2015 Bordeaux Buying? What and Why

Well done! You gonna open a Siran soon? I’d really like to hear what you (and Marc F.) think of it. To be sure, I found it ripe for a Siran, either because of Hubert or the vintage, but still classic with plenty of soul and lots of structure.

Picked up a bunch of the 2015 Chateau Le Gay Pomerol’s. They’re neighbors to Petrus and produce some damn good stuff. They used to be cheaper (just like almost everything), but if you can find it for around $100 a bottle it’s a pretty good deal. Only thing is that these bottles aren’t going to be something you really want to open until around 2030.

Dammit! A purchase that I did not plan on… Oh well, better to get on the list for when 2017 becomes available - my son’s birth year.

2017 is going to be difficult though. Nearly 50% of volume vs 2016 lost to frost, which led some producers to co-ferment different varietals to fill their tanks. Likely to be exceptionally troublesome in both reds and whites. I think it’s doubtful that the Chateaux that did this will be up front about it, so pre-purchase tasting will be more important than ever. I would personally wait until they are in bottle. Given the volume difficulties, it’s probably going to be an overpriced EP campaign (when isn’t it), that won’t rise dramatically ahead of getting on the shelves in 2020.

The string of problematic Bordeaux vintages ending in 7 continues: 1967, 1977, 1987, 1997, 2007, and now 2017?

I’m loving the ‘15 capbern right now, drinking so well!

I was taking to a uk merchant yesterday who keeps hearing from the Bordelais that 2017 Medocs are of a similar quality to 2015.

I suppose if one says it often enough…

Again with the PA state store thing, Canon was new t offered in my county, but Clos Fourtet is. I’ve see the rave reviews for the Canon. I know they are geographic neighbors, but for those who’ve both this year, any comparisons? Is CF close to Canon in style this year?

All reliable sources for these 2015s

Given that 2014, 2015 and 2016 have all been very fine vintages presenting very different styles, I think the “What To Buy” varies quite a bit assuming one does not have unlimited finances.

For my part, I bought very heavily in 2014, and moderately in 2016. For 2015, the only case I locked in was Leoville-Barton. I will consider Pichon-Lalande once it arrives and maybe Montrose.

I just do not like the big ripe vintages. They are certainly admirable wines and can be quite amazing from an objective standpoint. But early in my Bordeaux days I bought a lot of 1989s, and very few of them have really suited my preferred approach to drinking good mature bottles- in a smaller setting and in harmony with a good meal. If I had it to do over again, I would have only bought Lafite, Latour and Palmer in that vintage. If I was doing a blind vertical of Lynch-Bages and required to do 100 point scoring, I would probably give the 1989 a higher score than just about any vintage I have ever had- but in real life I prefer the 1985 or 1990 any day.

Just food for thought. While we are down from 2009-10 levels by quite a bit, the fact remains we have in 2014 a relative QPR steal- but still expensive plus two following vintages which are still pretty pricey if you take out the bubble from the 2005-2010 vintages.

So I am in a very selective mode these days when laying down Bordeaux. Considering the short 2017 crop and the fact there is no evident letup in demand, I am buying more generously right now than I have since the early 2000s- and probably for the last time in my life- but I am being very, very picky and giving much thought to what will suit my plans versus what the critics are saying (and of them there are far too many de facto shills these days.)

Great notes! Thank you.

All I bought in 2015 en primeur was Pontet Canet but I imagine I’ll acquire more 2014, 2015 and 2016 down the line. Whilst it’s tough to consider some of the better wines great value, escalating prices in Burgundy and Northern Rhone continue to make me look at buying more Bordeaux.