2015 Cali Cab to Age 25 Years

Agreed. But he hasn’t said what he’s looking for other than something to age. He didn’t talk about a particular style.

Robert - I had no idea those wines had gotten so expensive. $350 for Opus One??? [wow.gif]

TRB says 8-10 years.

Beringer PR is another not mentioned and generally requires 10+ years aging…

Wait what! don’t you buy on what others say, like me buying Bordeaux based on Jeff Leve and Neal Martin way back when the vintage of the century 2005 came out?! champagne.gif

You make a good point. And you can pass on that wisdom without ever having tasted those wines too! Or you could just ask Gavin which ones he likes!

[tease.gif]

You know who has actually tasted a lot of wine? A: Sally

1 Like

2015 Ehlers Estate Cabernet Sauvignon “1886”

Togni and Mayacamas are great additions. I have not had enough Spottswoode to comment.

1. 2015 Philip Togni Cab 2. 2015 Dunn Howell Mtn. Can anybody comment on the Mayacamas now made by AE?

Finally something actually in the price range. I don’t know how well they age though. I happen to have their 05 multiple times because a friend received a case for gift. They are already fairly advanced after 12, 13 years.

Definitely voting for Dunn. Had two 82 in last few months, still in quite good shape.

Tons of great suggestions here. I’d also throw White Rock into the mix - the Laureate or Cave Hill.

It hasn’t been released yet (and I suspect not many people have tasted it yet), but based on their 2013, I expect the 2015 Beta will have potential to age. And you may still be able to get on the list.

I like Seavey but there has been some significant variation in how the bottles approaching 25 years have aged (speaking of 1995 and 1996 here). Of what has been mentioned my bets would be Montelena Estate and Dunn (or Ridge Monte Bello, but it’s out of the price range).

I agree, Craig. I’ve had both their ‘94 and ‘96 at 20+ years of age, and one was delicious while the other was well past it’s prime. In fact, the over the hill bottle was opened by the winery from their library stock.

Thanks for all the inputs Berserkers. Picked up a couple Dunn HM on wine.com. $155 each but saw the “spend $300 get $100 off” coupon on another thread and used that. Good deal for $105 each.

IMO most California Cabs that have been in production for 25 years or more are built to age for that long. Maybe not the basics from people like Mondavi and Charles Krug, but their upscale bottlings. And even basics from people like Groth and Chappellet should go the distance.

Of course it depends on personal taste. When I started drinking Cabernet-based wines, it was Bordeaux; Medoc Crus Bourgeois up to 1st growths, with top Bourgeois the typical tipple. These were almost all 25 year wines, if, like me, you like them with fully secondary aromas and flavors, and tannins fully resolved.

Mount Eden was finally mentioned. I haven’t had every California Cabernet (nobody has), but IMO nothing else I’ve had comes close the quality and value. 25 years is a good mid-point for this wine. In a tasting about 2 years back, everything from 1973 forward showed beautifully.

Mentioning Charles Krug on this board feels a little like cracking a big fart in the middle of a cult wine tasting, so to magnify the situation, let me add Alexander’s Crown, Mount Veeder and any of the upscale Trinchero Cabs as fine values and cinch candidates to make the Quarter Century mark.

Dan Kravitz

Lots of these wines are within the lower range, and almost all are with the upper range

Most of the wines mentioned will age 25 years with a few caveats based on experience. FWIW I just had a 91 Monte Bello and it was stunning at age 29. I have also had many wines mentioned above from 1999-2001 and they are definitely age able for 25. I also would add Larkmead to the list. The base Cab is excellent year in and out and below the price point and the SVDs May be available for close to that price point and would be worth spending a little extra for. My only caveats:

1. I believe the Dunn HM should age but Randy’s son is in charge and has changed the approach. They are now very accessible young, but I wouldn’t call them in the plush category and they should age but these are different and carry a slightly different risk than DHMs of the 80s and 90s.

2. Seaveys age well but at 25 I’ve had a few that didn’t come around and may not.

Not that I have had many older Pahlmeyers, but they have a long track record, priced where the OP wants and pretty damn good!

Michael - From the 1990s. Not so much the newer ones. Different wine making and I believe different vineyards.