07 Brunellos - Anyone tasted them?

Anyone tasted them and have an opinion on how they compare to 04 & 06? Particularly Il Poggione and Talenti?

I tried a few at Vinitaly, but not those two. To my palate (and nose) Gianni Brunelli, Canalicchio di Sopra, Ciacci Piccolomini, Lisini, Col d’Orcia, Marchesato degli Aleramici, Crociona and Biondi Santi were outstading.

I’ve only tried two so far.

Canalicchio di Sopra 2007 - First round; Sweet, rich nose, not warm. Soft on the palate, dark fruit, nicely balanced, dark flavors but not over the top, fine tannins, light oak finish. Second round; much better, dark red cherries, balanced.

Casanova di Neri 2007 Tenuta Nuova - Sweet, rich blackberry nose. Tannic palate with sweet blackberry plus some oak. “Modern”. Tasty and accessible now.

I’m a fan of Canalicchio di Sopra and think 2007 is a great wine but I want to try again before buying. I’m approaching the vintage with extreme caution meaning that I’m not even buying producers I know I like without tasting at least once. It was a warm vintage and I expect many wines will be more fruity and round than I like and maybe a bit hot. There were a couple 2006’s in the line-up and preferred the 2006’s overall.

I’ve found the same when tasting 2007 barolo and barbaresco against 2004’s, 2005’s, and 2006’s. I bought big for 2004 and 2006. Might be good for my palate and credit card to sit out this vintage.

Not many comments on this vintage/DOCG here, but I figured this was a good place to append a note on the 2007 Caparzo [Brunello di Montalcino] which was very enjoyable over two nights. This is a large production mid tier quality / price producer, perhaps drunk more by oenophiles off wine lists, rather than cellared at home. But I’d laid this away to dermarc a notable year, and thought this was super, better than its reputation would suggest. This one was brought over by Vineyards Brands, and the 13.5% abv sangiovese showed lots of structure, and fine acid. It has some red licorice notes, maybe fennel too. It was great with food - a chicken Marsala supper. A- on my ledger.

The wine is holding together well, and can still keep. I feel like other 2007 Tuscans I’ve laid down are heading downwards though.

2 Likes

To answer the original question, 42 times according to Cellartracker. Very few were impressive. In my opinion very few 07s from Tuscany have aged well.

1 Like

I had the 2007 Valdicava late last year, and it was definitely drinking at its peak.

1 Like

I haven’t had many 2007s, but a 2007 Pian Dell’Orino Bassolino di Sopra was my wine of the year in 2023. I think the best producers should be peaking right now.

Love that we’ve exhumed a 12-year-old thread. So great! :slight_smile:

Don’t have much to contribute—my last taste of one appears to have been a couple years ago, the 07 Valdicava

" we ended with dinner at which we opened my 2007 Valdicava Brunello It took a long time to get going, but started to by the end of the night. It will probably be great today, but I was happy with the leather, cocoa and licorice-accented plum fruit on nose and mouth. Still a lot of grip.

cheers

Mike

1 Like

In the last few months I’ve had Percarlo, Sammarco, Fla cianello, and Tignanello. I think the wines are drinking nicely and would put them at mid-maturity but in no danger of crashing. Certainly not a great Brunello vintage, but the accessibility is a plus.

1 Like

I haven’t had any of those 07s. The 2 CCRs that I found a bit troubling were Rancia and San Marcellino. They seemed to remain pretty simple compared to the same wines from 06. I did like the Fontalorro a bit better.

Most 07 Brunello were disappointing though. I was totally focused on Brunello at that time.

1 Like

No doubt 2006 is a better vintage throughout Tuscany, based on all the wines I’ve had.

1 Like