The Smoker Thread - recipes, techniques, ideas

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#301 Post by G. Bienstock » May 22nd, 2013, 6:54 am

I do not use salt in any rub that gets applied for several hours. I lightly salt the meat one half hour before cooking.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#302 Post by Jay Carroll » May 23rd, 2013, 5:18 am

Anyone use an injection in their shoulders before putting on smoker?? I don't but was thinking about doing that this weekend.
I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I'm just thinking about a certain female

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#303 Post by Mark.Ricca » May 23rd, 2013, 11:42 am

Jay Carroll wrote:Anyone use an injection in their shoulders before putting on smoker?? I don't but was thinking about doing that this weekend.
A little novacaine if I'm feeling stiff and the meat is heavy. Generally, I don't like needles.

newhere

Put a semi-boneless chicken on the Weber with a rub of garlic, ancho chile, cumin, salt, and EVOO. A little hickory smoke and voila!
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Robert.Fleming

#304 Post by Robert.Fleming » May 23rd, 2013, 12:29 pm

Mark.Ricca wrote: ... a semi-boneless chicken ...
Which bones are removed? Serious question; never encountered a semi-boneless chicken.

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#305 Post by G. Bienstock » May 23rd, 2013, 8:37 pm

Kent Zimmerman wrote:
Kirby Hamilton wrote:BGE charcoal is good. Beware Cowboy brand for anything low and slow. It's pretty cheap wood, and typically burns fast and hot! It's also sold under different brands, like Trader Joes. I really like Royal Oak, myself.
Some of the hardware chains are selling 20# Cowboy bags for $9 so I bought one to try. This bag was made in Mexico and is NOT recommended. The pieces range from gravel sized to huge pieces. When lighting there is a heavy acrid smoke that stinks.

I much prefer Full Circle lump on all levels.
Glenn

ITB 1999-2005

Rick Joyer

#306 Post by Rick Joyer » May 24th, 2013, 10:10 am

G. Bienstock wrote:
Kent Zimmerman wrote:
Kirby Hamilton wrote:BGE charcoal is good. Beware Cowboy brand for anything low and slow. It's pretty cheap wood, and typically burns fast and hot! It's also sold under different brands, like Trader Joes. I really like Royal Oak, myself.
Some of the hardware chains are selling 20# Cowboy bags for $9 so I bought one to try. This bag was made in Mexico and is NOT recommended. The pieces range from gravel sized to huge pieces. When lighting there is a heavy acrid smoke that stinks.

I much prefer Full Circle lump on all levels.
There is a great resource for lump charcoal reviews that I have found to be quite useful as I've shopped for different brands to try. Very thorough analyses of each brand with pictures and all the pertinent data you'd want (and them some).

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#307 Post by Mark.Ricca » May 24th, 2013, 10:20 am

Robert.Fleming wrote:
Which bones are removed? Serious question; never encountered a semi-boneless chicken.
Rib cage, backbone, wishbone, as would be done for Spatchcock Chicken.

Stand the bird on it's butt, cut down both sides of the backbone and through the joint where the thighbone connects to the hipbone.

Split the cartilage above the keelbone, crack the ribcage into two halves. Run a finger down either side of the keelbone to loosen it and pull it free. Run a knife under each side of the ribs taking the scapula with it as well.

Remove the wishbone leaving only the wingbones and leg and thighbones. I can video it for you if you like. A whole chicken on the grill takes 20 minutes.
ITB
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Robert.Fleming

#308 Post by Robert.Fleming » May 24th, 2013, 11:27 am

Mark.Ricca wrote:
Robert.Fleming wrote:
I can video it for you if you like.
Thanks, but not necessary; your explanation was perfectly clear.

I have spatchcocked many a bird, but never bothered with the keel bone or wishbone.

Matt Shaffer

#309 Post by Matt Shaffer » May 24th, 2013, 1:11 pm

All right guys. Big shoulder going on the BGE this weekend. Give me your best injection. Yes, I'm firm on injecting. And, that's what she said and all that. Now whatcha got?

