1991 Jamet

I agree with you Angelo, but the market value may be higher than we think. I was watching the lot live. If I remember correctly, there were more than a few bidders willing to pay big money and bidding it up.

But you’re right; it’s highly doubtful that $2000 is the current market value of 1991 Jamet. But one could argue that market value is what one is willing to spend (or perhaps many), and with such low supply, it could be a lot higher than we all think.

Ryan–I think the one bottle available thing at Rare Wine means that they’ll only sell one bottle to each individual, not that that’s their entire supply.

Thanks, John. It looks like that they do limit to one per customer.

We’re getting pretty late in the cycle huh

Which auction house?

HDH

HDH told someone that a case of 1991 Jamet would be worth $80000-- in ten years?

That’s crazy; it won’t be worth a penny over $50000.

Oh that wasn’t HDH. I missed your quote below. Sorry

I’d take the under on that bet…

Jamet 91 has always been tough. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full case for sale. Word has it that someone in nyc snapped up most of the US allocation years ago.

Yes, that was Steve Plotnicki. Stuart Yaniger opened one for him and he went on a quest for it, driving up auction prices to what then seemed absurd levels but now seem cheap.

Some urban legend are true.

I remember Steve and Stuart! Do they still post anywhere? Some interesting “discussions” with Klapp back in the day I seem to recall…

The first Côte Rotie I ever tried was the 1991 Jamet, which began a long love affair with Northern Rhone syrah, so it has always been very special to me. I bought most of my 1991 Jamet from a local retailer’s Kacher allocation from its original release, but about 15 years ago I realized that I was running low and decided to try to restock. I ended up in a bit of a bidding war with Steve on Winebid, where I knew I was bidding against him but I doubt he knew it was me on the other side. I ultimately won the lot for about $100/bottle, which was painful (the other 10 or 12 I bought at retail were about $30 each) but fair for the quality. In hindsight, I feel better about the purchase.

I don’t know about Stuart but I thought Steve got thrown off every board he posted on. Well deserved too.

Yaniger had cases of the stuff. I wonder if he still does. He bought them for like $15 bottle at the Marché in Ampuis.

If I was you, I’d hold on to 1 or 2 and sell the rest as it is probably getting a little long in the tooth…

He wasn’t so bad if you knew how to take him. Knowing his posting style it was easy to be amused rather than annoyed when he started up. Funniest was when Dressner use an exact copy of Steve’s posting style against Steve on the Opinionated About board. He got thrown off for that :slight_smile:. Good times…

From what I understand Steve is mostly occupied with Opinionated About Dining these days. Haven’t heard anything about Stuart in years.