2.5" bone-in Ribeye ... how to cook?

I really have no clue what I’m doing right now … I’m giving it a sear on all 3 sides, then going to finish in the oven.

I would be curious to hear from folk who actually know how to do this what the best method is. Much thanks. [thankyou.gif]

and … great … I’ve already realized it would have been better to sear on one side, the edges, the seared the other side in the oven … oh well … i’ll see how it goes … I guess I’ll just flip it once while in the oven.

Brian,

I find that searing for 3 minutes on the first side and then 2 minutes on the next is best.
Finish indirect in the oven or on the grill.
For a steak that big, for mid rare, you need about 7 to 8 minutes of indirect at about 350 F or so.
For rare, 6 minutes or less.

If you enjoy black and blue or Pittsburgh style. You can just do 3 and a half minutes sear on each side on high sear.
I would still leave it for a minute on indirect just to make sure the thing is heated all the way through.

Hope this helps.
That is a thick steak too.

Bill Landereth will be a great source of info here if he sees this.

Sear over a HOT grill on both sides, move to indirect heat and turn down grill or move to oven to desired doneness… Pretty much what Don said…

JD

Thanks guys. [thankyou.gif] If I would have done exactly what you both said, it would have turned out perfect.

I seared each side for about 3-4 minutes, then plopped it in the oven at 400 for about 6 more minutes (3 on each side). Removed it from oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes. It turned out to be a good medium, but I prefer med.-rare. I gave it a dry rub of salt, pepper, ground fennel seed, ground anise seed, a few red pepper flakes, thyme, and rosemary before searing in a cast iron pan. The sear formed an excellent crust. The only thing I would do differently next time is shorten my cooking time, and lower the oven temp.

With a cut this thick, do you think there is any advantage to using Alton Brown’s method for cooking a roast? Starting it at room temperature in the oven at 350 or so until it reaches the desired internal temp, and then blasting it on a super hot grill for a minute or two on each side.