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#310 Post by Alan Rath » May 24th, 2013, 9:13 pm

I've never quite understood the idea of injecting liquid, particularly in the case where you're going to smoke for many hours. Most of that liquid is just going to drain out anyway, and remember that it's the excess liquid in the meat that causes the stall. So it's not going to cook through until all the liquid has dissipated, right?

Mel Hill

#311 Post by Mel Hill » May 25th, 2013, 5:52 am

Robert.Fleming wrote:
I have spatchcocked many a bird, but never bothered with the keel bone or wishbone.
When I remove the backbone I cut as little as possible just behind the hip socket and leave the "oysters" intact.

I use scissors and snip thru the wishbone on both sides Makes it easier to flatten the bird. With a turkey that I'll be carving, I remove it entirely to make for easier to slice that area.

Anything I remove goes into a bag and saved for stock.

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#312 Post by Mark.Ricca » May 25th, 2013, 6:04 am

Thread drift but I'll do the same (accumulate and freeze bones) and when I have sufficient quantity, turn it into a chicken demi.

I don't know where I picked up the removing the keel and wish bones, but I figure if I'm gonna take out the ribs may as well get those too.
ITB

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#313 Post by G. Bienstock » May 25th, 2013, 9:13 am

Matt Shaffer wrote:All right guys. Big shoulder going on the BGE this weekend. Give me your best injection. Yes, I'm firm on injecting. And, that's what she said and all that. Now whatcha got?
I am doing 3 shoulders tomorrow. One will be injected two will be natural. I will evaluate them separately and then probably blend them together.

For the injection and late phase mopping I use apple or pineapple juice or a blend of the two. This time it will be apple. Add some chili powder or rub. I use apple, white and raspberry vinegars with fresh shallot and black pepper and let it steep a few hours.

Do not go overly sweet. Do not over inject.
Glenn

ITB 1999-2005

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#314 Post by Larry P » May 25th, 2013, 10:18 am

I got the urge to smoke some fish and stopped by Costco yesterday hoping the Copper River Sockeye Salmon season was starting. No Sockeye but they did have fresh/wild Copper River King (which surprised me since I thought that season started later). Anyway $25/lb and probably my favorite salmon, but not for smoking.

They did have fresh/wild whole halibut for $10/lb and though I read this is a difficult fish to smoke well (and controversial) I decided to give it a go. I did a dry brine overnight (2:1 brown sugar to kosher salt, with some black pepper, allspice, granulated garlic and onion thrown in). I've been soaking some red alder chuncks, and firing up the BGE in a few minutes...
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Matt Shaffer

#315 Post by Matt Shaffer » May 25th, 2013, 10:46 am

G. Bienstock wrote:
Matt Shaffer wrote:All right guys. Big shoulder going on the BGE this weekend. Give me your best injection. Yes, I'm firm on injecting. And, that's what she said and all that. Now whatcha got?
I am doing 3 shoulders tomorrow. One will be injected two will be natural. I will evaluate them separately and then probably blend them together.

For the injection and late phase mopping I use apple or pineapple juice or a blend of the two. This time it will be apple. Add some chili powder or rub. I use apple, white and raspberry vinegars with fresh shallot and black pepper and let it steep a few hours.

Do not go overly sweet. Do not over inject.

Love the idea of adding interesting vinegar(s) to the injection. Alan, the idea of injecting isn't just to add moisture, but to add flavor inside the meat where the rub may not penetrate. Yes, it might add to cooking time, but if that's not an issue I see an injection as only being a positive thing.

Robert.Fleming

#316 Post by Robert.Fleming » May 25th, 2013, 11:46 am

Alan Rath wrote:... remember that it's the excess liquid in the meat that causes the stall. So it's not going to cook through until all the liquid has dissipated, right?
I don't think so. Instead, I believe it's the conversion of collagen to gelatin that causes the 'stall' and determines doneness.

