Florida Fish of the Week

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

Florida Fish of the Week

#1 Post by Jim Stewart » January 5th, 2019, 4:09 pm

We are spending the winter months in Ft Myers, the city of palms and grouper sandwiches. There is a fishmonger shack/stand down the street. After talking about how we should get more fresh fish into our eating, we stopped by and came back with a thick filet of Tripletail. Unfamiliar with the fish, but looked it up: the fish is not “pretty”; it can get quite large - up to 40 inches and 40 lbs. ; the taste is described as similar to grouper or snapper.
tripletail.jpg
tripletail.jpg (17.79 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
I prepared the fish by slightly modifying a recipe from a video that I found online that pan roasted it and served with a lemon butter sauce. I Lowry-seasoned the filet, coated both sides in Lowry-seasoned flour, pan seared one side in olive oil and butter, flipped and finished in a 350 Fahrenheit oven for about 14-15 minutes (it was a THICK filet!). I simplified the lemon butter sauce to have less butter and seasoned with salt and pepper.
IMG_20190105_175701_hdr.jpg
IMG_20190105_180338_hdr.jpg
IMG_20190105_181905_hdr.jpg
The fish was served with a spinach salad, and a side of locally made mild salsa. I pulled a white CDR Villages ‘Laudun’ from the chilled bottles that were in the refrigerator door. Not a firm fish, not like a cod or halibut, but delicious eating. It did remind me of grouper. The wine was also very nice: dry, aromatic, softly flavorful. A good companion. Simple pleasures.
[attachment=4]IMG_20190105_182202_hdr.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
IMG_20190105_181957_hdr.jpg
IMG_20190105_182202_hdr.jpg

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Florida Fish of the Week

#2 Post by David K o l i n » January 5th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Thanks, Jim. I think we all have a duty to eat sustainable off-menu fish. They’re hard to find here in Chicago

JesseC

#3 Post by JesseC » January 5th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Very nice, did they have a bunch of different lesser-known fish available?
Jesse_Collins

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Anton D » January 5th, 2019, 5:32 pm

That was awesome! I look forward to the rest of your winter!!!
Anton Dotson

Brandon R

#5 Post by Brandon R » January 7th, 2019, 9:28 am

Very cool idea - purposefully trying new fish. I'm looking forward to following this.
B. Redman

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Paul Jaouen » January 7th, 2019, 11:18 am

The only time I've had that fish is at a restaurant in your neck of the woods. It was delicious. I would definitely buy it if I could find it.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jim Friedman » January 7th, 2019, 11:35 am

I have had that fish in Aruba a few times as a special of the day. It's very good.

Mike Davila

#8 Post by Mike Davila » January 7th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Triple tail is good, your preparation looks delicious.
If they have it you may want to try the lion fish.
Not only is it tasty but consuming it is a great way to help control it, as it is an invasive predator fish.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by George Hejna » January 7th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Please eat as much lion fish as possible...

TIA,

George

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by David K o l i n » January 7th, 2019, 3:56 pm

George Hejna wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Please eat as much lion fish as possible...

TIA,

George
And Asian carp

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Jim Stewart » January 12th, 2019, 3:56 pm

This week’s chalk board at the fish shack was headed by Florida Keys shrimp and black grouper, but we opted for the yellowtail snapper listed third. This is a fish that I have actually caught in undersized versions fishing from the shore on Sanibel, but never have eaten. There are several versions of “snappers” down here. The yellowtail can get up to about 30 inches and several pounds or so. It is described as good to excellent eating.
yellowtailsnapper.jpg
yellowtailsnapper.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
The flesh of the yellowtail snapper seemed a little coarser grained than last week’s tripletail, but still nice looking filets. I chose a simple preparation, since dinner was going to compete with NFL playoff watching. I found a recipe for crumb coated red snapper online and slightly modified it with the yellowtail. The filet was coated in a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan. I did an egg wash before coating and also put some Lawry's salt in the coating mixture. Pan fried the coated filet in a little olive oil on medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side.
yellowtail prep.JPG
yellowtail cooking.JPG
The fish was served with a baked potatoes and onions dish and peas. I chose the chilled NY Riesling from the refrigerator door. (2017 HJ Wiemer Dry Riesling which was recommended by several posters in a recent thread “Favorite Riesling from USA”.)
yellowtail riesling.JPG
yellowtail on plate.JPG
I had no grated parmesan and decided to substitute some “finely shredded”. Probably not a good move, as the heavier filet stuck to the pan and lost most of the coating. The smaller filet fared well. Tasty simple fresh fish, but not up to the tripletail last week but that was prepared differently and served with a lemon butter sauce. Not the same quality preparation. (Hey, I am watching the NFL Playoffs!).
The Riesling was nice: almost a slippery mouth-feel, oily lemon and other fruit/herbs, light and dancing, dry, enjoyable to drink with the meal and alone, plus my wife’s approval = a keeper. We ate well tonight!
Last edited by Jim Stewart on January 12th, 2019, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by David K o l i n » January 12th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Love that fish

