Falltacular 2012--1/14/2012 @ My Place--MAIL YOUR CHECKS!

If You Have A Date Preference For Falltacular, The Help Us Pick It: Jan 14th or Feb 11th?

• January 14th, 2012
  • February 11th, 2012
  • POLL IS CLOSED–THANKS FOR VOTING TO SELECT DATE!!!

0 voters

Falltacular 2012 is here. A thank you to all who voted through the poll that I have now closed…we have our date!

With the selection of the date now in motion, what have we been up to since the last Falltcular? Well, I am actually starting a little bit later this year because I we recently conducted a smaller event for Laura’s to raise money, what we called Suntacular. We had about 40 people over here at the house in August and raised about $1,500, simply through the generosity of those who came. We had a nice day, Laura’s got a nice boost but the mother of the year is Falltacular, and it will be Falltacular 2012. This is the juggernaut and each year we surpass the last, which will be our goal for 2012’s event, to be held here again at my house. Falltacular 2011 provided over 130 different wines (2 bottles of each wine, BTW), we had about 120 people in attendance and we filled the garage with auction wine items. We will repeat that success this year!

Many of you know the drill, have been such a key contributor to the event for the past several years and I thank you so very much. I do though realize some people are new to Wine Berserkers, who is the sole place where we post the information. I appreciate Todd letting me host it here every year. Those new folks don’t have context for what the event is about so with that in mind, I offer a few introductory links below. Some photos from Falltacular 2011that Burkie took, then a link to the follow up to last year’s success and finally, the link to our critical master list of who has paid, which wineries are committed and what wines they are bringing, the volunteer schedule and the silent auction lineup–all of it in this last link. This should be enough to describe what occurs.

Last year’s photos!
http://www.jburk.net/Wine/Falltacular_11/

Last year’s success!
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/you-falltacular-success-thank-you/38855/1

Master file list–wines, wineries, volunteer schedule and silent auction lineup
http://www.lesliefisher.com/lh/2012_falltacular.xls

I do want to point out that I have made a decision this year to raise the price to $75. I did not change the price the previous two years as I wanted to settle into the event and get it right but we have proven the event can offer tremendous value, a wide array of wines, a diversity of food that spans all styles and there is no way someone can attend the event and walk out dissatisfied. Above all that, I get one shot a year to help the shelter, to help Laura’s House and with over 100 people in paid attendance, I can generate another $1,000 for them with a small price increase. I trust you will all understand as I do appreciate, being in the HR realm, that times are tough for many people but they too are tough for the women in the shelter. We’re all in this together.

For now, I simply ask that you digest the info above, ask any questions and I will begin booking down the wineries over the next 4 weeks. I will keep that info updated here. I will ask for checks to be mailed around Thanksgiving but plz do not mail checks yet. Wait plz.

Thank you all again for taking the time here to get caught up. On behalf of Jill and I, as well as Laura’s House, we thank you in advance for supporting the event.

YES YES YES!!!

You may need to buy a bigger house buddy :stuck_out_tongue:

What is this ‘Falltacular’ of which you speak?

newhere

Let’s roll!

Was not able to be there last year . . . . but am definitely planning on being in the house this year!

Thanks, FMIII !!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Will be happy to volunteer. [cheers.gif]

Absolutely in on all levels!

NOTE–thank you all for posting. However, this morning I learned of a date conflict, as Pinot Days had already been scheduled. LIsa and Steve put a lot of work into their events, and I also recognize that winemakers may already be supporting them so it doesn’t make sense to have 2 events on the same day. Hence, I am asking you, should you wish to express a preference, vote in the poll above as to which date for Falltacular you would prefer. I will then pick the best date.

Thanks again for flexing with me.

FYI, the latter date is a week after the Telluride event, which would mean consecutive weeks for those wineries that plan to attend the Telluride festival. The event proximity might reduce participation in both

And I am also learning that there is the Pasadena Pinot Fest on February 11th and this may also draw people away. So, it seems more plausible that the best local date is tracking for January 14th. This coincides with Todd’s point about the February 11th. Just food for thought.

After all this, and you can see why it takes 3 months to organize the event, hope none of you are confused. [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif] [rofl.gif]

Oops…I voted for the later date but just looked at the calendar and see that CES is that week - which means I would most likely already be “out West.”
I would love to attend this year, having missed the last few.

So - switch my vote from Feb to Jan…

But Frank – you have to come East some time to a Berserkerfest.

I picked Jan. 14 as the MLK holiday will be observed on Monday, Jan. 16, extending the weekend for some which includes me. Feb . 11 is fine for me though. I believe President’s day will be observed on Monday, Feb. 20, just sayin.

I made the poll so that you can change your vote

Wow - a programming genius neener
I changed my vote and it swung the % by 11 points. Made me feel important.
Thanks

Either date works for us. Can’t wait!

Erf, I would dig seeing you again, as it has been some time. What, last time I saw you was at the Lompoc Embassy Suites, yes? I do hope you can make it out, as we will do the usual Friday dinner the night before somewhere, too. Gives you a good chance to meet people and have a nice time socializing.

Thanks for the votes everyone. Some time this week, I will shut the poll off and make the final date. I will need to start getting the wineries lined up and losing two weeks of logisitical time, I won’t want to sit on my a** too long.

Frank — it was actually the secret party at Eldon’s!!!
Your wonderful help at breakfast at the Embassy Suites introduced me to the world of Solvang, Lompoc, Los Olivos, etc - and for that I am eternally grateful [cheers.gif]

I’ll try to make this year’s event.

Duh…picked January because it’s a month sooner!

Hey Frank - I voted Jan 14 for the reasons already mentioned, and it being a holiday weekend means Lori and I will stick around Sunday for breakfast and maybe spend some time around Santa Barbara on the way back up.

I’m looking forward to it and should have some interesting items for the auction [thumbs-up.gif]

Good with either date.

Also tossing the hat into the ring as a volunteer for setup and serving. My wife was terrified when I signed her up for serving, doesn’t know a tremendous amount about wine, but after serving at the white wine station for 20 minutes he sounded like a grizzled tasting room veteran. LOL

Hey, and don’t apologize for charging $75. Access to 150 wines? great food, knowledgeable wine conversation, and it goes to charity? Winner winner. [winner.gif]