2009 Burgundy, What Have You Purchased...

facing the realities of actuarial tables (I’m 55).
alan

Peter,
Where did you find the Bellene (potel)?

Thanks,
Jb

Hey, Peter, welcome back. I’m like Alan, not buying to cellar, as I’m sitting on a lifetime supply of great Burgs. I’ll probably snag a few '09 singles just to spread the joy up front. Oh, and a few bottles of Ray’s Maison Ilan, which I had to do just because of his revolutionary (for the U.S.) distribution system.

Alan, come on. 55 is the new 30. You’ll live forever!

Jason, a European allocation. I asked for a whole lot and got a little bit

Lew, You could live forever, got to stock up!!!

-peter

Jeesh, there’s a superb chance you all will live to 85, and probably longer. What’s worse, to assume you’ll die younger and find yourself older but with no decent wine to drink for years and years, or to die with wine undrunk (that can simply be sold or drunk by your heirs)?

I will not go anywhere as deep as I did with 05, simply do not have the cellar space, or dollars. Still bought some Bouchard, Faiveley, Gouges (first since 05), Comte Armand, Bruno Clavelier, Hudelot-Noellet, F Esmonin, and have the likes of DRC, Comte Liger-Belair, Rousseau, Mugnier, Bachelet, Sylvie Cathiard, Roumier… reserved on the books of the importers for a few bottles as their allocation is confirmed.

Welcome back Peter. Now all is right in the world. I’ve only got a few. Jadot Musigny, BM, CSJ and Clos de Ursules. Faiveley Corton. I should have a good shot at most of my favorites as I buy from the same people every year. My big holes are DRC and Rousseau. I always need to source those on the market and I know this will be very difficult for 09. Speaking of which, someone told me they heard prices were up 25 to 30 percent at the Domaines. does anybody have any info ?

I forgot, also had bought the three Maison Ilan’s when they were offered last year.

Welcome back Peter.

The only thing Ive actually bought so far is a mixed case of F. Esmonin. Ive tried two wines and was a bit shocked at the heavy oak. Was not what I expected.

I plan on buying (up and down the heiarchy): Drouhin, Jadot, Mugneret-Gibourg, Bertheau and Fourrier. I want to focus on those producers. Perhaps some mid-level Ponost if prices arent too painful.

I bought maybe 10 cases of 09 Beaujolais but I don’t think that counts.

In a sense it does count, I think it might rival the better villages in 09 and beat the village wines in other years.

I’m with alan on this. Apart from my half case allocations of a friend’s Hospice des Beaune annual buy, I’m buying nothing - or at least trying to buy nothing.

Only thing for me so far: 2009 Frederic Esmonin Ruchottes-Chambertin

Barthod Beaux Bruns, Combottes
Bachelet VV, Corbeaux
Fourrier Gruenchers, Combe aux Moines
deMontille NSG Thorey, Puligny 1er, Cuvee Christianne
Lafarge Volnay and vs.
Gouges NSG
Mugneret Gibourg Chaignots, young vine Ruchottes
Hudelot VR village, Suchot, Malconsort
Leflaive Rully, Charmes Chambertin

Handful more waiting to be confirmed. Then it will just be hunting the cherries.

MK

For now, Jadot Gevrey Chambertin Clos St Jacques.

Bought already Boillot ( don’t know if this was wise after reading the 2005 pmox posts ) & Fevre and will take my year in, year out allocation ( if prices are acceptable ) of Leflaive, Raveneau, Mortet, Fourrier, Gouges, Cathiard ( ? ), Vogue, Gerard Mugneret, Mugneret-Gibourg, Roumier, Mugnier & Thibault Liger-Belair. Will look for a few Bernsteins, Dujacs & Perrot Minots - but as these are no regular buys I’ve my doubts that I can get what I want at reasonable prices. Up to now all allocations are confirmed, prices mostly not known up to now, with the exception of Cathiard who seem to be 25 % up, the same situation as with 2005 when the prices rose about 30 % without going down in 06,07 & 08 therefore the " ? ".
Being nearly 55 as well I’m contemplating every year if I should do another campaign but this year I decided 2009 might be the wrong time to slam on the brakes. At least wines are liquid assets not held by a bank [cheers.gif]

Hi Berry, thanks for the “Welcome Back”. I think I’ll get back in the habit of checking in here more regularly.

Mike, your email pulled me back in, your fault!

Just hard to turn down the allocations in a good/great vintage, yes? The buzz starts again, a little excitement, and all of a sudden you’re hunting around for ‘Gaudichots’ or ‘Christianne’ or some other small production ‘oddity’.

In terms of pricing, somewhat 2 sided. At least what I’ve seen, some producers keeping prices in line with the Euro + a little bit each vintage, and some escalating hard and fast.

So far, I have purchased one bottle of Jadot Chambertin-Clos de Beze, one bottle of Henri Gouges NSG Les St.-Georges, Dauvissat Chablis Clos and Preuses and Fevre Clos. I am told that my purchases are running neck-and-neck with Alan Weinberg’s (I am 59), but I have not confirmed that with him yet. However, if I am offered a bottle or two of Christophe Roumier’s Musigny for under $1,000, as the wealthy Russian in the Direct TV commercial “Opulence, I Has It” says, “I jump in it!” Harboring such fantasies is critical for Burgundy collectors…

But seriously, all evidence suggests that 2009, while excellent, is no 2005, and I bought more 2005 than I could afford (as I suspect we all did). Somebody told me that Zachys was offering 2009 Rousseau Chambertin for $1,785 a bottle. I have not confirmed that, and, if true, maybe it is just an aberration. However, there is plenty of Rousseau Chambertin, and it should be a $700 bottle, absolute tops. If that price ends up being indicative (although I suspect not), only a fool would bite. You can buy the much better 2005 for less…

I’m still back-filling on 06 and plan on focusing on 08 more than 09. I did buy a lot of 09 beaujolais, though. I also want to buy some 06 barolos (birth year of the youngest) so some funds will be going there. Otherwise, we’ll see what happens to the market for 09s when (if?) the economy/financial system cracks up again (later this year perhaps?) . If wines are affordable for me, I’ll buy some 09s.

Hirsch comes out of the weeds the weekend when the jets play for SB? Coincidence? Omen? Double rainbow what does it mean?

Hi Bill,
Just looking at the price I paid for Rousseau Chambertin in this decade:

2001 - $150 (US, purchased in '04)
2002 - $205 (London, purchased in '04)
2003 - $150 (London, purchased in '05)
2004 - $145 (London, purchased in '06)
2005 - $315 (US, purchased in '08) and $250 (London, purchased in '07)
2006 - $330 (US, purchased in '09) and $225 (London, purchased in '08)
2007 - $230 (Both US and London, purchased in '10 and '09 respectively)

I assume we’ll get the '08 in the US in a few months and the '09 in early-mid '12. And 6-9 months before in London.

Price-wise, I’d bet ‘direct’ around $250-$275 in London and $350 or so in the US. For the secondary market, who knows. The Zachys number is nuts, they’re just hoping to catch some suckers or (more probably) to put it on 40% off sale. Thinking between $650 and $900 for ‘competitive’ secondary market guys…

-peter