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by George Hejna » January 13th, 2019, 7:01 am

Caught a big beautiful yellow tail in Belize. Brought it back to the resort and the chef prepared it multiple ways. It was really great.

George

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by John O' » January 13th, 2019, 9:47 am

Had blackened sheepshead fish at a joint just north of Daytona last week. Tasty, but look at those choppers.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ru ... ic-crisis/
O Sullivan

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jim Stewart » January 13th, 2019, 10:02 am

George Hejna wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 7:01 am
Caught a big beautiful yellow tail in Belize. Brought it back to the resort and the chef prepared it multiple ways. It was really great.

George
George, even the undersized yellowtail that I have caught on light tackle will take runs that make the drag scream. Catching a large one must have been very cool! -Jim

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Jim Stewart » January 13th, 2019, 10:07 am

John O' wrote:
January 13th, 2019, 9:47 am
Had blackened sheepshead fish at a joint just north of Daytona last week. Tasty, but look at those choppers.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ru ... ic-crisis/
John, agreed the top front teeth are eerily human-like. We caught a few last week in the backwaters and I told my fishing partner that the bottom teeth reminded me of corn on the cob. -Jim

Mark Mason

#17 Post by Mark Mason » January 16th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Great thread!
Hard water fisherman

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by J a y H a c k » January 17th, 2019, 1:52 pm

I don;t know if Yellow Tail is considered sustainable, but as a scuba diver I can say that I have seen zillions of them and often in large schools. I'm a little more concerned about grouper because they seem to have been much more plentiful when I started diving 30 years ago.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Jim Stewart » January 19th, 2019, 4:45 pm

When I visited my neighborhood fishmonger(ess) this week, there were no other customers waiting, and I did my best “friendly” by asking her how she was doing. . . . . . Ten minutes later we got around to talking about possibilities for this week’s fish. I settled on a shellfish - Key West Pink Shrimp, aka “Pinks”. They are named such because they are already pink-ish in the raw state, unlike a lot of shrimp that start white-ish and turn pink with cooking.
raw shrimp.JPG
I was thinking lemon and garlic, maybe scampi, so I asked for a pound of Medium. They only had Jumbo and Xtra-Jumbo left, so Jumbo it was.
Because of the size of these shrimp, and for a couple of additional reasons, I thought of preparing baked stuffed shrimp instead. It was a dish that my wife would always order when we first started dating and I took her to the only restaurant I knew (age 21). Also, I kind of half-assed my fish of the week preparation last week while trying to watch the NFL playoffs, so I felt I owed her (and myself) a better effort this week. However, after perusing a few baked stuff shrimp recipes online, I slipped back into a “scampi state of mind”.
I pieced together a few slightly different online recipes for lemon-garlic shrimp or shrimp scampi, rolled up the sleeves of my t-shirt, and got down to preparation. I shelled and de-veined the shrimp and marinated them in a mixture of olive oil, salt and McCormack’s “Perfect Pinch” garlic and herbs seasoning and put in the refrigerator for about an hour.
shrimp marinade.jpg
The shrimp were first par-cooked in olive oil, set aside, and then finished in a sauce made from the leftover olive oil, crushed garlic, fresh lemon juice, white wine and unsalted butter.
shrimp sauce.jpg
shrimp finished.jpg
Served over angel hair pasta with a toasted ciabatta roll on the side to soak up the sauce.
shrimp meal.jpg
I opened a Kirkland Signature 2016 Chablis that we picked up at Costco this week to keep me company while prepping and cooking and to serve with our meal. I like this wine very much; it is my style of Chardonnay, lemony crisp, flavorful, no detectable oak (to me), almost like a Chardonnay-Sancerre if that makes sense to anyone. Very enjoyable on its own and with the scampi!
The shrimp were the best shrimp I have ever had in my life and my wife agreed: fresh sweet succulence, flavored with garlic, lemon, butter and seasoning, perfectly cooked, DELICIOUS!
This was some effort for me to pull this together, but totally worth it . . . UNTIL my wife suggested strongly (and without a trace of a smile) that it wasn’t “fair” if I did not also do cleanup. Sometimes, just when you think you have done something pretty good . . . you haven’t. Such is (partnered) life sometimes!

