vent the most. One problem I have found is that in Houston it is really hard to find my Beaujolais any retailers (Specs/Richards are the biggest wine retailers but have a limited Beaujolais selection).

Question - how do you get on few distributions and which are some of the better Chenas/Morgon/Moulin-a-Vent producers?

What I really need is better friends so that I can actually pop Maggies of Beaujolais! Most roll their eyes like I’m pouring them a coke on ice. I usually drink Beaujolais alone, my private shame.

Magnums of cru Beaujolais are one of the great values of the wine world. I often end up decanting them into 375 which I drink over a week or two. Same with magnums of Chablis.

A partner in crime would be most welcome. Come visit and we’ll open a 2005 Tete Julienas Fief Cuvée Prestige together, and whatever else we can dig up.

We shared a magnum of 2015 Foillard Cote de Py with guests the other night and it was just smashing. Despite its youth and the format, it was open and generous and totally delicious. After a full evening of champagnes, whites and rose, this was our sole red and it was memorable.

Where are you all finding magnums of Beaujolais? I can barely find 750’s in and around where I live. PA makes shipping from out of state retailers a tough game for me too, but for the right bottles I have my methods.

I will say, the most annoying part of drinking Beau. is that whenever you talk about it people instantly associate it with the nouveau, which I think it in generally some second rate plonk.

TW

In my case, unhelpfully, in France. But isn’t Weygandt based in PA? Perhaps they could sort you out with some magnums of Bouland?

I think Weygandt is in DC.

I thought Weygandt lives in PA where his company is based but he has the shoppe in DC.

Peter’s store is in DC, on Connecticut Ave., not far from Calvert-Woodly.

Nice folks, in my experience, and interesting Saturday tastings. Good selection of magnums - Bouland, Vissoux, others, too.

2017 Daniel Bouland Morgon Corcelette VV Foudre 7
Struck me as somewhat lighter for Morgon. Refreshing, simultaneously agile and silky, red & dark fruits. It builds through the midpalate to a clean finish. If this is from a new foudre, it’s not imparting too much wood. Gulpable. Couldn’t help pouring an extra glass just to sip.

RT

It’s excellent stuff. Try the Foudre 4 as well. And the Delys, just wow . . . .

I find the style of most of them to be quite a bit heavier in 2017. Seems like they are trying to compete with Burgundy more at a much more reasonable price. I still think they are steals.