2016 The Third Twin offer is out

Slightly off topic (what else is new for a WB thread?), but coupled with the thread on the Wine Spectator, I am always surprised that they don’t review the SQN wines and various spin-offs more. They can do an entire article on Rhone varietals and never mention SQN. Whether you like the style or not, it seems that leaving out SQN and company would be a large omission. Anyone else ever notice this?

FWIW, WA has reviewed 151 SQN bottlings, whereas WS has reviewed 41.

I got offered two box sets as well. Definitely in for one, but struggling to spend $2500.

Just got my letter today in the mail today. Got offered one box set. Not sure why some got two but am fine with one. They did not mention how many cases other than to say there is a tad more than the Graciano last year which was 60 cases. It contained some very nice reviews by JD, AG and LPB. The blend is 53% mourvedre, 16% syrah, 14% grenache, 9% petit sirah, 6% graciano and 2% viognier all estate fruit from The Third Twin vineyard. 42% whole clusters and the rest were destemmed. It spent around 31 months in french oak barrels, 42% new.

There will be another release later on for the Graciano…probably a 16/17 combo, just like the 14/15…per email.

Aside from the tasting notes within the mailer, has anyone seen actual scores yet for the 2016 NSdTG beyond the “99+” noted by K_F_o_l_e_y above?

Jeb = 98

AG 95

FWIW he rated the 2016 TT Graciano 98+

Got the letter today.

They put Manfred on the cover a few years ago - a nice feature article. Their scores were all over the place, but 17th Nail syrah got 98. That said, I haven’t seen any reviews of SQN in a long time and they have never looked at NOK.

Ordered at the last minute. My allocations of two boxes was still available. I took one. Not sure I can afford being on SQN,NOK
and this list. And I’m to the point where I’m offered more SQN. Not exactly retirement wines.

Offer what you don’t want to your friends. There are always takers.

I have done this in the past but now I realize how wrong I was. By ordering more than I really wanted and then sharing with friends (at cost) I was preventing other people from moving up on the list. SQN could do something really cool that encourages this behavior but I don’t think that’s in the cards.

I just got an email offering me leftovers from this offer, and am trying to figure out whether it’s worth the cost. Any TNs or personal experiences with the prior releases? I enjoy big/flavorful wines, but some of the Cellartracker notes make these seem like they may end up being disjointed monsters. Makes me pause.

champagne.gif

If you have to ask . . . (kidding)

Not many tasting notes on previous vintages on here - interesting.

Cheers

I passed on my offer of five bottles. Offered to a couple of friends and they all passed.

They called me yesterday asking if I wanted my allocation. I was surprised.

I got the email offer today for allocations that weren’t purchased. I went for it. If anyone is interested in some bottles let me know I don’t need all 5, but I have no issue keeping them all.

Cheers

Ha, your kidding is probably pretty accurate. I’ll probably end up dragging my feet until I miss out. Some data points would certainly be nice though!

I got an offer as well. I just signed up last year

Same here, but $270/bottle plus shipping is too rich for my blood, especially with a 5 bottle case. That’s steeper than SQN…