The Bourbon Thread

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Bourbon Thread

#4001 Post by Brandon R »

Brandon R wrote: December 4th, 2020, 11:21 am
Brandon R wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:52 am Grabbed a bottle of Belle Meade Bourbon at the Univ. Village QFC (Seattle) over the weekend. Anyone had it?
Opened this. Not impressed. Struck me as a little thin or on the lighter bodied side. I could see it being a decent cocktail Bourbon, but throwing a bunch in with it would be problematic I think. Pass.
D'oh! I totally shamed the wrong Bourbon. I opened a Redemption Bourbon and wasn't impressed. On Sunday, I opened the Belle Meade and really liked it.
B. Redman

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4002 Post by Brandon R »

Mike Maguire wrote: December 4th, 2020, 11:34 am
Brandon R wrote: December 4th, 2020, 11:21 am
Brandon R wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:52 am Grabbed a bottle of Belle Meade Bourbon at the Univ. Village QFC (Seattle) over the weekend. Anyone had it?
Opened this. Not impressed. Struck me as a little thin or on the lighter bodied side. I could see it being a decent cocktail Bourbon, but throwing a bunch in with it would be problematic I think. Pass.
Haven’t had that one Brandon, but a couple years back I stumbled into a small stash of the 12 yr Belle Meade that is in the top ten bourbons I’ve ever had. [cheers.gif]
Mike, I made a mistake. I thought it was the Belle Meade that I opened and wasn't impressed by but, after checking, it was a Redemption Bourbon. I opened the BM on Sunday and really, really liked it. For a little less than OF 1920, it's a strong candidate for house Bourbon.
B. Redman

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4003 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Can't help myself - when at Target, I have to pick up at least on E.H. Taylor Small Batch at $42.99. Good bourbon at a great price.
Instagram at @akgrill

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4004 Post by Brandon R »

That a great price. I went into a liquor store recently that had all three EH Taylors for sale, and the cheapest was over $100. I think they're playing on the fact that one of them (Small Batch?) purportedly won some international whiskey prize recently. Ridiculous.
B. Redman

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4005 Post by Mike Maguire »

Brandon
Just curious , did you find the Belle Meade locally? $$?

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4006 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:44 pm Can't help myself - when at Target, I have to pick up at least on E.H. Taylor Small Batch at $42.99. Good bourbon at a great price.
I am sure you take this for granted and I'm happy for you. In NC you never see this. Or unless you are at the store when the delivery truck comes you never get a chance. State run stores.
Leonard Taylor

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4007 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Leonard Taylor wrote: December 9th, 2020, 4:13 am
Andrew Kotowski wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:44 pm Can't help myself - when at Target, I have to pick up at least on E.H. Taylor Small Batch at $42.99. Good bourbon at a great price.
I am sure you take this for granted and I'm happy for you. In NC you never see this. Or unless you are at the store when the delivery truck comes you never get a chance. State run stores.
Having lived for 2 years in both Oregon and NC, as well as 2 or 3 here before they went to a public model, I am well well aware of that pain.
Instagram at @akgrill

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4008 Post by Brandon R »

Mike Maguire wrote: December 8th, 2020, 2:30 pm Brandon
I found it on Whidbey Island, actually. My in-laws live over there. Want me to grab you one if I see it?
B. Redman

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4009 Post by James Lyon »

Leonard, where are you located in NC? If I run across a few bottles of EHTSMB, I'll let you know. I received the email for the Mecklenburg County lottery on Saturday. The lottery includes the EHT Single Barrel this year. I laughed. Funny stuff.

James

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4010 Post by Leonard Taylor »

James Lyon wrote: December 9th, 2020, 1:28 pm
Leonard, where are you located in NC? If I run across a few bottles of EHTSMB, I'll let you know. I received the email for the Mecklenburg County lottery on Saturday. The lottery includes the EHT Single Barrel this year. I laughed. Funny stuff.

