190 Points of Riesling (1993 Weil, 2001 Prum)...

…but only 186 points if Adrian is scoring.

• 1993 Weingut Robert Weil Kiedricher Gräfenberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Rheingau (11/12/2017)
    Medium gold colored with a nose of honey, orange marmalade, and spice. Gobs and gobs of botrytis in this wine…the noble rot indeed. On pop and pour the wine was good, but on day 3 it has blossomed into something special. Thick and rich on the palate, with orange marmalade, spice, honey and just enough acidity to keep it from being flabby. Seems sweeter and more appropriate for dessert on day 3 – air definitely improves this wine. Fully mature, but no rush to drink. Hard to drink more than a glass, prefer it with a good chill as the wine seems richer as it warms.

8.5% ABV. Score represents day 3. (94 pts.)

• 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/11/2017)
    White fruits, with golden apple, comice pear and lemon layered over a subtle streak of stoniness, with a whiff of smoke for good measure. On day one the acid was quite prominent, on the second day, the wine seemed more integrated; definitely worth a decant at this stage. Medium weight and super fresh. Complex, but still very much an infant. While incredibly delicious now, this will only continue to improve for years to come. Wait a minimum of 5 years if you only have one. So, so, so, so good. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Both of these wines were consumed at a dinner welcoming Todd, who was in from Boise. A 1994 Zilliken Spat that he brought was another standout, but I didn’t get a good note. This was my first Weil. The wine is richer than I normally drink, but quite delicious in moderation. The Prüm is unreal.
Now in the lead for my WOTY.

Yes! The 2001 Prum wines are just starting to get there. Long future ahead.

Agree.

I imagine that you tasted the Prüm young? I didn’t, but I wonder how much it evolved because the wine still has a delightfully precocious quality. There is so much fantastic material that I can imagine it lasting for decades.

It’s extremely slow development. Then again, that’s Prum.

Terrific notes so thanks.

My pleasure, Bob. I am always gratified when someone else gets some value from my impressions.

Thank you for the timely report. I’ve got a few of those Prüms I’ve been eyeing lately.

I served an 01 kabinett Saturday that was just smashing. Had to decant due to crumbly cork and thw wine was almost evervescent. So fresh and delicious. Knocked the socks off my guests.