Florida Fish of the Week

LOVE Key West pinks

Glad you enjoy the thread, Alex. “Alexander” is a recurring first name in my own Stewart family tree. My grandad “Pop” Donald Stewart was one of several brothers who left home in PEI in the 1920’s and 30’s to look for work and adventure in New England, the Midwest, and western Canada! [cheers.gif] to the Stewarts!

This week I finally gave in. Every week, the fishmonger’s chalkboard has been headed by Black Grouper. It is very popular and is almost the “destination” fish to eat in this area. Although I am generally an independent thinker and fish chooser and have been deliberately avoiding this obvious choice, I brought home some Black Grouper.
The Black Grouper is one of the two types of grouper often on offer here in SW FL, the other being the Red Grouper. From what I read, the black may be more a fish of the deep cold waters while the red is found in shallower waters. There is some debate about which is the better tasting, but both are considered very tasty with firm flesh and relatively mild, almost sweet, flavor.
Black-vs-768x252.jpg
Thinking about how to prepare it, “blackened” was the first idea to surface. Maybe suggested by the name of the fish itself, or perhaps by memories of having had a “blackened” grouper sandwich or seen it offered in that form. Blackened it will be - Blackened Black Grouper. I checked out a few online preparations and decided to go with the pan roasting method that I used for the Tripletail when I kicked this adventure off several weeks back. The Cajun (or Creole) blend of spices is the key component in the blackening process; rather than mix my own, I picked up some McCormick’s “Perfect Pinch” Cajun seasoning which has all the requisite ingredients.
IMG_20190201_173740_hdr.jpg
The pan roasting method involves a quick stove top searing in the pan, followed by finishing the cooking in the oven. Started with a real pretty thickish filet of just under one pound for the two of us. Coated “judiciously” on both sides of the filet with the Perfect Pinch Cajun, rubbing it into the flesh. My wife is a fan of the spice and upfront heat, while I am a bit more restrained when it comes to spicy hot. I made an uneducated guess of a compromise amount of seasoning that I hoped would please the both of us. Got the pan hot, put in some olive oil and when it was just starting to smoke, gently dropped in the filet and got a nice sear in a minute or two. Flipped it, waited for a sear to start on the other side, then put the pan in a pre-heated 375 F oven for finishing. Took about 10 to 12 minutes to cook in the oven.
IMG_20190201_174651_hdr.jpg
IMG_20190201_175012_hdr.jpg
The wine choice was made unnecessarily complicated by a last minute OCD flare up. I had decided on a slighty sweet Oregon Riesling, thinking the slight sweetness might play off the spicy blackenedness and the acid and fruit would play nicely with the mild sweetness of the fish itself. BUT, I had second thoughts, did a little research possible pairing, got torn between three types of whites and a couple of reds, before returning to a welcome calm place and opening the 2017 A to Z Riesling.
IMG_20190201_173949_hdr.jpg
We served the fish with two types of lemon: the usual and a Meyer lemon from one of our neighbors. (“I’m taking it up a notch, Emil!”)
IMG_20190201_175834_hdr.jpg
The fish itself was delicious with surprising large flakes which reminded me of haddock as did the taste. (FYI That’s a compliment!)
IMG_20190201_181140_hdr.jpg
My wife and I agreed that the Meyer lemon was the better choice on the fish. Not as sharply citric, and with some other pleasant flavors that complemented the blackened grouper. The wine was good but only an OK match for this dish(a little too sweet, the Riesling flavors worked well though). Next time I would like to try a different wine, perhaps a Gruner. I am also thinking that Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Blanc might be a very nice companion.
We are getting used to this!

It’s been a while since I have added to this thread, though Jacqueline and I have continued our fish of the week meal while down here in FL. We tried some other new types- red grouper, mahi-mahi, and also re-visited some favorites – Key West pink shrimp and, tonight, Tripletail again. Tripletail was the fish we started this thread with and I’ll end the thread with the same fish. I used the video recipe below almost exactly, with only an adjustment of the volume of the lemon-butter sauce (and the amount of butter!). This pan-roasted preparation is really a nice way to cook the fish. I used perfect pinch Cajun seasoning and served the fish in the lemon butter sauce with fresh tomato salsa and guacamole from our local fruit and veggie stand. What a delicious fish - Tripletail wins our FOTW.

I also put out a small bowl of Tostitos “Scoops” thinking my wife might prefer to eat her salsa and guac that way. It turned out to be a fortuitous decision and led to my creation/discovery of “Mini Fish Tacos”. As I reflect back on my life’s accomplishments, I may include this. (Pathetic life some may snicker!). The mini fish tacos are constructed by putting a small flake of fish in the Tostitos Scoop and topping with salsa and guacamole. What a delicious combination! Once I was on to it, I finished my fish this way.

We opened a bottle of Henri Bourgeois 2017 La Baronnes Sancerre. This is their lower end Sancerre, but we thought it was delicious. Dry well balanced, bright citrus (I sensed lime, Jacqueline grapefruit). It went very well with the fish itself and with the mini fish tacos. We had a glass (two for me) and will finish it tomorrow with our weekly cheese dish and hopefully pay more attention to the wine. Maybe a TN will follow.

P.S. I was outfitted a bit more casually than the chef.

Nice thread idea Jim, thanks for sharing.

+1, responding so it pops in my thread.

Am inspired enough to go to my local fishmonger and grab one of his last shots of Columbia River Spring Chinooks, which is my favorite salmon, hands down.

Mahi on top of Paella! champagne.gif
7EC7A160-EE26-4C10-918D-DAA348109CD3.jpeg

Oh yeah !!!

Damn Albert, that looks delicious - are those langoustines or split lobster tails? “Giant” prawns?? :slight_smile:

Thanks Alex, yes split lobster tails. My speciality and favorite cuisine.

Love this idea. Will try tripletail next trip, thanks!

We did Snowy Grouper en papillote last week–phenomenal

This has been a great thread.