But I don't inject, either.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#317 Post by Alan Rath » May 25th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Robert, see this link that has a pretty good explanation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-gol ... 87719.html

Robert.Fleming

#318 Post by Robert.Fleming » May 26th, 2013, 7:09 am

Alan Rath wrote:Robert, see this link that has a pretty good explanation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-gol ... 87719.html
Thanks. Cool.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#319 Post by Alan Rath » May 26th, 2013, 9:42 am

Yep, it was quite informative, and helped me gain a much better understanding of how to manage different stages of BBQ, and other cooking. I thought I had posted it here, or maybe even read it here first somewhere, maybe not.

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#320 Post by Eric LeVine » May 26th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Mark.Ricca wrote:I don't know where I picked up the removing the keel and wish bones, but I figure if I'm gonna take out the ribs may as well get those too.
I am pretty sure that Alton Brown does it that way.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#321 Post by Jay Carroll » May 28th, 2013, 6:19 am

2- 8 lb pork shoulders on the SM this weekend- turned out fantastic. Injected with apple juice, water, sugar, salt and some worcestershire sauce. Then the rub. Got them on around 6 am and 12 hours later, yum.

I did learn that I made a couple errors. First, I added too many hot coals to start( probably 25)- using the minion method. Was trying to get up to temp before I left for golf and it got a little hot. Also need to make sure I add basically an entire bag of charcoal- temp was droppiing around 2pm and most of the coals were burned out.

But the results were very satisfying and a big hit with the crowd.

Next up, brisket and/or beef ribs.!!

Joel W

#322 Post by Joel W » June 10th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Bought some steel wool the other day at the store and cleaned my smoker yesterday...

UGH.... What took me so damn long? 'twas REALLY dirty inside. I guess I just didn't realize just how dirty this this had got. I've cleaned it many times, but this is my first time with steel wool and WOW, what a difference. I wonder what the taste difference will be on my next smoke? I assuming it will be huge but just how noticeable?

We shall see, I'm going to do a chicken this week one night for dinner.
Last edited by Joel W on June 21st, 2013, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#323 Post by Mark.Ricca » June 12th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Picked up a pork tenderloin this afternoon. I'm going to butterfly it, rub the inside with chili/garlic paste, wrap the whole thing in bacon with cilantro under the bacon strips, and grill it indirect over hickory.
ITB

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#324 Post by gene keenan » June 16th, 2013, 7:34 pm

One of these:

and a smoker attached to it:

WOW.

Raw to perfection in 4 hours. Did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Amazeballs
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#325 Post by Mark.Ricca » June 17th, 2013, 11:16 am

Same prep on the chicken (spatchcock) but marinade was:

1 part Thai fish sauce
1 part Hoy Fong Chili/Garlic paste
1 part Usukuchi (light colored soy)
1 part EVOO

Marinated overnight including giblets and grilled/smoked over hickory. This was the bomb. No additional salt of course but salty/crispy/spicey crisp skin with a nice touch of hickory smoke.
ITB

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#326 Post by Jay Carroll » June 21st, 2013, 6:48 am

Ok quick question- breaking out smoker this afternoon- what other than ribs are good for a 4-5 hour cook? Not interested in chicken.

Tyler Rico

#327 Post by Tyler Rico » June 21st, 2013, 7:31 am

Jay Carroll wrote:Ok quick question- breaking out smoker this afternoon- what other than ribs are good for a 4-5 hour cook? Not interested in chicken.
Rack of pork

Internal only needs to reach 135-145, last one I did was right around the 4 hour mark.