James
James, I am just outside of Charlotte. Man, I would love to get EHTSB. It is one of my favorites. I am good for any/all you can score. Let me know! I will send you a PM with my email. This is only my second time in the Meck Lottery. Nothing the first time. It's a cluster F**K
Leonard Taylor

Kelly Walker

#4011 Post by Kelly Walker »

Leonard Taylor wrote: December 9th, 2020, 1:59 pm

James
James, I am just outside of Charlotte. Man, I would love to get EHTSB. It is one of my favorites. I am good for any/all you can score. Let me know! I will send you a PM with my email. This is only my second time in the Meck Lottery. Nothing the first time. It's a cluster F**K
Leonard,

I will keep an eye out at Southern in Indian Land. I will snarf up for you any they have when I am there. Tuesday morning is when they put out the small allocation stuff including Blanton's.
"I was piling up empty bottles of Mugnier, Roumier, Raveneau, Roulot, Gentaz and Rayas like cordwood at Troisgros before you punks were born. Now get your Chignin, Pet-Nat and amphora-raised Poulsard- and Mencia-drinking asses off of my lawn."
- Josh Raynolds

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4012 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Kelly Walker wrote: December 9th, 2020, 2:19 pm

James
Leonard,

I will keep an eye out at Southern in Indian Land. I will snarf up for you any they have when I am there. Tuesday morning is when they put out the small allocation stuff including Blanton's.
Thank you Kelly!! Any EHT I'm a player for.
Leonard Taylor

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4013 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Eagle Rare also!!!!
Leonard Taylor

Kelly Walker

#4014 Post by Kelly Walker »

Leonard Taylor wrote: December 9th, 2020, 2:52 pm Eagle Rare also!!!!
10?
"I was piling up empty bottles of Mugnier, Roumier, Raveneau, Roulot, Gentaz and Rayas like cordwood at Troisgros before you punks were born. Now get your Chignin, Pet-Nat and amphora-raised Poulsard- and Mencia-drinking asses off of my lawn."
- Josh Raynolds

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4015 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Kelly Walker wrote: December 9th, 2020, 3:29 pm
10?
10 bottles? Hell yeah! The regular ER is a 10 year old bourbon. That's the one. I would kill for the 17. It's in the lottery. But it's Eagle Rare Rare
Leonard Taylor

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4016 Post by James Lyon »

James
Leonard, I received your PM and I'll let you know if I find any EHTSmB or any EHT. I had a great friend call me a few weeks ago from a Pennsylvania liquor store and he said that most of the standard EHT bottles were available there. I encouraged him to buy some and bring them home, but I'm not sure that he did.

Yeah, the lottery is a mess. I've had the discussion numerous times with Mecklenburg County ABC folks, but the lottery for allocated items should be changed to a state lottery like Virginia. Anyone ALIVE is eligible for the Meck County lottery which is wrong, wrong, wrong.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4017 Post by James Lyon »

Kelly Walker wrote: December 9th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Leonard,

Kelly, I'm on the Southern Spirits mailing list and I think that Keith mentioned a few weeks ago that the allocated items are now available on Saturday mornings. I like Keith, but I'm not a fan of the owner, so I prefer Stateline down the road. It's been a year or so since I have visited either store.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4018 Post by James Lyon »

Leonard Taylor wrote: December 9th, 2020, 3:54 pm
Kelly Walker wrote: December 9th, 2020, 3:29 pm
10?
10 bottles? Hell yeah! The regular ER is a 10 year old bourbon. That's the one. I would kill for the 17. It's in the lottery. But it's Eagle Rare Rare
Eagle Rare is available online from reputable retailers, so I would avoid purchasing from Mecklenburg County or any NC ABC. Sorry, the entire NC ABC system is corrupt.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4019 Post by Mike Maguire »

Brandon R wrote: December 9th, 2020, 8:44 am
I found it on Whidbey Island, actually. My in-laws live over there. Want me to grab you one if I see it?
[/quote

I picked up a reserve at Total in Federal Way , I will report back when tasted.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4020 Post by Brandon R »

Mike Maguire wrote: December 9th, 2020, 9:30 pm
Brandon R wrote: December 9th, 2020, 8:44 am
[/quote

I picked up a reserve at Total in Federal Way , I will report back when tasted.
Nice, please do! What was the tariff?
B. Redman

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4021 Post by Brandon R »

Mike and my quoting was showing up weird. Anyway, Mike, please let us know what you think of the Belle Meade Reserve.
B. Redman

bradkaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4022 Post by bradkaplan »

