2015 Bordeaux Buying? What and Why

Andrew, for 2015s at Total Wine at this point, you are going to have to buy what is in stock as opposed to futures. Almost all Bordeaux is in their Winery Direct category and they periodically run discounts on Winery Direct wines. I’d search the local store for 2015 Bordeaux, as they are rolling in. It doesn’t hurt to look for 2014s as well.

Do we know when Neal Martin’s in-bottle scores of 2015 Bordeaux will come out?

Pat,
I believe TWA has put them out already on their website.

Good to know. I haven’t seen any retailer touting his in-bottle scores yet, which is certainly a far cry from the old days when Parker’s final scores hit the airwaves (or the POBox in Monkton, MD).

TWA published his scores, but the official in bottle 2015 scores are from Lisa Pernotti-Brown (sorry if I got the spelling wrong). Neal is currently writing puff pieces at Vinous until his restraint of trade finishes

I’m not sure who published them, but I’m finding Neal’s in-bottle 2015 scores on some websites now. The notes say they were issued in March 2018.

I was going to sit out the 2015s and wait to try the 2016s (birth year of my second child), but after trying the 2015 Siran recently, I’ve ordered these:
-2015 Siran - 8 bottles
-2015 Brane Cantenac 4 bottles
-2015 d’Issan 4 bottles
-2015 du Tertre 6 half bottles

Hmmmm, seems there’s a Margaux theme there.

Pat has been spending some coin!

I need to track down that Siran.

Margaux, Graves and the right bank ripped it up in 15

Canon
Figeac
Belair monange
Pichon Lalande

grabbed all of those EP by the case

I just noticed today on Jeff Leve’s notes that Hubert de Bouard was brought on as a consultant for the 2015 vintage. I didn’t know that before. Doesn’t change how I feel about the 15 Siran, but given that you might need to try before you go long!

This resonates with my view. For every vintage that gets chased, opportunity is created on the predecessor(s). Every 5 years or so, it happens. I first embarked (stumbled) on this philosophy with the 2000s and 2005s.

I’ll indulge on some bottles in any prized vintage, but I love hunting in the value ranges outside.

Thank goodness for vintages like 2013, otherwise we’d have to buy every year!

This is the current thread on 2015 bordeaux, so will post here. I went to the Specs Houston 2015 tasting 2 nights ago. I was not disappointed. My brief impressions from 60+ wines, mostly red with a smattering of white Nd sweeties that I mostly ignored. Cru classe up through some 2nds.

WOTN for me were Leoville Barton and Brane Cantenac. I think these are and will be truely great wines- they just exude class, balance, and beauty. The two Pichons were right up there with them, and arguably may include some extra elements in the flavor profile, but were not as seamless to me, and I just liked the other 2 better. The next tier, some of which I had already bought EP, and will be wonderful wines imo, and not far behind, included Branaire, Grand Puy Lacoste, Haut Bailly, and Gazin. My first Gazin. Loved it. I bought Clinet EP, but I wish I went for the Gazin. Domaine de Chevalier was close to these, but seemed a bit too monolithic to place it alongside this tier, but it is splitting hairs on this. Lynch Bages also was very, very good, bigger than the GPL, but brawnier and I preferred the GPL, which is also half the price. Some of the others that I also really liked were Langoa Barton, which had a bit of a hole in the middle, and some fine tannins obvious, but delicious. D’Armailhac was a joy to drink, more so than Clerc Milon. Giscours was a bit on the brawny side and did not have the ethereal beauty as Brane Cantenac. Haut Bages Liberal was kind of simple and will be an early drinking pleasure. Talbot was weird- lot of green peppers. Senejac a qpr. L. poyferre was napa-like. And very commendable wines from Larcis Ducasse and Pavie Macquin. I think you if you read this you will see my bias to the left bank. Oh, Phelan Segur- nice enough but I expected more.

Tanks for the notes, Jim. Ppl on this board beat me down a few months ago into buying a few bottles of the Leo B, and since then I’ve seen nothing but glowing reviews. Guess if I live long enough I’ll really enjoy them. I mean, Galloni said " A dense, powerful wine, the 2015 Léoville-Barton is going to need quite a bit of time to come together, as it is massively tannic and structured at this stage"

Neal,

be optimistic – we will toast with a glass of well aged Bordeaux to our 90th birthday :slight_smile:

Yeah, I was a bit worried about the Barton after reading the reviews. I suspect it will close down, and there are plenty of tannins, but they are fine. I also dove on this one recently, after quite some thought. I hope I don’t have to wait until I am 90-maybe 80!

As a Bordeauxl lover and remembering where I was when faced with an excellent vintage priced about right, I think it is a decent buying opportunity. I would also be buying some 2014s and 2016 s and cost averaging. What makes this trio tempting is that each vintage is distinctive and will give the wine lover plenty of variety through the years.

The other part of the equation is that the prices seem pretty sane. Not cheap, but unlike 2005 and 2009/2010, I don’t feel that the Bordelais have been greedy. Prices are solid, and at a level given the psychographics people are entering in greater numbers than leaving it, they will continue to increase. Choose carefully, but certainly a buy recommendation from me.

And if you are in your twenties buy magnums. Definitely something I wish I had bought more of.

Since Pat insisted, twice now, I went out and grabbed some 2015 Chateau Siran, Marguax. So now I have official bought two wines from 2015, the first being Les Carmes Haut Brion.

[cheers.gif]