2015 John Thomas Offer

Indeed. The '98 is drinking very well right now. If he thinks it’s crap, you should offer to trade him several bottles of premoxed white burg. It’ll be an even trade. [snort.gif]

That phone number is incorrect. Can someone please post the correct number? I changed addresses and need to contact John to change, as mail forwarding is over and so I missed the postcard…

It’s a 503 area code, NOT 501.

Thank you! Much appreciated

I just want it duly noted that no one helped me out with copying the postcard and PM’ing me.
So, like last year I just sent John a check with a note of my own.
I did interrogate my wife about the matter. Upon repeated cross-exam, she seemed to recall a “cute blue and green postcard sized letter” matching my description.
She still maintains she was entirely justified in throwing it away and has failed to feign any remorse.
If only I was 20 years younger, healthier, and better looking… Oh, and wealthy.

Just had an 01 Thomas and I think was still very youthful and delicious

The secret is getting a glue gun and sending the response in bejeweled. Glitter. John is looking for pizazz. Flare! Like decorating your old Grateful Dead ticket request. That or just shop regularly at one of the Portland retailers, they’ll hook you up if you’re a good enough customer.

I would say no, that if you are a repeat customer, you could call John on the phone and place your order and he will ship it before he gets your check and trust you. He is that kind of guy with loyal customers. That is why I love supporting him and why I intend to have all future JT mailers sent to my office rather than my home.

In for half case. First time to order. Looking forward to trying these. Goes in tomorrows mail. Do these ship in the fall or in the spring?

You should receive in November.

I would strongly recommend not opening any for at least a year. From what I’ve tried, I find his wines are best at 8+ years. Look forward to finally cracking an ‘11 in 2020. [cheers.gif]

So you’re saying glitter is a bit too much? Just stenciling then?

My order is in too. John is a great hardworking guy. My wife and I had a nice visit with him in September. Got to taste a lot from barrel. He does almost all the work himself. It is an adventure getting to his property if you don’t have a high clearance on your car especially if he hasn’t graded the road. My wife kept wanting to turn back. She was afraid I was going to damage the rent car. I was on a mission.

I don’t agree. I open a bottle soon after receipt every year and don’t regret it at all. The 2014 in particular is extremely forward for Thomas, as I expect the '15 will be as well. The '13 drank surprisingly well on release and continues to do so. Even the 2011, which will almost certainly be very long-lived and was not an early-drinking vintage in the Willamette in general, was beautiful on release. Yes, there was unrealized potential there, but I enjoyed it so much I’m very glad to have had the experience. It was nothing like drinking young Corton or anything like that.

I’d say open one up and see what you think, but keep in mind that this is such a hot vintage that it might not be what people think of as typical for Thomas. Maybe that’s good so we have something to drink young while waiting for most other vintages to age.

Thanks for that advice from both of you. Never having a Thomas before I am more inclined to try one. Have to see if it fits my palate. From what I have read I do not see any issues.

The 2014’s were atypical from what I tasted from 2010 - 2013. I’d assume the 2015’s will be similar to the 2014’s. So I’d hold off on judgement until a cooler vintage.

For those of us who follow and buy from John on a regular basis, I sent him an email back in 2016, about the difference I experienced in his 2014 versus most prior vintages. Below is his response which you might find interesting.

"Michael,
Well, you’re noticing a couple of different things. For starters, the vintage was the warmest we’ve ever had (2015 & 2016 have continued that pattern) so the fruit was opulent to begin with.
Secondly, I took advantage of that ripeness by including a high percentage of whole cluster fruit in the fermentation. One can’t do this every year 2016 was equally warm but the stems remained
unusually bright green & bitter so the vintage was destemmed 100% but it provides a nice counterpoint to the ripeness. Glad to hear that you enjoyed a bottle already. It should be interesting to
see how the wine evolves over the next seven to ten years.

Happy Holidays,
-John"

I wonder if 2014 represented a delving into the whole cluster foray on behalf of a lot of Oregon winemakers. I think 2014 was Mo Ayoub’s first whole cluster bottling and the people at Liner & Elsen said it’s out of this world. I still have my entire case of '14 Thomas intact, but I’m thinking I need an excuse to crack one open soon.

For those looking for 2015 Thomas, in addition to trying to reach him directly you might also try Mt Tabor Fine Wines in Portland. They just sent out an email offering.

I think Valley Wine Merchants in Newberg usually gets some too and had a little 2014 in stock still when I visited in early September.

No connection to either other than as a satisfied customer.

Mike

If you have an entire case, you would be silly not to try one.

Thanks for this, Mike,

If it’s very helpful!

Josh