2015 EVESHAM WOOD CUVEE J EOLA-AMITY HILLS PINOT NOIR

2015 EVESHAM WOOD CUVEE J EOLA-AMITY HILLS PINOT NOIR- while perusing the shelves in one of my fav wine shops, the owner suggested I try this wine out for its elegance and charm which are 2 traits I adore in many Pinots; the label had curb appeal with its indigenous to Willamette Valley, Pacific Dogwood tree flower located front and centre; the bottle was decanted just before pouring; the first nose was redolent of toasted wood spice and cinnamon which continued on and as primary over the strawberry, red cherry and red raspberry fruit; on this evening, the oak influence was just too much for my palate and I refilled the bottle from the decanter, vacuum pumped it and refrigerated it; I went back for seconds the nest day with similar findings; so, I again pumped it and put it back in the frig just before leaving for an 11 day vacation; the 2nd day back, I opened it again and surprisingly and delightfully, the wood has integrated, everything is more in balance and if anything, the fruit is more pronounced; even the texture and weight became more full bodied; although I still can’t say this is elegant and charming, it reached a good place that suggested to get more of this, but with a cautionary reserve to let it rest and mature; 13% abv; the winery`s website states they the wines are organic, dry farmed, unfiltered and hand racked and they age the wines in “primarily well-used French oak barrels”.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_1942.jpeg

Thanks for the note. I am still getting familiar with 2015 and have not tasted that wine. Maybe others can chime in but I believe it is a fairly ripe vintage. A few years ago there was a regime/ownership change at Evesham Wood but my understanding is the house style has remained. I would say Evesham Wood’s reputation, and my opinion of them, is that they make, arguably, the most elegant and pretty wines in all of Oregon. Also, perhaps the greatest bargain.

Keep any eye out for a bottle from 2010 -2012.

Also, FWIW, I would have just left the bottle open, with no cork or vacuum for a Oregon pinot that young.

Cheers!

Jason

Heh. I was this close to opening a '99 with supper. Loved Russ Raney’s wines, stopped buying when he retired. Based on the few that I’ve tried, that was a mistake. Don’t think I’ve had a new regime Cuvee J, but I don’t recall any oif the bottles I’ve tried showing overt oak.

Thanks for your input and info Jason. I`ll look forward to handling the next young Oregon Pinot as you say. Thanks for that as well.

If my plans for my SLO trip stay together, I’ll try to dig out a bottle with some age. For my stop through in Santa Barbara. Lovely wines.

Jason

Jason

Perfect. Looking forward to the occasion Jason.

The Cuvée J is the most age worthy in the stable but also has the most oak time. Rarely is it too heavy to make it in any way risky or unpalatable. It just needs a few years. Even in a warm vintage I wouldn’t be opening this wine for at least 5 more years.

Thanks for confirming what i deduced from my first encounter. I am motivated to do just that, buy some and cellar it for 5+ years.

Just discovered a write up about his wine so I`m adding it to elaborate on its pedigree: “As the story goes, old owner Russell Raney was able to cultivate a strain of yeast derived from a bottle he drank of Henry Jayer, which he used to make many renditions of the apply named “Cuvée J”. Now it’s a cellar selection of the best couple barrels of their dry farmed estate fruit. With the small amounts made and extremely fair pricing, it’s always one of the tightest allocated wines we work with and for good reason. We had to taste the 2015 and cracked a bottle from our allocation last night and it lived up to its billing. A very restrained and elegant expression with a modest 13% in alcohol, soil driven, feminine, and reminiscent of classic Chambolle (Ghislaine Barthod was the first producer that came to mind - Drouhin’s premier cru Chambolle would be another reference)”

2015 was one of several hot years including 2017 so the wines tended to be a lot richer but some a bit flabby. Tasted this one at the tasting room in Newberg and I thought it was very flabby and would have a short shelf-life.

+1 on Ron’s statement. The Cuvee J is usually the only Evesham Wood wine I don’t find enjoyable young, but the wood integrates.

Thanks for the confirmation Jim. I`m banking on it. See you in KC in February if only for a stop at Ca Va