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by AlexS » January 19th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Oh man, love this thread...I usually spend a decent amount of time fishing in FL during my annual trip on the gulf side and love all the seafood options -- Jim, those shrimp look delicious, as does everything else!

(btw, nice last name! :) )
s t e w @ r t

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by David K o l i n » January 19th, 2019, 6:34 pm

LOVE Key West pinks

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Jim Stewart » January 20th, 2019, 1:55 pm

AlexS wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 4:58 pm
Oh man, love this thread...I usually spend a decent amount of time fishing in FL during my annual trip on the gulf side and love all the seafood options -- Jim, those shrimp look delicious, as does everything else!

(btw, nice last name! :) )
Glad you enjoy the thread, Alex. "Alexander" is a recurring first name in my own Stewart family tree. My grandad "Pop" Donald Stewart was one of several brothers who left home in PEI in the 1920's and 30's to look for work and adventure in New England, the Midwest, and western Canada! [cheers.gif] to the Stewarts!

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Jim Stewart » February 1st, 2019, 4:45 pm

This week I finally gave in. Every week, the fishmonger’s chalkboard has been headed by Black Grouper. It is very popular and is almost the “destination” fish to eat in this area. Although I am generally an independent thinker and fish chooser and have been deliberately avoiding this obvious choice, I brought home some Black Grouper.
The Black Grouper is one of the two types of grouper often on offer here in SW FL, the other being the Red Grouper. From what I read, the black may be more a fish of the deep cold waters while the red is found in shallower waters. There is some debate about which is the better tasting, but both are considered very tasty with firm flesh and relatively mild, almost sweet, flavor.
Black-vs-768x252.jpg
Thinking about how to prepare it, “blackened” was the first idea to surface. Maybe suggested by the name of the fish itself, or perhaps by memories of having had a “blackened” grouper sandwich or seen it offered in that form. Blackened it will be - Blackened Black Grouper. I checked out a few online preparations and decided to go with the pan roasting method that I used for the Tripletail when I kicked this adventure off several weeks back. The Cajun (or Creole) blend of spices is the key component in the blackening process; rather than mix my own, I picked up some McCormick’s “Perfect Pinch” Cajun seasoning which has all the requisite ingredients.
IMG_20190201_173740_hdr.jpg
The pan roasting method involves a quick stove top searing in the pan, followed by finishing the cooking in the oven. Started with a real pretty thickish filet of just under one pound for the two of us. Coated “judiciously” on both sides of the filet with the Perfect Pinch Cajun, rubbing it into the flesh. My wife is a fan of the spice and upfront heat, while I am a bit more restrained when it comes to spicy hot. I made an uneducated guess of a compromise amount of seasoning that I hoped would please the both of us. Got the pan hot, put in some olive oil and when it was just starting to smoke, gently dropped in the filet and got a nice sear in a minute or two. Flipped it, waited for a sear to start on the other side, then put the pan in a pre-heated 375 F oven for finishing. Took about 10 to 12 minutes to cook in the oven.
IMG_20190201_174651_hdr.jpg
IMG_20190201_175012_hdr.jpg
The wine choice was made unnecessarily complicated by a last minute OCD flare up. I had decided on a slighty sweet Oregon Riesling, thinking the slight sweetness might play off the spicy blackenedness and the acid and fruit would play nicely with the mild sweetness of the fish itself. BUT, I had second thoughts, did a little research possible pairing, got torn between three types of whites and a couple of reds, before returning to a welcome calm place and opening the 2017 A to Z Riesling.
IMG_20190201_173949_hdr.jpg
We served the fish with two types of lemon: the usual and a Meyer lemon from one of our neighbors. (“I’m taking it up a notch, Emil!”)
IMG_20190201_175834_hdr.jpg
The fish itself was delicious with surprising large flakes which reminded me of haddock as did the taste. (FYI That’s a compliment!)
IMG_20190201_181140_hdr.jpg
My wife and I agreed that the Meyer lemon was the better choice on the fish. Not as sharply citric, and with some other pleasant flavors that complemented the blackened grouper. The wine was good but only an OK match for this dish(a little too sweet, the Riesling flavors worked well though). Next time I would like to try a different wine, perhaps a Gruner. I am also thinking that Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Blanc might be a very nice companion.
We are getting used to this!

