1991 Jamet

On one hand I’m glad to have drunk many very good to great 80’s and 90’s Northern Rhones because I can’t afford them at these prices… But on the other hand I’m sad I didn’t save them for funding retirement. I remember drinking my last $30 Verset Cornas (the 99) with pizza on a weeknight! And 91’s were plentiful and cheap in the late 90’s - the hype was mostly 89/90. Such is life

That’s exactly what a friend of mine (and Jayson’s) did with his '99 Versets. He’d buy a case and bring it into work to open for people with pizza. For me $30 was still a noticeable amount to spend so I’d be a lot more sparing with mine.

Why is the '90 Jamet so significantly different from the '91? Weren’t both vintages considered excellent for Northern Rhone? Yet the '90 Jamet is nothing but tart eucalyptus juice at this point.

The Northern Rhône is not all the same. Plus producers sometimes excel in different vintages. With that said in Côte Rosie the nearby vintages that are great there are 1988 and 1991. A bit different than one would ascribe to say Hermitage where 1990 often reigns. All those 4 vintages made many great wines.