Recipe: Bill's Special Corn

I make this corn for folks when they come over and I even made some for Flannery Fest I. Everyone seems to enjoy it, and they often times ask for the recipe…so here goes. Everything is usually by eye with very little actual measurement, so I’ll post what I USALLY do for six people eating.

6 Ears Of Fresh Sweet or Bi-colored Corn, Kernels Removed
3 Large Leeks, Washed and Sliced Into 1/4 to 3/8 Inch Rounds (I also include about two to three inches above the whites)
1 Large Shallot, Finely Minced
6 Cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, Medium Dice
1 Large Jalapeno Pepper, Finely Minced
1 Large Serrano Pepper, Finely Minced
1 Red Savina, Other Habanero or Scotch Bonnet Pepper, As Finely Minced As Possible
EVOO
Unsalted Butter
S&P
Dry White Wine (I usually use a NZ SB)
Fresh Thyme, Finely Minced

1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add equal parts of butter and EVOO. Allow the butter to melt completely and stir to mix with EVOO. Add the sliced leeks and some salt. Stir the leeks occasionally and cook slowly until they become translucent.

2. Add the garlic and shallots and cook until the garlic becomes aromatic.

3. Add the red bell pepper and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the remaining peppers and incorporate.

4. Add about 1/4 cup of the wine and raise the heat until it begins to boil.

5. Add the corn kernels and mix well with all the other ingredients, and then put the lid on and lower temp to a simmer.

6. After about 15 to 20 minutes, remove the lid and season accordingly with S&P and add the thyme. Return lid and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes.

Of course the heat can be adjusted +/- by adding or removing any combination of the hotter peppers.

Bill,

Sounds good.

I do a similar dish. My biggest difference is I grill the corn for just a couple of minutes, giving it a bit more color. I add the corn to the saute pan at the very end which keeps the corn a bit more “al dente”.

Ray,

I have most definitely grilled corn before for the added char and smoky flavour.

This sounds great. I’ve been making a salad this summer using grilled corn, roasted red peppers (on the grill), grilled onions and finish with a little (or a lot) of butter. Simple and delicious with great color.

Thanks for the recepie! I had this when I was down in Dallas last fall; its good stuff!

I make something similar but add lime zest at the end to freshen it up. Mike

One of my favorite pizzarias does a pie with prosciutto, olive oil instead of red sauce and lots of spiced up corn kernels (which caramelize in the pizza oven). Mmmmmmmmmmmm gooooooood!

Made this corn this evening with a little bbq char on the corn to start… Left out the Habanero as that would have probably made it a little too hot for the meal… This stuff is awesome… The recipe isn’t that hard at all and if you haven’t had it, I would highly recommend it.

Does Kraft have a version of it that all I have to do is add water and nuke???

From what I understand, you are one of the few people that can set water on fire in a microwave so let’s not try it.

Rob,
that’s why I tell him “step away from the stove/microwave” [pillow-fight.gif]

by the way the recipe sounds yummy !

Bill,
I’m gonna try this Monday when we have guest over for dinner.

prolly go good with whatever I am smoking that day…

May I suggest a nice, mild Kona Gold?

Bob’s post

Gives me visions of Bill Murry stepping out of Cheech and Chong Mobile… gnawing on a piece of corn. " saying as he steps out " is this hand shucked "

I should have not read that before lunch. Now I am even more starving!

Thanks, Bill! [basic-smile.gif]

Having had this corn multiple times i can attest to its greatness.

I assume the fine mince on the super-hot pepper(s) should stop short of turning the pepper into a paste/spread/mush, right?

Had this at the MacKay house last week = flirtysmile

Yes. I would say that the mince is 1/16 X 1/16 inch.

Cool. THanks.