2010 Alex Gambal Puligny Montrachet

13% abv. Medium straw color with clarity. Lanolin, lemon and vanillin on the nose. Lemon curd, shaved coconut and a touch of butter and/or vanilla on the palate. Strong stoniness and firm acids lend balance to the solid fruit. I find this to be a wine that invites subsequent sips, one after another. The first evening I paired it with lobster tail with a butter-lemon sauce and a bit of garlic. The next evening I had it with shrimp. I wish I had more of this wine on hand.

I’m not sure if it’s out of bounds to suggest bargains to be had here, but Flickinger Wines out of Chicago is having a big Gambal sale right now. 2012 Village Puligny for $37, among other things.

I’ve liked his village Puligny and Chassagne.

NAdell, thanks for the tip. They’re $39.99, but that’s still a great price. I just ordered some (my wife is going to kill me when she sees this month’s CC bill). It’s getting hard to find quality village Puligny, Chassagne or Meursault these days for $50 or less.

Hope you enjoy! I picked up a few bottles as well. I am actually having his 12 “Bourgogne Chardonnay” tonight which is much fresher than a few months back, with deeper melon notes than I remembered.

I haven’t tasted any Alex wines in a while. I always found the oak treatment to be a little heavy handed. Has he dialed it back a bit?