Have y'all seen the bourbon exchange thing going around Facebook? It's basically a ponzi giving scheme, but I figured why not - support distilleries, support local bottle shops, make people happy. I gave my recipient the choice of a local barrel proof whiskey (ASW Distillery in Atlanta) or a 17yo Whistle Pig rye store pick, we'll see what (if anything) I get in return! (DM if you want to take part - caveat that it involves sharing on FB, or whatever platform you choose, to rope others in to the shenanignas)

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4023 Post by Mike Maguire »

I prefer to call it the bourbon “airplane scheme”.I had some friends that lost some serious cash and life long friends over the original airplane scheme.Basically you recruit people to join in , moving you closer to the captains seat, problem is recruiting
eventually stalls and while a few people get rich, many more are left holding the bag.
Works much like Amway and other multi level operations.As they say one born every day.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4024 Post by Mike Maguire »

Brandon R wrote: December 10th, 2020, 8:41 am Mike and my quoting was showing up weird. Anyway, Mike, please let us know what you think of the Belle Meade Reserve.
Will do.🥂

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4025 Post by Leonard Taylor »

The bourbon exchange is a scam
Leonard Taylor

bradkaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4026 Post by bradkaplan »

Over the years, I've done this kind of ponzi giving thing with cookies, with books, and now with bourbon. No one's getting hurt. No one's getting rich. The most you're out is a bottle of a bourbon that will make someone else happy. Happy holidays everyone. : )

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4027 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Brandon R wrote: December 10th, 2020, 8:41 am Mike and my quoting was showing up weird. Anyway, Mike, please let us know what you think of the Belle Meade Reserve.
You don't know me but I bought a bottle of Belle Meade reserve this past Monday for the first time. And I can tell you it has become one of my favorites. It is so complex with overwhelming vanilla, banana, a bit of hazelnut. It is great neat with just a touch of heat on the end. But it is so hard not to just keep sipping this. My wife and I have been going to this for our after dinner share every night since I got it. I highly recommend it.
Leonard Taylor

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4028 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Leonard Taylor wrote: December 10th, 2020, 4:17 pm
You don't know me but I bought a bottle of Belle Meade reserve this past Monday for the first time. And I can tell you it has become one of my favorites. It is so complex with overwhelming vanilla, banana, a bit of hazelnut. It is great neat with just a touch of heat on the end. But it is so hard not to just keep sipping this. My wife and I have been going to this for our after dinner share every night since I got it. I highly recommend it.
@Brandon - the PNW Bourbon Hounds group on facebook is all over Belle Meade. Will start keeping an eye out for it.
Instagram at @akgrill

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4029 Post by Mike Maguire »

Thanks for the note Leonard, now I might not wait til this weekend. [wow.gif]

Have had the BM reserve a couple times now, and is quite good . A strong dose of Carmel and brown sugar and pecan.A definite step up from the the reg Belle Meade
Very enjoyable neat.
Last edited by Mike Maguire on December 14th, 2020, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4030 Post by James Lyon »

The Mecklenburg County ABC received 7,300 entries into the lottery. I'm guessing that there are 100-200 bottles of allocated items in the lottery, so chances are highly unlikely that I will get the opportunity to purchase a bottle. Time will tell.

Brent C l a y t o n

#4031 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

PSA for PA peeps:
the LCB has Old Tub for $16.99. This is more like $30-35 in NY.
Back up the truck!

https://www.finewineandgoodspirits.com/ ... nIndex%3d0
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Kelly Walker

#4032 Post by Kelly Walker »

Just killed the last of a bottle last night. Your description is spot on.
- Josh Raynolds

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4033 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Kelly Walker wrote: December 15th, 2020, 2:54 pm
Another bourbon friend told me the cask strength reserve is even better. This one just says "Reserve". It's delicious.
Leonard Taylor

Kelly Walker

#4034 Post by Kelly Walker »

Leonard Taylor wrote: December 15th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Kelly Walker wrote: December 15th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Another bourbon friend told me the cask strength reserve is even better. This one just says "Reserve". It's delicious.
I also loved the Oloroso Sherry cask finish. Local barman said I need to try the Madeira cask finish.
- Josh Raynolds

Kelly Walker

#4035 Post by Kelly Walker »

BTW Leonard, the Belle Meade website says that they no longer bottle the Reserve at cask strength but instead blend down to 108.3% and label it as simply "Reserve" which they say is the "sweet spot". Their single barrel is bottled at cask strength.
- Josh Raynolds

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4036 Post by Leonard Taylor »

Kelly Walker wrote: December 15th, 2020, 3:23 pm BTW Leonard, the Belle Meade website says that they no longer bottle the Reserve at cask strength but instead blend down to 108.3% and label it as simply "Reserve" which they say is the "sweet spot". Their single barrel is bottled at cask strength.
Thanks Kelly. I will have to look for the SB.
Leonard Taylor

Robert M yers

#4037 Post by Robert M yers »

Any idea why Willett isn’t producing quantities of older bourbon yet? It seems like I was buying two and 3 year 8 years ago. Shouldn’t they have a stash of approaching 10 yr now?

