2016 Mugneret Gibourg village wine > $200!

Isn’t the CV and the Ruchottes in the $500-600 range now?

Whilst the Ech is usually a pretty (and very good wine) it’s the Ruchottes that gets me excited…but not at nearly $900 and $1100 on wine-searcher pricing!

$340 & $350 I paid for Ech and Ruchottes

There was a great Chinese restaurant in NYC, east 50s between Park and Madison, closed maybe 5 years ago. Maybe a decade ago it had the 1999 M-G ‘Ruchottes Chambertin’ on the list for $149 per bottle. Took about 6 months to finish up their stock, I had a lot of peking duck to go with the wine…

Great score!

I remember doing some thing similar with 1990 Mt Mary cab, although took at least a year to drink that place out!

Just a tiny bit of Echezeaux this year. I am generally not a Grand Cru Burgundy buyer. In recent years I have purchased maybe 4-6 bottles total of Grand Cru per vintage across all the producers I buy.

I have a friend with allocations from MG and my sense is that the additional money is going to middlemen, not them. They may have raised the price a bit the last few years but not much. If I recall correctly, the Echezeaux is less than $150 euros at the winery.

Lucky guy. Sadly I’m basically down to zero. And I do love MG’s Clos Vougeot.

… but the Hoisin really kills Burgundy

This. I find it also tends to overpower highly perfumed Syrah. In fact, i generally don’t use the Hoisin if there’s wine at play.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I have only about 8 bottles of MG GC overall across vintages. I currently buy 4-6 bottles of GC across all producers each year.

You were clear. I buy basically zero bottles of GC Burgundy now per year. That’s why I said you were lucky.

I have 6 bottles of Mugneret GC left, 5 of which are part of my oldest son’s birth year stash—2004.

But it’s all good. Always more wine.

I’ve had the 2004 M-G GCs a few times, and they are actually very good. They are not top wines, but they sure stand out compared to the vintage.

I checked the retail price for 09 Echezeaux (WineArt) in Germany. While I bought the wine for about 85 Euros at the winery the retailers price today ist 650. Everybody who supports those exaggerations is responsible for destroying a culture. Everyone should make a profit but this is something different and not reputable.

They’re responsible for destroying your budget, but let’s not get carried away.

Oof…maybe I should sell my 2009 M-G Echezeaux.

Fine “rare” wine is the new bitcoin!

These steep prices increases baffles me at a time when every financial asset class is down on the year, be it real estate, bonds, emerging markets, credit, global equities and US equities barely up.

John, well bitcoin is down over 60% on the year.

Michael Skurnik is the importer. Importers are pigs and this is a case in fact. Producers rarely ever see anything close to the wealth made by importers.

Not everywhere. The producers in Bordeaux (top 100 wines) are very much in control, and have become very wealthy in the last fifteen to twenty years. That is because there are multiple importers for every wine.

In Burgundy, fewer importers, and therefore they (importers) have much more control.