2013 birth year

Not sure Brunello is going to go the distance; with some exceptions.

a 2013 biondi santi? heck. yes.
2013 Pergole Torte? Oh yeah.

on the more affordable side, Felsina Rancia, Felsina Fontalloro, Fontodi Vigna del Sorbo or Flaccionello… there are so many sangioveses to choose from that could easy be birth year wines.

mmmmm … really? Is this something you chalk-up to the vintage, or personal preference?

On the rare occasion I have a Brunello, I prefer them with 20+ years.

Piedmont piedmont piedmont piedmont

Most of the traditionalist producers made outstanding and classic wines in 2013. I have yet to open most of mine, but I am holding many of the Produttori Cru Barbarescos, Brovia, Vajra, Vietti, and Oddero.

There are some that will without a doubt go 20 years like the Biondi Santi and Soldera mentioned above, perhaps also Barbi, Casanova de Neri Tenuta and Il Il Poggione, but I’m not sure about the more modern ones.

+1

Grasso, Brovia, Brezza, Vietti, either Rinaldi, etc will all age very well imo.

For CA cabs I would go with Monte Bello and Togni.

Not sure why this took so long…but absolutely yes!! She’ll laugh when she sees how little you paid by then…

I’m an old world noob. When I see posts like this I think to myself, “can I have a picture of the label???” [scratch.gif]

Just sticking with reds:

I’ll echo the Red Burgundy recommendation. There’s a good chance prices go up, up, up. Can’t go wrong if you want to spend with Mugneret-Gibourg or Rousseau. But you could also spend less and go for something like Chevillon LSG, Cailles, and Vaucrains.

2013 is also a real vin de garde year in the N. Rhône. You could take your pick basically from whatever you can still find.

Lots of good Italian recommendations already. I’d second the Fontodi Flaccionello and Vigna del Sorbo, both built for the long haul.

There are whites too if you want to go down that path. And it’s a very good Champagne year.

For one that is not too expensive, I liked Vajra Bricco delle Viole

If it is has not been mentioned, the 2013 Jamet Côte Rotie is smokin.

I’ve certainly been happier with 13 red burgs I’ve had over the last year than after release. Also have a 13 birth year, I should have waited to buy until more recently as deals have abounded recently, but happy to have what I do. If you are are ok with auctions you can find some great deals now. Barolo (and Napa) are really the main regions with “vintage of the ____” type years but besides red bordeaux most other regions fared fine.

I had earlier recommended California reds such as Shafer Hillside and Dunn HM. Did not get the Shafer, but bought some Dunn and a lot of Ridge. The Monte Bello is outstanding (bought on futures), and the Estate Cab is, IMO, tremendous for the price.

Ed

[winner.gif]

There are still some 2013 Produttori Rabaja available online. That’s a sure winner and affordable. Also, 2013 Brunello Riservas are hitting the market, don’t miss them.

I’m right there with you both. 2013 is my graduation year from Med school, and I went pretty deep on Piedmont wines. And on Sangiovese…

Graduated medical school in 2013 as well. Just now finishing fellowship and at the point I can splurge a little. Was going to buy a few Biondi Santi Brunello, A barolo, champagne and possibly a few 1st growth Bordeaux to celebrate. Then I need to look at 2017 (year I was married) and 2019 (year my son was born) coming soon.

Buy Barbaresco then! (Though honestly, this perplexes me – aside from 4 or 5 estates, Barolo is probably the cheapest of the world’s great wine regions in terms of pricing for dry red wines that will age and improve for 20+ years. A 2013 normale from a quality producer should easily go 25-30 years. Never mind something like '13 F. Rinaldi Brunate that will go 40+ and was widely available for less than $60.)

Anyway, I’m also the father of a 2013er, and a sucker for birth year wines. Sorting in CT for wines over $40 (a crude proxy), I have 24.4% from the Langhe, 22.9% from the Cote de Nuits (and 7.5% from CdB), 8.5% from Napa (very overweighted – it is 3.6% of my total >$40 holdings), and 7.0% from Northern Rhone.

But thinking a bit farther afield, it was an excellent year in Priorat (where a lot of producers have dialed things back and are making very ageworthy wine), a very good year in Sauternes and a reasonably solid year in Germany. The Loire Valley had a tough year and I missed out on buying Huet but would like like to backfill if I get the chance.

congrats on finishing up fellowship!

Biondi Santi is ALWAYS a great choice. the only thing I’d also consider is some German Riesling! Muller Scharzhofbergers or some Kellers maybe? especially for the wedding! Also, I have seen some really good prices on Fontodi’s 2013s recently (ya know… for those graduation anniversaries that don’t call for a first growth? lol)