We don’t get it at all in Ohio, so I’m not in that loop but my stash of those early releases is now down to 1/2 bottle so I’m thinking of searching something out.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4038 Post by James Lyon »

Robert M yers wrote: December 15th, 2020, 3:50 pm Any idea why Willett isn’t producing quantities of older bourbon yet? It seems like I was buying two and 3 year 8 years ago. Shouldn’t they have a stash of approaching 10 yr now?

We don’t get it at all in Ohio, so I’m not in that loop but my stash of those early releases is now down to 1/2 bottle so I’m thinking of searching something out.
I'm not sure that I have ever seen the 2 and 3 year bourbon. Are you thinking about the 2, 3 and now 4 year rye? Also, I would imagine that the other WFE bottles (Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, etc.) get a majority of the WFE distillate.

Robert M yers

#4039 Post by Robert M yers »

James Lyon wrote: December 16th, 2020, 4:49 am
Robert M yers wrote: December 15th, 2020, 3:50 pm Any idea why Willett isn’t producing quantities of older bourbon yet? It seems like I was buying two and 3 year 8 years ago. Shouldn’t they have a stash of approaching 10 yr now?

I'm not sure that I have ever seen the 2 and 3 year bourbon. Are you thinking about the 2, 3 and now 4 year rye? Also, I would imagine that the other WFE bottles (Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, etc.) get a majority of the WFE distillate.
Yes your are correct those were Rye now that I think about it.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4040 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Has anyone had the Belle Meade XO Cognac finished? I just ordered a bottle of the Cask Strength Reserve for pickup and while searching saw that the Cognac-finished is available local-ish for $70. Bit of a drive though so not as likely to make the trip without some positive feedback. Single Barrel is $100.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4041 Post by Jud Reis »

Michae1 P0wers wrote: December 17th, 2020, 12:19 pm Has anyone had the Belle Meade XO Cognac finished? I just ordered a bottle of the Cask Strength Reserve for pickup and while searching saw that the Cognac-finished is available local-ish for $70. Bit of a drive though so not as likely to make the trip without some positive feedback. Single Barrel is $100.

Michael - I think that is my favorite in the Belle Meade line up. Worth seeking out.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4042 Post by Michae1 P0wers »

Jud Reis wrote: December 17th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Michae1 P0wers wrote: December 17th, 2020, 12:19 pm Has anyone had the Belle Meade XO Cognac finished? I just ordered a bottle of the Cask Strength Reserve for pickup and while searching saw that the Cognac-finished is available local-ish for $70. Bit of a drive though so not as likely to make the trip without some positive feedback. Single Barrel is $100.

Michael - I think that is my favorite in the Belle Meade line up. Worth seeking out.
Thanks Jud. I’ll try the reserve and if I like it maybe I’ll take a drive for that one. Seems like a good price too. I do like cognac quite a bit…

Tran Bronstein

#4043 Post by Tran Bronstein »

Bad news and good news to report here on the Bourbon Thread. Bad news is that I have depleted my entire bottle of Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 25 already via various cocktails and straight sipping and am going through serious Bourbon withdrawal. I should have showed some restraint and made it last but damn that stuff was powerful and tasty. Now it's all gone. [cry.gif]

The good news is that I have seen the light and realized how much better Bourbon is than the overpriced overrated raw untreated sewage that is Scotch thanks to this experience and immediately replenished my Bourbon stock with the following to combat my withdrawal symptoms:
  • Wild Turkey Rare Breed
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel
  • Maker's Mark 46
  • Baker's Single Barrel

These go along with the Orphan Barrel Barterhouse that was already in my possession. Very happy to have found these since the Knob Creek has regained its 9 year old age statement and the Baker's is actually aged for just shy over 8 years per the attached tag label. I guess the 7 year old age statement on the label is to give you the sense of an added value product. If so, it works for me. [cheers.gif] I'm thinking of adding a bottle of Legent to the collection as well.

