2000 Magdelaine

Music isn’t better just because its louder.

That’s Magdelaine for you!

Sounds like the 2000 is in a great spot. This is one I’ll need to seek out.

David I just did. Trusting Patrick’s and Ramon’s palate I just bought a case realising I have very little Magdelaine in my cellar, just the odd bottle of 1988. Probably not as cheap as it was seven years ago.

Given how good vintage Magdelaine’s price creeps up over time, Ian’s case price would likely be a steal 7 years from now.

I paid $93 all-in at auction for a few recent bottles of the 2000 Magdelaine. That is a fair/good price I think, especially given that the final releases (2009, 2010, 2011) are at least that much at retail.

By the way, one critic who fully gets Magdelaine is John Gilman — for my money, his Magdelaine notes and scores are spot on across the board (and I hope he’s especially correct about that 08 which I got a case of when K&L was dumping it for $45).

I paid $80 and $99 this year for the 2000 and $45 for the 2002. The 2011 was like $50 at a Wally’s sale, then I paid normal retail for 2009 and 2010, like $90-100.

$50 for Magdelaine is a no-brainer. Nice scores!

I’m seeing the 2000 for $103 but not sure if I can get it shipped here. Will do a bit of research.

I paid the equivalent of $110 per bottle all in after tax.

‘89 could be great but some bottles still tannic surprisingly. The hardest to source is probably the ‘85.

I snagged an 85 off WineBid. I think Jayson brought it to my attention. Have never had it, but soon.

Agree - I keep an eye out for small lots. Pounced on a single bottle on Winebid last April for $115 hammer.

Edit: now I see Robert chimed in. There were 2 or 3 single lot bottles last spring.

FWIW- Moueix are now starting to do library releases of Chateau Magdelaine. This fall I purchased a 6 pack of the 1994 and a 12 bottle OWC with 3 bottles each of the 2000, 1998, 1990 and 1975 (OWC branded to indicate the vintages included.) I am hopeful that some future releases will include the 1985 which, as others have indicated, is very hard to find.

Obviously these bottles are more expensive than secondary market purchases- I think I paid around $2,500 for the mixed case and $700 for the six pack of 1994- but I would also advise that the premium is worth it given Magdelaine’s history in the US marketplace. Simply put, while a small number of us are rabid fans, the world at large has not shared that love- especially starting in the late 90s when the stylistic shift in Bordeaux to suit the current market really started to accelerate. As such, older vintages in the secondary marketplace today have a higher risk than usual for potentially having languished in retail conditions for an excessive period of time. CT tells that tale well- there are quite a few lackluster TNs that are suggestive of bottles that are advanced due to poor provenance.

You never know- but generally Magdelaine is most safely purchased when a broker or auction house gets a collection of several vintages held by a Magdelaine fan and collector, or now via these library releases. (And note- my ITB status has zero connection with distribution of Magdelaine library releases, plus my extensive holdings are for my own consumption and would be among the last things I would ever sell should I find myself needing to trim the cellar.)

Love the funk in Magdelaine
The 2000 is starting to show it [cheers.gif]

Great notes Pat and Rob. Love Mageldelaine and continue to be impressed by some under the radar 2000s which continue to show very well. The vintage obviously got hype for the FGs and it’s millennial symbolism but some great juice around.

Cheers

I picked up a few of these because of this thread, and I have to say the wine is everything Pat and Robert have made it out to be.

• 2000 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/5/2019)
    Purchased 2019 from Benchmark. Perfect cork and fill, dark red core, lighter at rim without bricking. Nose is all about rich, moist, dark earth overlying dark cherry and hints of mint and vegetal notes. Medium body, excellent balance, fruit and earthy notes play beautifully off of each other. Moderate aged complexity with plenty of acid and fruit to develop even more in the coming years. Drinking wonderfully now but still on the upswing. Excellent.

They did a library release of the 1985 a few years ago. I snagged 2 bottles,but iirc they were pricey.

I’m STILL chasing down some Magdelaine because WB has made it the most desirable wine I’ve not yet found…

I just grabbed some 1982 Magdelaine.

Rare Wine Company has a mag of 1975 library release for $499.

Luckily most vintages received bad rating from the Niel Young lookalike with the 15 point system, so they are priced @ max 60 $ here in EU