1991 vintage help

Hi all

I looked around posts via the search function already, but it’s very scattered so here goes;

For a retirement present, i’d like to source the 1991 vintage. The recipient likes Bordeaux, Riesling, Rhone, South/South West, Italian, Spanish and finally Port too. So we’re not talking a picky drinker, but picky enough that he knows when a wine is past it’s prime obviously. Looking around at idealwine among others and I see some fair contenders, but I was curious if anyone has had something recently that was a great glass?
Plus points for lower price of the spectrum and ideally sourceable from Europe.

The best 1991s I have had were California Cabernet like Ridge MB, Togni and Chateau Montelena.

9 Likes

He likes American wine too of course, and i forgot to write this. Will have a look! Thanks

The best 91s I’ve had have been burgundy, especially Rousseau, but from the list you posted I like 91 beaucastel

1 Like

91 Cali Cab is probably the safest way to find something that’s not $1,000+ and not over the hill. Monte Bello, Montelena, Monday Reserve etc all are good. There best 91 Burgs and N Rhône are other-worldly but super pricey.

5 Likes

Thanks Ryan and @MChang, Beaucastel is a great idea.
Rousseau would have been amazing but it’s a dinner with a couple of non-geeks.

1991 togni
1991 La Las (just had La Turque)

3 Likes

The trouble is finding them.

Napa/Sonoma Cabs and Zins
Northern Rhone
Single Quinta Ports
Rioja/Ribera del Duero
Brunello

1 Like

I feel like I can throw a [light] stone into a field of random '91 Napa and Sonoma Cabs and hit a great one. Such a great vintage.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Not the easiest thing to do, but i have a month to try so lets see what happens.
Thanks for your suggestions — if you have any memorable cuvees please let me know!

Absolutely! The CT reviews i checked looked very promising. Unfortunately they seem a little harder to find in Europe.

Sorry, I didn’t catch that detail at the end of your post.

1 Like

1991 Jaboulet Aîné La Chapelle Hermitage is good.

2 Likes

+1 for Montelena, such a classy wine

2 Likes

Certainly a lot of love for it here!

Plenty of excellent 91 ports available in Europe and far higher probability of getting a good bottle imho,

This. Just drank a 1991 Spottswood this past weekend and it was amazing. With a little air it deepened and exploded with flavor. Yum!

1 Like

1991 was a desaster in the Southern Rhone. Beaucastel was decent, but should now be in serious decline.

1991 is great in Cote-Rotie and Cornas outstanding in Hermitage.

In Burgundy it was a difficult year, huge sucesses (Rousseau, Dujac, DRC) and major disapointments (Mugneret, Lamarche, Faiveley, Gouge, Cathiard etc) are a dangerous field.

Bordeaux is a total washout, many right bankers declassified. Pichon- Lalande is ok.

California is outstanding, but I haven t tasted many.

Port can be good.

Also a very good year in south Australia, and not in a simple ‘big is better’ way

1 Like

Guigal Brune et Blonde was very good in ‘91. Not much difference in quality vs the single vineyards and only a fraction of the price.

1 Like