2014 Marguet Le Parc Grand Cru brut nature

Brad, thanks for posting. I too like the Crayeres. It’s the plot that got me hooked on Marguet. I had a 2012 a few months ago that was drinking excellent, and your comment about the 2014 is cool to see.

Enjoying the rest of the Rose
Les Crayeres is next up. [drinkers.gif]
Thanks for the insight Brad

I blame you, as I just sourced a little more of the 2014s Crayeres and Parc, plus I found the Les Saint Remys. Enabler!

I was intoxicated by the special 2014 craziness
I also was bitten by 2014 Vouette et Sorbée champagne.gif

Well, I already have a decent amount of 2014 V et S…so leave me alone with your recommendations. deadhorse [truce.gif]

I just ordered some '14 Rose, Le Parc, Les Bermonts and Avize and Cramant. I will simultaneously thank you all and curse this thread.

Cheers,
Warren

You get no sympathy until you buy the entire range. No Trepail? No Crayeres? rolleyes

Yes, and no Room!

WT

Here’s the plot: Weinlagen

Charlie,
I hadn’t seen Weinlagen before. That’s a handy website.
Thanks,
Warren

Warren, based on where Le Parc is showing on that map from Charlie, it sits directly on the others side of the fence from Krug’s Clos d’ Ambonnay. If you look at the bottom left section of Le Parc, you see two rectangles: one green and one beige, which is Krug’s walled off section. Then, if you look down a little further from the left and see the square gray roofed building, that is Paul Dethune. Then, Marguet is just up and slightly left from Dethune, on the corner.

Frank,

That is very cool. I can’t wait to visit at some point.
Speaking of Dethune, I haven’t seen that rosé for sale in quite some time. I’m conserving my last two bottles.

Cheers,
Warren

On the Dethune and Marguet topic, the Dethune BdN is all Les Crayeres (soon to be clearly labeled as such) and the two make an interesting comparison of the plot. For even more fun, add in the Egly Ouriet Les Crayeres.

Brad, I had wondered whether Egly was using the same plot. In that vineyard, is that owned by rows or does one person own it and then allow the other vintners to have the designated fruit?

Also, Brad, I find it interesting that for Marguet, the Les Bermonts plot is actually on the south side of D19, what would seem to be the plain. Do you think that matters, that it’s not on the north side, coming down from the Montagne slope?

It’s awesome for sure. I remember not being able to sleep one night a while back. At 3:am I am studying Mosel hillsides on this app. Probably looked for an hour.

Frank,

Ambonnay is a village dominated more by growers which contrasts with its neighbor Bouzy which is known more as a village dominated by negociants. What this means is that Ambonnay has a lot of vineyards where lots of growers have a few rows vs. Bouzy where negociants own bigger chunks of the vines. You literally can have a grower in Ambonnay (and many other villages) own these 8 rows in a vineyard and someone else own the next 8, and someone else the next 12, then the first grower again own the next 6, etc… Les Crayeres has numerous owners. I wish I knew all of them, but I don’t.

In general, if someone owns a vineyard and wants to sell to a negociant (whether big or small), they sell all they have to a negociant and don’t split things up. Exceptions occur, but this is how it works. Also, in many top spots, a grower will keep the cuvee press for their wine and sell the taille to negociants as taille from top spots can still be really, really good.

As for Les Bermonts, I don’t know the soil composition of this vineyard, but it tends to not be one of my favorites as a wine. In general, the better spots in Ambonnay tend to come from the north side of D19 that are on the slope as things come down into the village. I don’t know all of what is on the south side of D19, but in theory that is not prime real estate. Not bad, but I wouldn’t think it to be the top of Ambonnay. It is also Chardonnay so that also comes into play. 100% Chardonnay in Ambonnay can be tough and Le Parc pulls it off much better for Marguet IMO. There are always anomalies and things that seem to defy logic so nothing is every 100%.

Thx Brad for the info. What’s the maximum age you would keep these for?

Brad, thanks for the thoughtful answer. What I find interesting in your conclusion is that Le Parc and Les Bermonts are not all that far from each other, separated only by D19 and in terms of point to point, what, a 1/4 mile? Is it fair to say, like Burgundy, that the spot on the slope is the magic? Le Parc is pretty low on the slope, although higher than Les Bermonts.

I need to open another Marguet Les Bermonts, probably blind with some of the guys to see what their reaction is, too. I’ve not found it anywhere near as good as the PN stuff that Marguet is doing.

I honestly don’t know as we are all learning about how Benoit’s wines are handling age and he is also improving his winemaking. Right now, I’m not sure I would take these more than 5-8 years out and I would expect some bottle variability over time especially from bottles not purchased in Champagne. I have noticed that bottles purchased outside of Champagne show a bit more age than bottles purchased in Champagne.

Frank,

Some things just don’t make a lot of sense when it comes to vineyard plots. You can have one plot right next to another plot with the same vine type, vine age, farming practices, basic exposition, soil analysis , and winemaking and one can consistently taste better than the other. Benoit would say that it likely has to do with the energy and historical significance of one plot vs. the next and I can’t argue with him.

You wouldn’t think that there would be that much difference between Le Parc and Les Bermonts, but there is and in general D19 is a stereotypical dividing line in vineyard quality for the village/area. The exposition of the vineyard is also slightly different and I would bet the soil too. These changes might be minor, but still enough to affect the quality in a noticeable way. The best spots in Ambonnay tend to be planted to Pinot Noir or at least a blend that is 70% Pinot Noir. In general, Les Bermonts is at the southern end of where you tend to find vines in Ambonnay and Bouzy. As you continue south, you enter Tours-sur-Marne and there is a clear drop in quality to me (Tours-sur-Marne is a Grand Cru, but in the old rankings, it was Grand Cru for Pinot Noir only). For whatever reason, this area doesn’t excel to same level as the rest of Ambonnay and I think with Chardonnay, you see a more marked difference.