Joel W

#328 Post by Joel W » June 21st, 2013, 9:26 am

Jay Carroll wrote:Ok quick question- breaking out smoker this afternoon- what other than ribs are good for a 4-5 hour cook? Not interested in chicken.
Not a traditional suggestion but try Meatloaf wrapped in Bacon.
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#329 Post by Joe Dulworth » June 21st, 2013, 10:55 am

Joel W wrote:
+1. I've done this and my kids devour it in minutes.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Mark A

#330 Post by Mark A » June 21st, 2013, 3:13 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:
Joel W wrote:
+1. I've done this and my kids devour it in minutes.
Joe and Joel: What is your recipe and process?
M. A l c o r n

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#331 Post by Joe Dulworth » June 21st, 2013, 3:37 pm

Mine is a recipe I copied from the Food Network. I make the loaf with the ingredients indicated, shape into a loaf that I usually put on a small piece of foil on the grate to keep it from falling through and let her smoke at 275 until it hits around 155+/- internal.

Bacon-Cheddar Meatloaf
From Food Network Kitchens
Loaf :
2 pieces bacon, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound ground beef chuck
8 ounces ground pork
8 ounces ground veal
8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded (2 1/3 cups)
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Glaze:
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, until crispy and fat renders, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate, reserving renderings in the skillet. Cook the onions and garlic in the pan drippings until brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk the eggs, mustard, hot sauce, Worcestershire, cream, salt, and pepper. Add the meat, cheese, parsley, and cooked onion. Chop and add the bacon. Mix with a fork until evenly blended. Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a bowl.

Dampen hands with water and on a foil-lined cookie sheet, pat mixture into a loaf shape. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf registers 155 degrees F, about 1 hour. Spread the glaze onto the meatloaf after about 50 minutes. Let loaf rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.

Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis per serving Calories 556
Fat 42 grams Saturated Fat 20 grams
Carbohydrates 5 grams Fiber 1 gram
Protein 38 grams
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
User Rating:

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#332 Post by Jay Carroll » July 16th, 2013, 9:08 am

Ok next up...curing and then smoking pork belly. Just got a gorgeous 8lb Berkshire belly. Looking for curing ideas, and then the smoking times etc...

I am sure I could do a seach, but thought I'd see if anyone here has done this.

Thanks!!

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#333 Post by Jay Carroll » July 17th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Well I got the info in needed...just ordered my container of pink salt- guess the bacon will have to wait a bit longer.

Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member

#334 Post by Jay Carroll » July 24th, 2013, 7:22 am

The belly has been curing since Saturday- interesting how the cure(salt, sugar, pink salt and cracked pepper) has changed the feel and look of the belly. Will be taking out of cure this Saturday, washing and rinsing, then putting on a rack in fridge to dry it before hitting the smoker on Sunday.

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#335 Post by T. Altmayer » July 24th, 2013, 11:54 am

Jay Carroll wrote:The belly has been curing since Saturday- interesting how the cure(salt, sugar, pink salt and cracked pepper) has changed the feel and look of the belly. Will be taking out of cure this Saturday, washing and rinsing, then putting on a rack in fridge to dry it before hitting the smoker on Sunday.
Post pictures when you're done!
Tom

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#336 Post by scamhi » July 29th, 2013, 7:13 am

a 23lb untrimmed and 19lb trimmed brisket went on at 1am Friday night. came off 15 hours later. used some applewood chips at the beginning of the cook.

photo-84
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#337 Post by scamhi » July 29th, 2013, 7:14 am

and the sliced pic
photo-85
S u z a n n e C a m h i

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#338 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » July 29th, 2013, 8:20 am

scamhi wrote:a 23lb untrimmed and 19lb trimmed brisket went on at 1am Friday night. came off 15 hours later. used some applewood chips at the beginning of the cook.

photo-84
Suzanne...is this from an ox? The largest "untrimmed" brisket I've ever bought has been 15 lbs....though I'm not sure what you mean by "trimmed"?

Also...you used chips at the beginning....what did you use for the rest of the time?

