2009 St. Cosme CdR

P&P
Very interesting right out of the gate. This shows pretty raspberry, mixed with some under ripe tomato, herb, and garrigue aromas. It has nice earth, wet(hot) river rock, and a strong iron/rusty pipe component on the tail end of the nose. The palate is a nice mix of blood, iron, firm red cherry/kirsch, red currant, and a nice blast of black pepper on the end.
This is much more structured, complex, and interesting than the 07 and 08 SC CdR’s. I would buy a half dozen of these to put away. This 09 is not your every day drinker, but more something serious to lay down. More classic and old school in character than previous efforts. Interesting shift in 09.

Wow. I used to sell this.
Wish I still did!
Thanks for the notes, John.

This is the $10 base bottling? Did you also try the Deux Albion?

Not yet, but will be on the look out. I’m really looking forward to this 09 vintage in the SUD. I really like what I’ve had so far.

What’s the makeup, 100% Syrah like previous years?

I believe this is 100% as in previous years. I drank one last week and it has developed quite a bit from release where it was very primary and grapey. While it doesn’t show as many floral components as often found in the north, it is a fantastic value that should drink well for another 3-5 years.

Just started diving into my '09 CDRs. This is undoubtedly a BTC purchase. Yes, 100% syrah.

If you enjoyed this one, try the '09 Dme. d/Andezon.

Popped the '09 Puech Haut Prestige last night. Will post some notes shortly.

I must have had two cases of the 07. So I was excited to try the 09. Big disappointment. Not buying ant more. I guess I like like 'em fat, not lean.