2008 Dauvissat Clos

Aside from the problematic 2008’s, I’m surprised at the amount of premox others have been finding. I haven’t had as much. currently I’ve just worked thru 6 bottles of 2004 AC Chablis, all quite healthy. I do, not infrequently, find sullen bottles that aren’t showing well, but these don’t have oxidative features, and generally open up with 2-3 hours of air. I think most folks on the board would be able to tell the difference between these and the premoxed bottles.

Sadly and coincidentally, I opened a 2008 Dauvissat Les Clos just this minute that was oxidized. :frowning:

A bottle I had back in August was gorgeous.

2008 V Dauvissat Sechet–on opening, B-vitamins (bee vitamins) and lemon, closed. really takes about 2 hours to start opening up. Pristine, nothing advanced. A combination of restrained citrus lean-ness, with an underlying palate richness of 2008. This has a number of years to go (presuming no oxidation). If you have it now, I’d honestly decant it for 2 or so hours before drinking.

At 3 hours, the richness of 08 is coming forth–certainly sweeter, and a little richer at this point, still with a more balanced laser-like citrus acidity. At this point it’s really finally ready to enjoy. honestly, if not premoxed, I’d open and even decant 3 hours ahead, particularly if serving to several people.

Don’t rub it in!
(Which, by the way, was the only thing my 08 was good for…to be used as a linament.)

That’s so sad. The 2008 Preuses last October was one of the two or three best bottles of Chablis I had in 2017.

Brought my second and last bottle of the 08 Clos up to the shop to try. Color was better, it was not as obviously premoxed, but there was something on the finish that seemed to suggest that one should not sit on it for long. A slightly advanced note on the finish. Now, perhaps if left for hours it would have improved and what I was tasting was not impending premox. Nevertheless, not a bottle worth the going tariff of $125-150.

Similar experiences here. We bought a case of mixed 05-10 from HDH auction last year, and its been about 50% premoxed. With that being said, the bottles that we ‘on’ were spectacular. 07 La forest in one evening went: Premox, corked, and then the 3rd one was ok, but fell apart after a few hours. Not chasing these at a ‘burdened cost’ of $180-200/e once you factor in the fail rate. ugh.

Had the 08 La Forest on Thursday, very primary so don’t drank it over two days. No hint of oxidation.

I think Robert, the OP, don’t drank his Clos at all.

An interesting side-line on premixed Chablis is that I have an unsubstantiated feeling that Les Clos might be premoxed most frequently of perhaps all of the vineyards. I certainly had more trouble with clos Fevre than any others, and sometimes reports with Dauvissat seem to point me that way. Perhaps just reported more often because there is more disappointment? (can’t think of the last time I had a premoxed Forest.)

Maybe the indigenous yeast Premoxicus Frustratingus has not found its way out of the Clos vineyard into the others yet.

Or maybe people just hold Clos the longest? Sitting on a '10 Clos and this thread has me thinking I ought to drink it sooner rather than later.

It’s always hard to decide whether it is better to open those WB’s relatively early to lessen the risk of premox but also most likely miss tasting the wine at its peak maturity…vs. waiting and taking one’s chances. If I had one bottle I might wait…at 8 years if destined to premox it may already be showing signs, and for me even early signs make the wine fairly undrinkable. If not destined to premox, then it may be that much better at its peak. If I had several bottles, I would certainly dip in…out of curiosity, not because one good or bad bottle is much of a predictor for the rest.

If not oxidized, a 10 Clos may well be shut down still (for me, 5-8 or so years is the period where the wines can be rather closed), but I haven’t tried one recently. again when not oxidized, I would say the 07 PC’s are just into the beginning of peak enjoyability.

I think the premier crus have a little more phenolic material that helps keep them fresh

PSA. Pulled the 14 Clos due to this thread. It’s a shade darker (yellow vs pale straw) and a little richer than release. No premox notes yet but I would say drink up. Acid isn’t anywhere near as bracing as 2 years ago.

when ordering a bottle of 2008 Clos from Dauvissat a michelin starred restaurant in Burgundy we returned the bottle. The sommelier came to us and told us “tout les 2008 de Dauvissat sont comme ça”, basically saying that alle 2008’s he had are premoxed. We tasted Les Clos again back home and indeed also premox. One friend opened a bottle of Chablis villages 2008 and this still tasted young. Difficult to understand…

not what we want to hear.

:neutral_face:

Having the 2007 les Preuses and Clos tonight. Hoping for a better showing.

Jason