2009 Restaurant Wine Sales

Do any of you fellow berserkers have a link that provides the average restaurant wine sales in 2009 relative to 2008.

Sure do appreciate it!

No.

But, I’d bet it’s ‘down’.

that’s my instinct as well Chris, but 2008 was also tragic.

Jane, what kind of “tragedy” could you possibly be referring to?

The economy. In this tourist town, our 09 numbers are up compared to 08.

Heard on NPR-yes I’m one of Obama’s Bolshevik comrades-that restaurant sales were down about 10 percent. I don’t recall if that was only here in CA or in the US. Regardless, I thought it would have been higher, but it’s still significant.

I thought I saw something like that in Market Watch or Pattersons. will check.

Andrew, “10%” is what I recall hearing as well…dont remember where I read it though. Miss V-that would be great, thank you

Here’s one take:

http://www.restaurant.org/pressroom/pressrelease/?ID=1879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They’re saying a drop of 2.9%, but that includes Quickservice places, so the kind of restaurants I think you’re talking about would have done worse. Probably not 10% worse, but still worse.

From [u]a Wall Street Journal article of January 13, 2010[/u]:

Year-to-date federal government revenues totaled $487.78 billion, compared to $547.38 billion for the first three months of fiscal 2009. Individual income-tax receipts totaled $207.73 billion, compared to $255.29 billion. Corporate tax revenues were at $33.93 billion, down from $50.37 billion.

That’s showing corporate tax revenues at 33.93/50.37 = 67.36%, or down about one third, in the time period Oct/Nov/Dec 2008 -vs- Oct/Nov/Dec 2009.

I would be surprised if the situation were much different than that at your average restaurant.

Total Restaurant Sales for the first 11 months of 2009 (available here: Monthly Retail Trade - Main Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) were down around 0.7%; full service restaurants were down less, 0.4%. Sales at drinking places were down 1.5%.

This is a rough calculation of all restaurant sales and does not (as far as I am aware) break out alcohol sales at restaurants.

Not much to go on, but this also quotes 10%…