100 years seems about right for Pommard

I’ve always thought we drink Pommard too young. Last night’s bottle was splendid. One of the best aged wines I have ever had.

1923 Chevillot Pommard: The bottle had a mid-shoulder fill, cork came out in one piece and had done a marvelous job. This was a beautiful bottle of wine, with complex aromas and flavours. It had notes of teak, leather, moss, seaweed, blood and smoked meats. The palate had something sweet and vinous at its core and all sorts of savoury nuance. It had the slippery texture of an oyster and tannins were completely resolved. The finish has wonderful acidity and fabulous length.

13 Likes

fascinating and thanks for the write up.

care to share the history of this bottle? anything about the producer or vintage?

1 Like

I guess I’ll wait on mine.

6 Likes

So this is why I’ve always preferred average Volnay to top shelf Pommard! I just need to live to the age of 130 to enjoy my remaining bottles🤪

Enjoyed the note though.

2 Likes

Hi Yaacov,

It was a bottle that I bought as part of an older wines parcel out of Paris. I believe it came from a restaurant cellar and had been there for a very long time. I know nothing about the producer but did see a positive note on a 1923 Bonnes Mares from Chevillot in Allen Meadows and Doug Barzelay’s ‘Burgundy Vintages’ book.

cheers
Jeremy

5 Likes

Well, Jeremy, I suppose everything was a bit “rustic” in Burgundy in 1923!

Glad it showed well.

2 Likes

Yeah–I had figured about 30 years for Pommard. I guess I’ve been going about it all wrong…

2 Likes

“100 years seems about right for Pommard”

I couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

All my Pommard is from 2015 or so. Anybody’s grandkids looking like potential Burg fans?

3 Likes

And here I was worried about a 1976 les Epenots might start dipping and it turns out I’m quite unlikely to catch it at its prime +50 years from now.

Nonetheless, happy to hear how well it showed!

Not much ageability left huh? :grimacing:

1 Like

Cellartracker thought this was over the hill in 1930.

1 Like

I think that was RMP’s drinking window.

1 Like

So what I am to do with all the Violot-Guillemard in the cellar?

1 Like

Pommard made today doesn’t need longer than the wine of any other village before it becomes enjoyable, on the whole, though Courcel might be an exception. The characterisation of the wines as burly and brutal is outdated; that’s really true of only the least of village plots.

2 Likes

Fascinating notes as always, Jeremy. You are able to taste (and share notes for) some truly rare, unusual, and amazing bottles. I love your pithy poetic write ups.

I’ve wondered, for all the amazing aged bottles you post about, how many dead OTH wines do you try? I’ve never had the privilege of drinking wines anywhere near the age/rarity of many that you post about regularly, and nonetheless, have had my fair share of bottles that are totally dead. Just curious about your fail rate, since us WBera tend to only hear about the successes.

Thanks and please keep posting about these amazing wines!

Noah

5 Likes

Thanks Noah.

With regards to 50+ years of age, not a huge percentage that are completely shagged. When they are it is usually tca that affects them (maybe 5%). You sometimes have to be a bit forgiving with them, as there’s a bit of volatility or aldehyde. There’s the odd bottle where the cork has completely failed and it is oxidised, but less as a percentage than tca in my experience.

cheers
Jeremy

Agree Tom. The modern wines are much gentler of extraction and picked a little riper. We import the Domaine Michel Rebourgeon wines into Australia. They have a suite of excellent Pommard vineyards, with serious vine age, and make enthralling, highly perfumed wines that can be enjoyed young. I don’t doubt they’ll age for decades too.

3 Likes

I was planning to include a bottle of 1926 Corton into a tasting next year. Perhaps I should wait three years.

You should Mark. It will be entering its drinking window then.

2 Likes