2014 and 2017 Bordeaux - recommendations for an “off-ish” vintage

+1 on st Estephe. Meyney is excellent in 2014 and can be had for a song, and Lafon-rochet too. Even Montrose can still be found for $129.

But OP, not sure why you’d necessarily just limit yourself to 2014 and 2017? It’s easy to find excellent back vintages of Bordeaux that are closer to being ready to drink and well within your budget. For example 2008 Montrose which can still be found for $120 easily. Drinks well now and will still be drinking well in another 15 years.

1 Like

Agreed, I was perhaps a bit aggressive there, as I actually do really like 2011 in right bank. Recently had VCC, which is outstanding, La Providence, and have had easily 6 bottles of the delish Magdelaine. Not thrilled yet with 2011 left bank. Really enjoyed a 2013 Ausone, but did not a buy anything from that vintage.

This. Every wine I listed was under $125 even after release. Some of those top wines were even under $55. Now that said, VCC and Conseillante are both higher now, but both worth every penny of their current price. The 2014 VCC is basically my wine of vintage, of course discounting the Uber wines that that I do not buy because of price, like the FGs, Ausone, Petrus, etc. I would even recommend splurging on Trotanoy.

I would agree with all the 2014 recs so far - the only thing I would add is that apart from Lanessan, which I haven’t tried yet, I would avoid buying Crus Bourgeois. I’ve had a dozen or so wines and they have mostly been indifferent - green, but also sometimes rather tannic, so not a great combination.
Concerning 2017, it sounds like my sort of vintage, but I’m still waiting for prices to drop further.

As for the Lanessan, I had recently. Promising all the right stuff,needs some more time however!

Sociando also pretty terrific along with some of the St.-Estephes like Phelan and Ormes de Pez. But yeah, not a vintage to be buying random crus bourgeois.

2 Likes

I’m a bit late to the party. For 2014, I would focus on Saint Estephe, Pauillac and St. Julien, in that order.

4 Likes

There were some absurd deals on 17 that you could find. PLCB had 17 cheval and haut Brion for 200/btl.

2 Likes

Have been eyeing this at Wegmans near me, haven’t had this since the 80s.

1 Like

Opened a 14 Fonplegade tonight. With air, a nice wine. Prominent drying tannins the only negative feature. Good now, better down the road.

!!! Wow. I never saw those prices. Good for you!

3 Likes

Grand Puy Lacoste 2014. Good value.

And definitely Leoville Barton 2014. I also have a case of 6 ageing…

PLCB summer sale

1 Like

That explains it

1 Like

Picked up some more ‘14 Montrose at auction after unfortunately reading this thread. But at least it was cheaper than what I bought for on release!

That said I really like ‘14 PLL as well having tried a few bottles, but the price on that has gone up a lot since release.

1 Like

2014 Bordeaux is a good vintage to look for on restaurant wine lists.

2014 pricing on release was like out of a time machine. PLL and Ducru were both under $100 for me, and not even on futures but off the shelf.

3 Likes

Just looked up some of my futures pricing on '14s from K&L. Calon Segur $62.99, Cantenac Brown $39.99, Gloria $31.99, Haut-Bailly $59.99, Leoville Barton $62.99. Give me another ride in that time machine!

2 Likes

Definitely following this further. I own almost all of these wines. With the caveat that some are in a bit of a shut down phase over the last year or two. Haut Bailly, DDC. Even the Lanessan needs time to gain complexity for me. The Sociando is really good right now. Havent tried any of the 3 Pomerol yet but have gone fairly long on both.

I’ll add d’Issan. That is absolutely lovely and kicking.

Labegorce was also a great QPR recently. Tour St Christophe as well.

2 Likes

At the lower end of things, Le Crock 2014 is one I have enjoyed although far from ready. Plenty of fruit and structure for the next few years.

Cheers

Dave

2 Likes