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Jim Stewart » March 30th, 2019, 4:04 pm

It’s been a while since I have added to this thread, though Jacqueline and I have continued our fish of the week meal while down here in FL. We tried some other new types- red grouper, mahi-mahi, and also re-visited some favorites – Key West pink shrimp and, tonight, Tripletail again. Tripletail was the fish we started this thread with and I’ll end the thread with the same fish. I used the video recipe below almost exactly, with only an adjustment of the volume of the lemon-butter sauce (and the amount of butter!). This pan-roasted preparation is really a nice way to cook the fish. I used perfect pinch Cajun seasoning and served the fish in the lemon butter sauce with fresh tomato salsa and guacamole from our local fruit and veggie stand. What a delicious fish - Tripletail wins our FOTW.
IMG_3468.JPG
I also put out a small bowl of Tostitos “Scoops” thinking my wife might prefer to eat her salsa and guac that way. It turned out to be a fortuitous decision and led to my creation/discovery of “Mini Fish Tacos”. As I reflect back on my life’s accomplishments, I may include this. (Pathetic life some may snicker!). The mini fish tacos are constructed by putting a small flake of fish in the Tostitos Scoop and topping with salsa and guacamole. What a delicious combination! Once I was on to it, I finished my fish this way.
IMG_3470.JPG
We opened a bottle of Henri Bourgeois 2017 La Baronnes Sancerre. This is their lower end Sancerre, but we thought it was delicious. Dry well balanced, bright citrus (I sensed lime, Jacqueline grapefruit). It went very well with the fish itself and with the mini fish tacos. We had a glass (two for me) and will finish it tomorrow with our weekly cheese dish and hopefully pay more attention to the wine. Maybe a TN will follow.

P.S. I was outfitted a bit more casually than the chef.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#25 Post by Robert M yers » March 30th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Nice thread idea Jim, thanks for sharing.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 31st, 2019, 7:56 am

Robert M yers wrote:
March 30th, 2019, 4:21 pm
Nice thread idea Jim, thanks for sharing.
+1, responding so it pops in my thread.

Am inspired enough to go to my local fishmonger and grab one of his last shots of Columbia River Spring Chinooks, which is my favorite salmon, hands down.

Albert R

#27 Post by Albert R » March 31st, 2019, 2:30 pm

Mahi on top of Paella! champagne.gif
Attachments
7EC7A160-EE26-4C10-918D-DAA348109CD3.jpeg
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Jim Stewart » March 31st, 2019, 4:05 pm

Albert R wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 2:30 pm
Mahi on top of Paella! champagne.gif
Oh yeah !!!

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by AlexS » March 31st, 2019, 4:17 pm

Damn Albert, that looks delicious - are those langoustines or split lobster tails? "Giant" prawns?? :)
s t e w @ r t

Albert R

#30 Post by Albert R » March 31st, 2019, 7:13 pm

AlexS wrote:
March 31st, 2019, 4:17 pm
Damn Albert, that looks delicious - are those langoustines or split lobster tails? "Giant" prawns?? :)
Thanks Alex, yes split lobster tails. My speciality and favorite cuisine.
Cheers,

@. Re-go

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Kenny H » March 31st, 2019, 7:36 pm

Love this idea. Will try tripletail next trip, thanks!
H0eve!kamp

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Scott Brunson » April 2nd, 2019, 4:46 pm

We did Snowy Grouper en papillote last week--phenomenal
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member