The Smoked Pork Butt Experiment

I’ll post progress reports during the day, but here it is, rubbed and in the Weber beginning to smoke. I seem to have hit a sweet spot on the temp at around 225.

Looks eerily familiar.

How can that look good ALREADY!!??

What’s the rub?

Bob,

How long is this butt smoking for? I’m looking to try this come summer so I wonder how you go about replenishing the charcoal.

It’s basically Tex’s rub, which is basically the same as every other rub I’ve ever seen for pork. Sugar ('scuse me, he specified “evaporated cane juice” which is an actual product I found at Trader Joe’s), salt, pepper, paprika, dry mustard, cayenne, onion powder and garlic powder. I added some cumin on my own. It’s all glued to the roast with a smear of prepared mustard - about a tablespoon, though I saw one recipe on the 'net that called for half a cup. [stop.gif] Most recipes specifiy French’s or other yellow mustard but I didn’t have any and don’t want any since I’m not planning on eating any bologna, so I used Gulden’s.

Most recipes say an hour and a half per pound and this one’s 6 pounds, so it should be done around 7:00. I’m planning on pulling it after the first 3 hours or so and putting in a 225 degree oven.

As for the charcoal, just open the Weber and throw a little charcoal on the fire, and by a little I mean very little. It doesn’t take much. The Weber Gold has hinged sections on the grate just for this purpose.

Cool. Thanks. That’s the one feature I need to be on the lookout for when I start looking for a grill.

Bob, you gonna foil it in the oven?

I hadn’t decided. When I did a brisket and left in in the oven all night I didn’t bother. On the other hand, I just remembered that I forgot the water pan, so I’d best go put that in.

Nice.

Approximately two hours into the process.

Bob, looks right on the money.

I’m making pork spareribs this weekend and thinking of starting them on the Weber, to get some smoke in them, and finishing in the oven low and slow for a few hours at, say, 225F. I’ll put a dry rub on them Friday eve and grill them Saturday late afternoon. Any pointers for the grill-to-oven technique ?

What’s the water pan for again? Keep the environment moist? Catch the drippings? Isn’t smoking dry heat?

You need a drip pan for sure, but putting water in the pan usually helps maintain a consistent temperature.

Love the avatar, Kent - you fit right in…

4 1/2 hours in the smoke and I finally ran out of wood chips, so it’s going in the oven. Internal temperature is 154 degrees.

This is making me hungry…

Six hours total, 1 1/2 in the oven. Temperature is 159 degrees. I should have started it earlier than 10:00, methinks. Late dinner for sure.

5:45 and the temp is 174. Ugh.