1999 Truchard Cab "Carneros"

What a delightful wine!

Still a dark red wine, leaving on slightly less opague legs. On the nose, a lot of cedar, violents, and old spice. On the palate, bright dark fruit ( currants and blackberry) , with a hint of strawberry, with excellent notes of leather and earth. This wine has a finish that goes 45 seconds plus. This tannins are still very present, yet a bit tight. This wine has easily another decade of very enjoyable drinking ahead of it. The bottle shows an alcohol level of 14.2%, but it is so well integrated now, I thought it to be much less.

Upon release, about ten years ago, I gave this wine an 88-89. Now this wine has easily developed into a 91-93. A very tradition style cab that continues to develop. Hold or drink now. 99 was a great year and the then Truchard team was at the top of its game.

This wine was about $35 at release (minus the wine club discount for me). QPR off the charts!

I really like what Truchard does with Bordeaux varietals. I got a killer deal on 2001 Truchard Cab Franc not too long ago.

Truchard has always made really nice wines. They were some of the first wines I added to my collection 12 or so years ago. In fact, I’ve been eyeing their 1999 Syrah for this weeks virtual tasting.

Randy;

Recently had the 99 syrah from my cellar, you will not be disappointed. Very well done!