It's Friday, 02/20/09---What Is Everyone Eating This Weekend

Tonight—WIP

Saturday—Surf and Turf while possibly continuing my bromance with Philip. [gheyfight.gif] Grilled cold water lobster tails with a Flannery Chateaubriand served with a potato gratin and roasted Brussels Sprouts.

Sunday—Maybe a pizza and Champagne to watch The Academy Awards Red Carpet parade.

Scratch that…bromance off this weekend. Looks like I am being cheated on. Will regroup for dinner tomorrow…but will include a hunk of cow.

Tonight I’m working late and sandwiches are best dinner at work.
So I conjured up a batch of truffled egg salad on awesome 7 grain toast.

Tomorrow is Pizza night: The usual broccoli rabe and fresh garlic pie with wines as yet tba.

Sunday ~ I saw a pretty cool stuffed flank steak recipe in this food rag called Saveur and I’m doing something along those lines even if I don’t follow the exact recipe.

http://saveur.com/article/Food/Vegetable-Stuffed-Rolled-Flank-Steak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, exactly how do you embed links here?

I’m taking myself out for birthday dinner tonight and will be sitting at the pizza counter at Nostrana in front of the wood-fired oven. I’ll be having pizza, of course, but the rest of the meal is yet to be determined.

Tomorrow it’s off to Carafe Bistro (with a date . . . GASP) where I’ll have the mussel and pommes frites appetizer and either the cassoulet or the duck confit unless they stick something really interesting on the menu that I don’t know about. 1999 La Chapelle is on tap for that.

Thai take out tonight and Flannery rib cap tomarrow night with friends. Wines tbd.

JD

Rib cap doesn’t suck.

Tonight - Sushi

Tomorrow - TBD

Sunday - Having friends over. Making braised short ribs on Saturday. Will be that much better Sunday night after all the flavors integrate overnight. With those some Garlic Mashed Potatoes with a drizzle of Black Truffle Oil. Some sorrt of side salad to lighten the load a bit. Will start off with some Gougeres (first time making those) and assorted charcuterie/cheeses.

What, no frijoles and arroz?

Bluefish is good…ate there last Friday with Kristi. Wine list sucks ass though.

And if anyone knows THIS subject… [rofl.gif]

THAT’S for the frijoles crap bud. [emot-pwn.gif]

Burgers from The Hat and blind Cabs for lunch today.

Sandwiches with wine over poker tomorrow for lunch.

Who knows for the rest of the weekend. [cheers.gif]

Headed down to Long Beach today for a Reggae Festival. Having dinner tonight at Brix @ 1601 in Hermosa Beach. Looking forward to it…

I’ve been trying to use ideas and recipes from this board for cooking projects lately, and next up is Mike Pobega’s thick-crust granny pizza-- probably on Sunday.

We’ve got a family coming to dinner tonight and the Dad had a heart attack last july and is now on a low fat diet. I asked him if he wanted fish or Filet Mignon and he went with the Filet Mignon. I figure that it’s pretty lean (Costco, choice) and well trimmed.
Going to serve that with a mushroom sauce sans butter but heavy on the demi glace.
The rest of the plate will feature a baked potato and sautéed mixed veggies.
Salad will be mesclun with curls of Parmigiano Reggiano and EVOO & lemon juice and a lot of black pepper.

Wines will be the 1989 Coudoulet de Beaucastel and a 2005 Brdx TBD

Saturday is date night and we are going to Vie in Western Springs, IL and then to see a friend in a play also in WS.
The best part of dinner will be the BYOB policy if the wine is 10 years or older, no corkage! Not sure what to bring
must check the menu first…

Tonight (Friday, Philippine time) was udon with scallops and bok choy; and, braised pork belly with a mango sauce (may sound strange but it’s very good). Some cheap but surprisingly decent gewürz from Alsace went well.

Saturday night will be at my father’s place with steamed crabs and other seafoods. Surely sauvignon blanc will come into play - he has far more wine than I do and he always lets me choose whatever I want to open.

Sunday, will probably take my wife and children out to lunch at either a Spanish or Italian restaurant (I haven’t decided yet) with some rosé; dinner is at my in-laws’ place for some crispy beef ribs, spring rolls stuffed with crab meat/Chinese vermicelli/etc., and lots of other stuff. I don’t know if I’ll bring any bottles - probably not.

Burgers from The Hat?? I think it’s sacrilege to get anything but a big fat pastrami sandwich from them…with swiss cheese…and chili-cheese fries. mmmmmmm

Looking forward to poker tomorrow!

I usually have Pastrami but thought I’d try a burger for Cab day. I heard their pretty good from there also.

You want to give me your wine now and save the hassle? [diablo.gif]

Burgers and Cab, huh? Tasty! [cheers.gif]

[laughingneqw.gif] [emot-words.gif] [boredom.gif] [nea.gif]

Emoticons can say it all sometimes…

Last night: Mustard seed and fennel seed crusted pork tenderloin, baked sweet potato and sauteed spinach.

Tonight: not sure

Saturday night: may be going to a new place called Marzano. Supposedly very good wood fired pizzas.

Sunday night: not sure

Tonight is grilled dead cow for certain. Doing yet another 2001 Napa Cabernet tasting on another board so I need sustenance to go with that. Not sure about tomorrow or Sunday yet. Thinking…