2000 Magdelaine

It’s gotta taste better, Claus, at the $499 price. Right?

Never tried 1982, but I am sure it is great. Maybe not 499$ great
Just bought 85, 86,89,90,94

It is great. For me at least it is not $499 great.

+1

I just grabbed a few 1998 Magdelaine for $110.

1998 for $110. Is that 1.5L?

Alas, no. 750 ml, $110 (that price includes the sales tax now being charged but not shipping)

Brought another bottle of this to a BWE gathering in DC last night. Showing really well, just as the notes above describe it. Among my top 2 or 3 on the night, with 1989 Pichon Baron, 1990 Léoville Barton, 1986 Talbot, and another passel of excellent Bordeaux.

Hate to admit it, but WOTN was a 1995 Bouchard Corton. My Bordeaux badge may be revoked.

Edit: 1986, not 1886 Talbot

That is a killer line-up, minus the Burg, of course. I may need to break up with you. I cannot image what that 100+ year old Talbot was like! [cheers.gif]

Ok, I know that’s a typo. The 86 Cordier stable is exceptional. And the 89 Pichon Baron and 90 Leoville Barton, are oh my gosh wines for me. I’ve had several bottles of the 2000 Magdelaine. It’s excellent. Would love to see how it fares in that left bank line-up. Hard to beat Cordier from that era, but even that 89 Baron knocks me out.

Oops, typo fixed…

1989 Pichon Baron and 1986 Talbot have been so consistently great for so many years.

The 2000 Magdelaine was lovely, and shows like a younger cousin of the spectacular 1990 I had last year.

It was interesting to contrast what I feel is still a very young wine with a lot of much older Bordeaux - 1970-1990 on saturday. The other young wines were a 2004 Gracia, which showed modern, and an 03 Montrose, which wasn’t as torrid as I had expected but still didn’t have anywhere near the poise and depth of the Magdelaine. So the Magdelaine really stood alone among the younger Bordeaux.

Most of my Magdelaines are in storage, but I found a 1998. It is in a lovely place now, spices, and deep fruit, and an amazing smoky paprika note. Absolutely delicious, originally served with cheese, but ditched the cheese as it was interfering with the wine.

I cracked a 98 recently and concur with marks notes. Wild array of flavors nicely knit together.

I should have mentioned I missed a vertical Magdelaine tasting, so opened the 1970 and 1982, and they were utterly spectacular. Not sure which I preferred, the 1970 had an elongation and classicism which gave it an archetypal old school character, the 1982 opulent by Magdelaine standards but still tempered by the austerity and precision I would expect. Both brilliant, and one of those pairings where the sum is better than the parts.

I purchased a case of the 1995 Magdelaine a couple of weeks ago in Blighty, which worked out at about $75 a bottle all in.

Nice score, Ian. I have high hopes for the 95 once it’s fully ready.

Give it another five years?

Yes, nice buy with the '95 Magdelaine, Ian. Enough to test-taste over several years.

I’d say at least 10. If not 15.

I do a charity tasting every year, and anyone is interested the 2020 one is going to be Magdelaine going back to 1959.

(The 2019 is going to be Pichon Lalande).