Dinner with Jeff Pfohl

Last night Jeff Pfohl came up for dinner. In our living room in front a of nice fire, we started with four Good Wives pastries - smoked salmon in rye profiteroles, crab & cheese puffs, lobster newburg pastries, and mushroom profiteroles. These were enjoyed with a 2002 Jean-Marc Boillot Puligny-Montrachet (village) - lush flowery white fruit in nose and flavors, balanced fruity mid-palate with good acidity, and a medium long rich fruity finish.

Next we moved to the dining table for mains of Shepherd’s lamb loin chops, seasoned with garlic, black pepper, and rosemary, and broccoli flowerets cooked in chicken stock with garlic. The loin chops were medium rare and finished with the broiler pan drippings de-glazed with Bual. This was very tasty with two 2001 wines - Ogier Côte-Rôtie and Ravenswood Icon (88% Syrah, 6% Mourvedre, 6% Grenache). The Ogier was rich, complex, and still a bit young. The Icon was more simple and straightforward. Both had good berry fruit and a long finish.

Then for dessert we moved back to the living room and the fire for three cheeses - Drunken Goat, Affinois Goat Brie, and Fontina Fontal, with two small, crisp Pink Lady apples, and a very tasty bottle of 1986 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey Sauternes. The rich Sauternes was a good match with the cheeses and apples.

Talk about a bromance!!

We’ve got some delicious irony here, as well.

‘Good Wives pastries’
Loin chops
Pink Lady apples…

[gheyfight.gif]

Todd, please excuse my ignorance, but what is a “bromance”? I’ve seen that term often in this site but don’t know what it means. Could you explain it to me?

N

Oh, I’m looking forward to this… [whistle2.gif]

Please don’t encourage the natives.

Spill it, Steve. ¿Que significa “bromance”?

A bromance or “man-crush” is a close but non-sexual relationship between two men.[1] Coined in the 1990s, the term has historically referred to a relationship between heterosexuals, but recently the term has gained currency in describing such relationships when one of the men is gay.

Oh, ok. Sorry I asked.

This can also help you:

http://www.youtube.com/v/lL4L4Uv5rf0&hl=en&fs=1

Actually quite an amusing duet, but the refrain’s last line is, somehow, not very convincing.

Best,

N

All great meals should end with three cheeses, apples, and Sauternes.

If only I could make that so…

How was the Sauternes with the acidity of the apples?

Another great meal, Dick, and Ogier and Lafaurie-Peyraguey are among my favorite producers in their respective regions. Thanks for the notes.

Todd-

The acidity in the apples was mitigated by the cheeses and wasn’t a noticible problem with the Sauternes, which also wasn’t particularly sweet.

Ugh - this sounds SO good…

Melissa-

Thanks, we really enjoyed our visit with the Ogiers in early '04

Stéphane is on Facebook. I’m hoping to arrange a visit this summer. Did you post notes of that visit?

Dick I was going to jump in to chide you about your romantic evening with Jeff but I realized it that it might not be fitting as it seems impossible, no matter how much posting (or dining) occurs, to arouse you.

This reminds me of my lunch today.

I started in the car, with much longing as I drove to the Thai restaurant. I had already ordered, so there was no surprise, only anticipation filling my loins with food lust. After parking, we moved into the restaurant. Heady aromas of lemongrass and curry filled our nostrils, entrancing us with the promise of luscious, satisfying lunch to come. Upon leaving the restaurant with our to-go orders safely wrapped in plastic, I realized that the temptation was almost too much. Sweaty with desire, I realized I needed some sort of appetite chastity belt. As soon as I arrived back at work, I exploded through the door, laughing like mad with thoughts of the impending pleasure to come. The spring rolls were firm, yet yielding to the bite, fantastic with a sweet and sour dipping sauce. My entree, vegetable coconut soup, stoked the very fires of my gastronomic urges, it’s sweet aroma penetrating the air. One spoonful and I was hooked. The contrast of flavors and textures was almost too much, as I was perched on the very brink of delirium. I knew that my Coke Zero would make a delicious dance partner in this lambada of gastronomy, complementing the sweetness of the soup, and it’s caramel coloring a dark yin to my coconut soup’s white yang. After the entree I practically collapsed into my chair, exhausted with the satisfaction of another lunch time tryst. Whew.

I’m glad I can’t see what goes on behind his monitor at lunch. [help.gif]

Wow, I think I need a cigarette after that experience!

Zach, hook a brother up?