2016 Carlisle papera zin - WOTY?

WS is doing their top 10 reveal. I’m sure many people find it silly, but I think it’s kind of fun, especially when you have a wine that shows up on the list. Numbers 10 through 7 have been revealed so far. They scored 95 or 96 and range in price from $65 to $176 a bottle. The 16 Papera Zin got 96 points with release price of $47. It is an outstanding wine and Mike deserves the recognition. Only 1000 cases produced, but the 07 Saxum JBV was only 1000 cases and it made WOTY. I hope it makes the list. Wouldn’t it be great to have a zin as wine of the year.

Mike Officer has worked hard for so many years, I’d love to see him get some of this pub. But, it releases the ravaging throng to try and find the wine, which of course is sold out, so good luck with that.

Mark, so what is your WOTY? Not being coy, wanting to know.

Most of the top ten wines are sold out by the time the WS list comes out anyway.

The 16 Papera is definitely is in the race for WOTY for me. It shows the full potential of zin. Other discoveries I made this year include 2013 Bevan Moaveni Syrah. Outstanding - one the best Syrahs I’ve ever tasted. That speaks volumes when you consider the other big names in that space. SQN 2016 Ratsel is also up there. And while traveling in Ribera del Duero, I was able to taste the 2014 Pago de Carroavejas Cuesta de las Liebres. It was the best tempranillo-based wine that I encountered on my Ribera del Duero and Rioja wine trip.