2013 birth year

+1 Napa Dunn, and Schrader

Ditto. 2013 is a great year for both Riesling and Gruner in Austria. Many of the wines will easily last 20 years, and the are relatively affordable.

It’s bad enough that you’re dragging your own kids into your obsession, but your friend’s kids too? [scratch.gif]

My advice on this issue is always the same. Think of wines that start to drink in 20 years and can go 50.

I agree that top sauternes is often an overlooked good bet, i agree that you ought to give the off dry rielsings a shot, and i agree that the jury is very much out on the GG’s for the long-haul. Tasted a lot of '13 riesling recently over there, if you do go GG, look to the Nahe.

Good advice. Rules out the Cali stuff, though…

+1

Quantity is low, quality comparable to 2012, but of different character. Especially Grüne Veltliner were very successful, but also Riesling and white Pinot varieties in Styria.

So, depending on how you feel about Premier Cru, and how you feel about the so far fairly maligned 2013 bordeaux vintage, there are some well below market deals in today’s offer:
2013 Cheval Blanc $143!
2013 Haux Brion $208
2013 Margaux $208
2013 Mouton $208
2013 Climens $42!

2013 is very fine vintage for Clos de Vougeot - they will cruise past 30 years without blinking…

Where are you seeing these prices please

Priorat

Well it is what it is. My point being you really need wines for the long haul. My first was an 05. Holy shizzle I went nuts. Bordeaux and Burg. Then my second came in. 07. Oops. Forced me to reevaluate. I ended up with a few cases of port. Perfect. Graduations, wedding, birth of children ? Check. Anyway I think as geeks we tend to over value this.

As far as Cali, you could do ridge MB, Dunn or Diamond Creek.

Premier Cru: https://www.premiercru.net

was one of their many email specials this weekend. I would be a little surpised if you haven’t seen them discussed on this forum.

Smith Madrone Cab. I had an '85 a number of months back and it was youthful and spectacular.

I’m putting together a 2013 birth year case, as well, and I’m eyeing some Vincent Paris “Geynale” Cornas. Any other thoughts outside of the Riesling camp greatly appreciated!

{bump} for updated opinions that now have the benefit of four more years of experience. [cheers.gif]

Grand Cru and good premier cru Burgs, if you can find them for good prices. I’ve found roumier and Barthod Cras and barthod fuees for <200, Rousseau cdlr and others for ~300, lots of CSD out there from decent producers; you can maybe find MG at reasonable prices if you look hard enough too.

I recommend not buying those futures from Premier Cru.

I would be all over Italian wines for 2013 birth years.

Hater.

I think I’ve reluctantly accepted that Barolo is “just not my thing,” for the prices they command. But Brunello — that’s another thing! Thanks for your post. [cheers.gif]