2012 Nuits St Georges 1er Cru drinking window

I had my first experience with a 1er Cru Nuits St Georges Burgundy a few days ago and it was lovely, it was a 2020 Jerome Chezeaux Rue de Chaux. I wanted to buy a few bottles and accidentally ordered some 2012. I wanted to ask, how should I expect these 2012 to be drinking right now and how might they compare to the 2020 I just had?

1 Like

20 is pretty intense and dark and brooding typically. 12 is just about the opposite. If you liked the 20, the 12 might be a bit light and watery for your pallet. But in general, 12s are drinking absolutely fabulously right now. So pop one soon and find out!

Thanks that’s great to hear. Oddly enough, one of the things I liked about the '20 was how light and subtle it was. But that’s because I am used to drinking Paso Roble’s, Brunello’s and Super Tuscans. This experience I had practically made me want to do a complete 180 and shift gears entirely into Burgundy. Also, the majority of wine I have now needs about 10 years before it’s prime drinking. So I’m kind of excited now to have 6 bottles coming in that are drinking great right now.

1 Like

Welcome to the rabbit hole… :slight_smile:

I knew it was going to be inevitable. Any suggestions on how to build a small relatively affordable entry beyond what I’ve started with? Say 6-8 bottles hovering between $75 to $150 each, with maybe a couple stretching into the $200 range. I’m interested in both red and white Burgundies.

There is another thread on this but for my money I buy:
White: Jacques Carillon
Red: Anne et Harvey Sigaut & Hudelot Baillet
Red & White: Henri Boillot* & Domaine de l’Arlot

*previously there were some issues with premox which tends to happen in white burgundy way more often than what seems like anywhere else. I have not found any from recent vintages. These are tremendous wines at their price point

1 Like