2007 Trimbach CFE - premox arrgh

Bought 2 years ago, a cellar release direct from winery to retailer. Much darker yellow than I was expecting. Sherried oxidative palate, completely shot.

Emailed retailer and got a great response. They will replace the bottle (same wine, same vintage) no problem. Retailer told me that in their experience, Trimbach have been terrible in recognizing and accepting oxidized bottles and that they would wear the cost.

24 hours later, got an email from retailer, Trimbach agreed bottle was flawed and will include a replacement bottle in next shipment. Retailer says that this is first time ever from Trimbach!

happy ending - other than the fact is was under cork and not screw cap

Brodie

A new generation is stepping into the forefront at Trimbach. Many things are changing.

Interesting that you had an issue with a 2007 though. I have not seen any issues with vintages past 2001 to date. Perhaps just a random bad bottle/cork?

I’ve had 8 brilliant bottles out of 15 bought…but the last bottle(#9) in Dec was poxed.

I’m five for five good bottles so far. Have seven more. Won’t get to another for at least a few months. Too much other stuff in queue.

3x2008 CFE …one really outstanding,one advanced,one absolutely poxed.

Ouch.

I was going to say one bad bottle doesn’t necessarily mean premox, but now with several reported out of not a huge number opened, it does seem like premox. I hadn’t heard of it until now in recent vintages.

Why is it happening in Alsace but not Austria or Germany? I understand that no one knows, but it is curious.

I had one Last year that I found “advanced” at minimum, too. I had tasted it a year earlier from a “good” bottle and thought it was phenomenal. Kind of reassuring to know that it isn’t just me. I only had the one bottle…