Dinner with Jeff Pfohl

It was another fantastic evening with Dick & Carollee. You cannot find more genuine, fun loving people in the world. True friends.

The lamb was perfect in every way. I loved the perfume on the Ogier, and it had great balance. Yes a bit young, but if you have several there is no harm in poppig one now although the best is yet to come, maybe in 5-10 years. The Icon was more straightforward and dare I say simple. Tasty juice but not as elegant or as interesting as the Ogier. YMMV.

The Sauternes was a light lighter than I expected for a 1986. I’ve had a lot of 1986s (Climens, d’Yquem both on numerous occasions) and this was the lightest of the bunch. Also great balance, as Dick noted not terribly sweet. It went quite well with the apples, and of course with the cheeses.

Dick & Carollee, thanks again for a lovely evening. Thursday my place for a black truffle dinner.

Jeff, on the Sauternes, are you referring to ‘lightness’ in terms of color, or body/mouthfeel, or both?

I think Lafaurie has broad appeal, even to folks who don’t generally love Sauternes, for precisely this reason. It’s a lighter style-- less oak, less unctuousness, less sweetness, and slightly more acidity-- than most good Sauternes/Barsac. It’s also very attractively priced.

I can’t wait to hear about the truffle dinner!

Both.

Ya had me until the Coke Zero, Jeff. :frowning:

What a great dinner! Thanks for sharing…

Dick & Carollee are the greatest.

A chance to sit at their table is fabulous as many of you have noted when reading Dick’s posts.

I’m living the dream!!