17 Charlopin Chambolle AC and WHWC mini gripe

I really wanted to like it as it was well-priced.

1 Like

Well, I donā€™t think it is all that high these days, just in terms of percentage. I havenā€™t tasted with Philippe other than informally, but IIRC the communal AOCs see 50% new. I had a look at other reviewersā€™ commentaries and no one mentions much about oak - either how much is used, or its perceptibility. Allen Meadows and Neal Martin have both been talking up recent vintages. But as I say, I havenā€™t myself tasted.

The 2016 CSD is very nice! I tasted it with him and CĆ©cile a few years ago.

I think often in these sorts of situations it would be a mistake to underestimate what can happen with a bit more time in bottle. I had a very overtly oaky 2017 Rousseau Gevrey AOC in December, for example, but I suspect the (all used, in this case) wood will be imperceptible in a dozen years. During Ć©levage one sees the same thing. A wine that seemed seamlessly integrated one week can be dominated by oak lactones the next; but it will typically come round.

has any one tried the charlopin franc de pied? always been curious about it but have yet to see a bottle in the wildā€¦

maybe iā€™ll just hold onto my other bottles for awhile then.

Yeah, give one a shot in four or five years. You donā€™t have much to looseā€¦

Curious if these were actually imported by Adventures in Wine or other legally organized importer, holding up Gregā€™s distinction that threatened to highjack the thread.

Iā€™ve never tried these producers but used to buy regularly from WHWC. Now curious. (WHWC emails were too tempting so I unsubscribed from them to save money. Very effective.)

Thanks William - for pointing out the fact that wine aged in used oak barrels ( 2017 Rouuseau Gevrey AOC ) could make the wine overtly oaky when young. I was under the wrong impression that wine tasted oaky ( when open young ) was mainly due to the use of new oak barrels.

I personally do mind the use of new oak barrels by my prefer producers. Ŧhere is no over-oak wine except under-wine wine.

Iā€™ve often found the Charlopin wines to be, much like Gregā€™s attempt to rationalize his misuse of the ā€œmerchantā€, over-extracted and puzzling. But my experience is limited to the Bourgogne franc de pied. I bought Desaunay Bissey in 2005 - but never again because they are bad. Anytime a merchant, importer, retailer or other person engaged in the wine trade for profit suggests I try three burgundy producers that are really great but just donā€™t sell because no one is familiar with them, my inner skeptic kicks in. Doubly so if the sale pitch includes a reference to the producer being a relative of some famous and outrageously priced producer.

Yeah, honestly, the 2018 Chambolle-Musigny I made with two once-used barrels tastes ā€œoakierā€ than the 2019 I made with 50 per cent new. But it was good for me, as a critic, to see that first hand. At least for Pinot Noir in Burgundy, I think integration has more to do with the quality and character of the oak, and its relation with the wine, winemaking and Ć©levage approach of the producer, than the quantity of new oak.

1 Like

William - thanks for your example of 2018 Chambolle- Musigny which you had made with two once-used barrelsā€¦and the 2019 with 50% new.

Very interesting comments.

For me to really understand why it is like - as I am scratching my head -; I assume that you were talking about the same substance : grapes in Chambolle-Musiguy in the year 2018 and also the grape in Chambolle-Musigny in the year 2019. Am I right ?

If this is the caseā€¦my guessā€¦it has more to do with the weather condition of growing seasons ā€¦ALSO ?

((((( At least for Pinot Noir in Burgundy, I think integration has more to do with the quality and character of the oak, and its relation with the wine, winemaking and Ć©levage approach of the producer, than the quantity of new oak.))))

No, I think it was more to do with the provenance, grain, seasoning, etc of the barrels!

Thanksā€¦better ā€¦to stay and keep on drinking the wine ā€¦thanā€¦to figure out how it was made.

Iā€™ve had many beautiful bottles from Desaunay-Bissey. Weygandt has brought them in for awhile, or if they donā€™t anymore at least they used to.

agreed. The pitch I always laugh at is when the wine comes from the same grapes or plot as famous so and so, hence wonderful. So I guess if I use Monetā€™s paints, I can paint as well as he?