2014 Marguet Le Parc Grand Cru brut nature

Brad, when I go back to the area, hopefully in early 2020, I would like to see if you are around. Doing some stops with you and tapping into some of your knowledge, even for a brief period of time for my visit, would be a cool benefit selfishly.

As to the longevity of Benoit’s wines, I’m already drinking and digging the 2012s, so those are now 7 years out and I have not found any aged quality to them, Brad. Mine were all bought here in the US. I will continue to age a single bottle of most of the cuvees, to see how they do, yet continue to acquired and build more inventory through new vintages, like 2014.

Frank,

Sorry I should have been more specific on what I meant by 5-8 years out. I meant post-release and not post-vintage. As the 2012s were released 1.5-2 years ago, I think they still have 3-6 years of good drinking and maybe more; only time will tell.

With a lot of the low sulfur Champagnes, the aging, evolution, flavor changes, etc… is still a bit of an unknown. I honestly don’t care if a wine can age or not; I just want to be able to know when to enjoy it and when it will show the characteristics I am looking for.

Exactly this. 2009 Cristal is a prime example; it is so delicious now that I don’t care whether it is a long term ager or not.

BTW, google street view covers France down to dirt roads, so it is worth using street view in Ambonnay Weinlagen

Testing Déthune BdN
I clearly prefer Marquet Les Crayeres. Much more balanced and clean. The Déthune BdN has an artificial pine-like tone. Off bottle?
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3KT9ghn6LY/?igshid=13ccmjtra7y7h
Edited, typo

On day 2 much better but still this strange piney part on the palate

Claus, help me. Why did you post the Dethune BdB in context of the Crayeres? Just curious. Is the Dethune source for their BdB inside of or near Crayeres?

FWIW, the Marguet Crayeres is money. The bottle I had of the 2012 a few months ago was excellent.

I believe Claus mistakenly wrote BdB even though the wine pictured is clearly their Blanc de Noirs. The grapes for the BdN indeed come from the same vineyard as those for the wines of Marguet and Egly. It is a lesser wine but then again so is the pricing. I paid 41 € for it vs 78 € for Marguet and 111 € for Egly and as such I believe it is priced according to its quality. That said given that it is an NV there might be some variation between different disgorgements. My note for the wine:

• NV Paul Dethune Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Noirs Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (25.11.2018)
    Mis en cave Avril 2014, date de dégorgement Octobre 2016. Very creamy on the nose with notes of red apple, apricot, bread dough and buttered toast. Ripe and mouth-caressingly rich on the palate - really luscious texture. Combines intense red fruit and oak in a beautiful way. Considering its origins and raw materials it is unsurprisingly quite vinous yet with great structure, acidity and a tangy edge. Big, complex, balanced and exciting, a very hedonistic wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Illka. Sorry for the confusion
I payed a little to mych for the Déthune BdN
On day 3 it still has an irritating pine note

Do you happen to know the base vintage? I believe if you have the mis en cave information it would be the previous year.

You will find a picture of the back label upstream
IMG_20191003_172505.jpg

Well, I cannot say I have had too much experience with the 2015 vintage at this point but apparently it should be a good one. Perhaps your bottle was just a dud? Generally I have come to expect quite pure fruit from Déthune’s wines.

2014 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Le Parc - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/27/2021)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –
– 100% Chardonnay –
– 0 g/L dosage –
– March 2019 disgorgement –

NOSE: deep and interesting; not typical — has a light ripe peach note.

BODY: green-yellow color; very active bead; medium bodied.

TASTE: rich, but light on its feet; high acidity without being mouth-puckering; hint of skin contact/orange wine character – very light, and I love it; a touch chalky; overall, a downright excellent bottle of bubbles, and it’s on my re-buy list.