2006 Betz Clos de Betz, 2007 Loring Russell Family vyd Pinot

2006 Betz Clos de Betz

Decided to pop one of these after the disastrous 06 D2 we had last night. Wanted to taste a similar WA right banker generally in the same style. Different animal from the Delille altogether. Dark, velvety maroon color. Sweet fruit on the nose. Ripe and big for sure. The attack yields fresh red and black fruit which carry through the mid palat with some sweetness finishing up with simultaneously sweet and drying tannin. This wine differs as it is a rich style, but you taste more fruit and tannin than barrel. Oak is present, but doesn’t dominate. Great example of a new world red made in a rich style which still offers balance and class.

2007 Loring Russell Family Vineyard Pinot Noir

Dark garnet color. Deep red fruit on the nose. Sweetness is obvious on the first sip and mid palate. Bing cherry and fresh raspberry all around. Long finish with more- you guessed it, red fruit. Very nice sipper which I wish offered a bit more acidity and earthiness, but not what I expect here.

Went from our front yard to the back where we tossed some sockeye fillets caught in Alaska last Wed and purchased this morning at the West Seattle farmers market while the wifey whipped up pasta with a light butter garlic glaze with fresh tomatoes, spinach and asparagus from this morning’s market.

The Loring sang with the salmon. We toyed around with popping another bottle, but luckily went the other way. No kidding, the Loring and the salmon were made for each other. The Betz was a bit big for the meal, but the remainder of the bottle made for lovely after dinner cocktails.

Rocked the complete 1973 Winterland series with all this. Life is good in West Seattle!

Thanks for the note on the Betz Tony, I haven’t tried that wine yet and I was thinking about it. I had a Costco King (11.99 lb) tonight with a 87 BV Rutherford Cab…Life is also good in Gig Harbor.