2012 Realm Cellars 'The Bard'

Last night I brought a bottle of 2012 Realm Cellars ‘The Bard’ to a wine pairing dinner that included a 2007 Hundred Acre Kayli Morgan Cab, a magnum of 2005 Molly Dooker ‘Carnival of Love’ and a 2008 Quilceda Creek Cab.

Before I opened the bottle I was concerned about consuming this Bordeaux blend (grapes from: Beckstoffer To Kalon, Beckstoffer Dr. Crane, Fortuna and Weitz) so young. However, my risk taking was rewarded, because this wine was singing from the rafters - in fact it was the WOTF. I’ve had some outstanding Napa Cabs and blends over the years, but this wine was right up there with the best of them. The nose on this wine was brimming with black cherry, blackberry, cassis, dark bitter sweet chocolate, espresso, licorice and baking spices. On the palate it delivered the same notes as the bouquet and displayed a balanced structure that gave the wine character, finesse, uniqueness and sophistication. The underlying tannins and backbone of this wine paired magnificently with a bone-in fillet mignon. The smooth, yet powerful finish seemed to go on forever.

The Realm Cellars 2012 ‘The Bard’ is one helluva wine! If you own one, don’t wait this beauty is ready to go!