2009 Burgundy, What Have You Purchased...

Got to be, yes Rob? Superbowl bound, I just hope ‘Big Ben’ holds the ball a little too long, all day…
Thinking of running over to either Bens or Smokin’ Al’s for today’s feast!!

Nah. too many ‘bubble searchers’ now. The world comes to an end when people are complacent. Now, no one complacent. Searching for tails/bubbles is the new global sport.

Really, going on past history, would you rather have a 2001 Bachelet 1er Cru or a the 2002 VV?

And with some producers like Jadot, I am seeing some wines where the price differences are almost double. For 2008 Jadot, I paid $51 for Corton-Pougets, $120 for Bonnes Mares, $68 for Clos Vougeot, $67 for CSJ and $33 for Ursules. I doubt I will see comparable wines at comparable values for 2009.

So far, all I have purchased is Maison Ilan in 2009. I am sure I will buy more since I am much younger than Maureen [tease.gif] , but I am also looking at 2006-2008s. I think there are and will be many values to be found in these very good vintages.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] I remember you saying the same thing with respect to 2005s. How many did you buy? I doubt you will buy less than 5 cases of 2009s, probably more like 10 or more.

Hah! Read your initial post and figured that was it. Welcome back! Despite all that Jets crap on your posts!

Look forward to reading your laundry list of incredible buys. I am just trying to work my way up the food chain, without bothering those guys too much. Glad you turned me on to buying in Europe for sure. Sooooooooooo much “cheaper.” 07 Leflaive Chevy for 245…goes on and on.

Surely someone here has visited Leflaive and tasted this Charmes Chambertin? I am buying it on hope alone.

Mike

Can I have both? I really like '01, lots of delicious there, also some good structure…

My advice, based on the very limited number I have tasted, is back up the truck for all the 09 village and 1er cru wines from your favourite producers and backfill grand crus from 08.

Here’s a list of 09s that I’ve either bought or am trying to buy:

Fourrier

• Gevrey Chambertin
  • Gevrey Chambertin Cherbaudes
  • Gevrey Chambertin Combe au Moine
  • MSD Clos Solon

Mugneret-Gibourg

• Vosne Romanee
  • NSG Chaignots

Mugnier NSG Clos de la Marechale

Drouhin musigny

Mason Ilan

• charmes chambertin
  • chambertin

Le Moine

• VR Suchots
  • VR Malconsorts

Cathiard VR

Hudelot-Noellat

• Chambolle Musigny
  • Vosne Romanee
  • Vosne Romanee Suchots

Bachelet

• Gevrey Chambertin VV

Dujac MSD

Pousse d’Or Volnay Clos de la Bousse d’Or

Faiveley clos DES cortons

Groffier

• Bourgogne Rouge
  • Bonnes Mares

Peter

I agree. There is so much good Burgundy these days it is fun to try most vintages from good producers and see what happens to them. Can I hpave both seems the best response.

So far:-

Hudelot-Noellat
Clavelier
De Villaine Mercurey
Jean Marc Vincent
Buisson-Charles

Will end up with similar quantities to 2008 I expect, a vintage which i’m pretty excited by.

So far:
Grivot and then Fourrier, Roumier, Hudelot, Faiveley, Jadot, Bouchard

Hi Mike, similar tastes in burgs indeed. I have gotten Bouchard, Faiveley, Clavelier, Gouges & Hudelot-Noellet so far and am waiting the usual suspects as well (Bachelet, Fourrier, Rousseau, Roumier & Mugnier)

Take care Brodie

Anyone knows of a reliable Bachelet source in the US ping me… :slight_smile:

Sorry Nick, cant’ help as both Mike and I buy our burgs in NZ.

Brodie

Montots? Interesting choice. Who’s offering it already?

Esmonin Ruchottes, Esmonin Estournelles. Both seem to be widely available now at extremely good prices given the love heaped upon them by Meadows and Tanzer this vintage.

Great to see the return of Peter and this thread, reminds me of the good old days!
I’m pretty sure the only 2009s I’ve ordered so far are Chevillon Les Saint Georges and Jadot Clos de la Croix de Pierre. It definitely seems less critical to buy on prearrival this year relative to the 2005s, but it’s probably worthwhile if you see a wine you want at a price in line with the last few vintages.

09 Chevillon Cailles was $110 from one of my regular sources. That made me realize the folly of intended ways.

Yikes, even Zachy’s has this for $99. (You know you got ripped off when…)

Morning all,

I am irritatingly fortunate to have a few small allocations from producers I visit every year - cellar door prices really assist those of us who are hard of income.

Beyond that, there are three wines I am willing to sell my somewhat abused internal organs to acquire. De Courcel’s Pommard 1er Rugiens is frightfully fabulous, and there has been a strong suggestion I can procure three magnums of it. I love mags. Gouges Nuits 1er Clos des Porrets is one of the best young Gouges I’ve had in an age (I am yet to try Vaucrains or Les Saint Georges) and is almost embarrassingly affordable. Finally there is a wine I have had varying success with, but the 09 is the most ravishing example I’ve tasted and jeroboams were on offer, so I’ll be scoring a single, silly-sized bottle of Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Ile de Vergelesses from Chandon de Briailles.

There are so many wines from 09 that are tumescent with lubricity but still harmonious and engorged with intellectual interest that Pinotophiles should not hold back. The 09 offer tastings I attended were mirth-tastic. If I had the sponds I’d be buying some Chablis too, but as I am sure we are all aware the first quality of wine is to be red.

Anon,
David.

Hi David. Nothing more fun than big bottles of Burg. A little hard to come by at times, that’s what makes it fun!

Some more, this week…

Leflaive - Clavoillon and Chevvy Mont
d’Angerville - Ducs
Arnoux - Suchots
Groffier - Amoureuses
and
Roumier - Chambolle, Cras, Amour and BM.

And on to next week!

Keith, can’t worry about the past. These are the ‘good new days’… But the '05 chase was fun as late '06 into '07 was such a pleasant time…