Looks good...I think.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#339 Post by scamhi » July 29th, 2013, 8:59 am

Stuart,
Is was a beef brisket. the largest I have ever seen. I took about 4lbs of white fat leaving about 3/4-1" still on the beast. I never opened the grill during the cook. no mop, no checking
The chips were tossed on top of the charcoal when they had just started, hence the blue smoke.
The rest of the cook was with Ozark Oak charcoal
S u z a n n e C a m h i

#340 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » July 29th, 2013, 9:27 am

so..you smoked it with a little wood chip..and mostly charcoal...interesting...

Robert.Fleming

#341 Post by Robert.Fleming » July 29th, 2013, 10:39 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:so..you smoked it with a little wood chip..and mostly charcoal...interesting...
How else would she have done it?

#342 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » July 29th, 2013, 10:46 am

using all hardwood...rather than charcoal....

but..maybe I don't understand the cooking method/vehicle....

Robert.Fleming

#343 Post by Robert.Fleming » July 29th, 2013, 11:04 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:using all hardwood...rather than charcoal....

but..maybe I don't understand the cooking method/vehicle....
Yeah, the Egg (or ceramic equivalent) is a charcoal grill/oven/smoker - putting wood chips (or chunks) on the burning charcoal is how you smoke.
I suppose you could use wood as the primary fuel, but I've never known anyone to do it....

#344 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » July 29th, 2013, 11:22 am

I am not familiar with "the Egg"...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#345 Post by Brian Tuite » July 29th, 2013, 11:47 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:I am not familiar with "the Egg"...
Big Green Egg, it uses hardwood lump charcoal. Grills, smokes, bakes, roasts, low heat, high heat, direct, indirect... Very versatile.
[resizeableimage=600,800]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae19 ... 316dc2.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Put a couple Boston Butts on mine today for pulled pork tonight.
[resizeableimage=600,800]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae19 ... e0d153.jpg[/resizeableimage]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#346 Post by scamhi » July 29th, 2013, 12:47 pm

it is a charcoal fueled grill/smoker made out of ceramic material.
IMHO, they are better than any metal grill
S u z a n n e C a m h i

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#347 Post by Alan Rath » July 29th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Nice result, thanks for posting! What temp did you use?

#348 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » July 29th, 2013, 3:12 pm

scamhi wrote:
it is a charcoal fueled grill/smoker made out of ceramic material.
IMHO, they are better than any metal grill
That seems to be the consensus on WB.

Just so I understand...is the smoking form the charcoal...or the wood chips thrown onto the charcoal to provide smoke? It doesn't sound desirable to smoke with charcoal....so it must be the wood chips?? And, if it is only the wood chips...does the charcoal add anything to the mix other than heat? Say, over gas or electric?

I guess I've never really paid attention to the specifics of the eggs....though I certainly have deduced that people here love them.

Ryan Kilkenney

#349 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » July 29th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
Big Green Egg, it uses hardwood lump charcoal. Grills, smokes, bakes, roasts, low heat, high heat, direct, indirect... Very versatile.
[resizeableimage=600,800]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae19 ... 316dc2.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Put a couple Boston Butts on mine today for pulled pork tonight.
[resizeableimage=600,800]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae19 ... e0d153.jpg[/resizeableimage]
I'd be interested to know how long it took you to hit 195 degrees. I've done pork butt twice since I got my BGE for Father's Day. What seems to be the conventional wisdom - 1.5 - 2 hours per pound - hasn't been my experience. It's taken me significantly longer both times.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#350 Post by Alan Rath » July 29th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:Just so I understand...is the smoking form the charcoal...or the wood chips thrown onto the charcoal to provide smoke?
The charcoal used in a smoker of this kind is wood charcoal (I typically use the Big Green Egg brand, just because I started out with it and it gives me good results - BGE web site says it's a combination of oak and hickory, I would guess mostly oak). So that "naturally" gives a lot of smoke flavor, intrinsic to the heat source. Some people (not me) like to up that a notch by using other wood chips, in addition to the cooking charcoal. For a long cook, that would be too much additional smoke flavor/aroma (for my tastes).

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”