Recipe: Bill's Special Corn

Made this tonight and the only two changes I made were,#1 to lessen the hot peppers (burg. dinner)
went with two Jalapeno and skipped the hotter stuff. #2 prepped the aromatics long before dinner (and cooled)
and then near service re-heated them and added the corn and wine very near dinner time to finish the dish.
though, the corn only cooked for 5 min (picked this AM so why cook it 20 min???)
A fantastic dish Thanks Bill l!!!

Mel, glad you liked it. Will be making next weekend for 20…The Freak will be in town for birthday.

I’ve made this dish countless times now. Awesome stuff.

I did all the steps before adding the fresh corn a few hours in advance then just brought the mix to temp and added the corn.
My stove time was then greatly reduced just before dinner (a few stirs was all it took as it steamed the corn)
The corn I used had been picked at 5 am Saturday and only needed to cook for about 5 min.

Made tonight - great recipe. Thanks!

Served with Julia Child’s crazily time-intensive ratatouille recipe and andouille sausage. Drank a Navarro Sauv Blanc (used in the recipe) and a 2005 Broadley Claudia’s Choice which is the best I’ve tasted in years.

Made it last night for 20+ folks. Maybe a tad too hot for most.

Remember one always enjoys corn twice!!

Over the weekend I made this and it was great but it really took on amazing status when it was used the next day in a quiche. I added it to a basic quiche batter and tossed in a good cup to cup and a half of Gruyere cheese and some cubed ham. served room at temp or slightly below this was the hit of the weekend.

I’ve been serving the leftovers cold, tossed with cider vinegar.

Tad too hot William? GMAFB! Hot? Let me tell you about hot. I diced those fucking peppers you bought. Every fucking one of them. Minced in fact. I washed my hands in oil on your advice. No joy. For the last three fucking days every time I make a mistake and bite a finger nail I get habanero or scotch bonnett (whatever the fuck we bought) juice REGARDLESS of how many showers I’ve had or handwashes I’ve partaken of. The f’ing juice gets everywhere. Tell Denny to buy some gloves or have Spikes drop off a set of surgicals.

My hands - my actual hands - were warm with the residual capsaisin heat on my flight 20 hours after your meal. I’m not kidding.

Next time you want this made - get that Wookie Bowden to break down the peppers. I’ll take the shallots.

[snort.gif]

Ok Tex, made this one tonight. Pretty much to a T except skipping the scotch bonnets to keep the heat down. I did also grill the corn. I garnished with some tomato from our garden with some evoo and roasted pepper balsamic. The dish is a bit short on acid and it turns out if you add the fresh tomato when you serve it balances out perfect and becomes a very vibrant and tasty dish. I thought it would go good with scallops… it does. Sorry about the poor sear on the scallop, didn’t feel like getting my cast iron out tonight. [cheers.gif]

Musta made it tough to get in a good jerk too eh? [cheers.gif]

I just made this as well and used just jalapeno (removed half the seeds, plenty hot for me). Fresh yellowtail fillet on top. Very good.

Thanks

Bill,

I love the flavor of fresh corn. My long-time preferred recipe is simple: nothing but corn, butter, salt, pepper. My first reaction to reading yours: Won’t it mask the flavor of the corn?

But given the universal positive reaction in this thread, I’m going to give it a whirl sometime soon - and will report back.

Cheers,
Bob

Made it over the weekend and loved it. Left out the Habanero as well and left the Jalapeno seeds in. Was just right for the crowd. Can’t wait to make it again. Thanks to whoever bumped this thread because I never would have found it. [cheers.gif]

Last (belated) reply here. We like to make faux crab cakes with all of the squash we have each summer. We mixed some of the leftover corn in with the grated squash and just fried up some tasty fritters instead. Nice recipe with plenty of good options if you end up with extra.

I have made this a half dozen times in the last year, really good recipe. I think I will make this again tomorrow for some Houston Berserker’s coming over for Dinner.

It’s special corn season!!

Indeed.