05 & 04 St Innocent & 2003 Novy Syrah

• 2005 St. Innocent Pinot Blanc Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/2/2016)
    Another bottle I bumped into while cleaning my locker. These wines are done under plastic corks and die early deaths. My bad for not keeping better track and drinking young when it was tasty. Now it is an oxidized mess. NR (flawed)
  • 2004 St. Innocent Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (3/30/2016)
    Didn’t pay close attention so these are just brief impressions. This is pretty full throttle. Color shows a bit of age. Fruity and still a bit primary. Tannins stay pretty strong. Hard for me to get a read on what the future will hold. Presumably some more bottle age is in order.
  • 2003 Novy Family Wines Syrah Page Nord - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/28/2016)
    A forgotten bottle I found in my locker. Honestly I thought this might be a little long in the tooth, but by the looks of this, I would never have guessed it was 13 years old. Deep purple. No bricking. The wine still smells fresh as well. Purple and blue fruits with some cream. Big and fruity with medium acid and still medium tannins showing. Listed at 16.1% abv but this did not come off as boozy although it is no fragile flower. Certainly not fading but no reason to wait to drink this. (90 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes Jason. My most hated closure is Nomacorc, the hard plastic outside with the spongy inside. Those corks are wine killers and many bottles I expected could go easy ten years were shot at 4 years. Too many bottles to name.

Novy syrahs are under appreciated and certainly long lived. I’ve been popping a few '04’s and they were no way near their slide to decrepit but instead quite tasty.

[cheers.gif]

Very cool to read about wines that are 10+ years on. Thanks, Jason!