P.S. My newfound enlightenment on Scotch does not apply to the superior elixir of the Gods that is Irish Whiskey with an e.

PS.S. Or Lowlands Scotch which is Irish in spirit.

20201218_131732.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

Michael S. Monie

#4044 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Tran Bronstein wrote: December 18th, 2020, 1:06 pm Bad news and good news to report here on the Bourbon Thread. Bad news is that I have depleted my entire bottle of Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 25 already via various cocktails and straight sipping and am going through serious Bourbon withdrawal. I should have showed some restraint and made it last but damn that stuff was powerful and tasty. Now it's all gone. [cry.gif]

The good news is that I have seen the light and realized how much better Bourbon is than the overpriced overrated raw untreated sewage that is Scotch thanks to this experience and immediately replenished my Bourbon stock with the following to combat my withdrawal symptoms:
  • Wild Turkey Rare Breed
  • Maker's Mark 46
  • Baker's Single Barrel

These go along with the Orphan Barrel Barterhouse that was already in my possession. Very happy to have found these since the Knob Creek has regained its 9 year old age statement and the Baker's is actually aged for just shy over 8 years per the attached tag label. I guess the 7 year old age statement on the label is to give you the sense of an added value product. If so, it works for me. [cheers.gif] I'm thinking of adding a bottle of Legent to the collection as well.

P.S. My newfound enlightenment on Scotch does not apply to the superior elixir of the Gods that is Irish Whiskey with an e.

20201218_131732.jpg
I thought your coffers had been filled and your buying days were behind you. Never say never, right?
Hubris Gravitas

Of the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one, the more the other becomes apparent.

Michael S. Monie

#4045 Post by Michael S. Monie »

The XO finish is much more subtle than the reserve. It's 90.4 proof and the aroma and taste profiles are significantly less than the reserve. And with the reserve being $10 less in my local market, it's an easy choice for me.
Hubris Gravitas

Of the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one, the more the other becomes apparent.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4046 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Blantons in the house!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram at @akgrill

Tran Bronstein

#4047 Post by Tran Bronstein »

Michael S. Monie wrote: December 18th, 2020, 2:24 pm
Tran Bronstein wrote: December 18th, 2020, 1:06 pm Bad news and good news to report here on the Bourbon Thread. Bad news is that I have depleted my entire bottle of Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 25 already via various cocktails and straight sipping and am going through serious Bourbon withdrawal. I should have showed some restraint and made it last but damn that stuff was powerful and tasty. Now it's all gone. [cry.gif]

• Wild Turkey Rare Breed
  • Maker's Mark 46
  • Baker's Single Barrel

20201218_131732.jpg
I thought your coffers had been filled and your buying days were behind you. Never say never, right?
They were. I posted much earlier on the board a few months ago that the extreme circumstances of this year caused me to consciously break that vow this year for very specific special purchases such as Champagne, Alsacian Pinot Noir and cocktail supply stockup. Prior to that, I had indeed kept my word.

With better things headed for us in 2021 and other goals in mind, I will in fact be renewing the buying moratorium in 2021. The last pre-planned purchases are scheduled during the last two weeks of this month as I go to Montreal to visit and isolate with one of my sisters for two weeks upon which I am returning to Toronto to isolate for another two weeks.
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4048 Post by Mike Maguire »

Michael S. Monie wrote: December 18th, 2020, 2:27 pm

The XO finish is much more subtle than the reserve. It's 90.4 proof and the aroma and taste profiles are significantly less than the reserve. And with the reserve being $10 less in my local market, it's an easy choice for me.
Have had both and easy choice, the reserve is hands down better . The single barrel is another level up.Can’t go wrong with any of the Belle Mead iterations.

JulianD

#4049 Post by JulianD »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: December 18th, 2020, 5:46 pm Blantons in the house!!!
straight from the barrel too! nice
Davies

Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4050 Post by Andrew K. »

Tapped into my GTS the other night. So incredibly good. Amazing smoothness and flavor with not nearly as much heat as I would expect at 129 proof (did add a few drops of water). I see why people are paying obscene prices for these bottles.

So good I had to have some more for a Zoom happy hour yesterday afternoon. Note to self: a heavy pour of 129 proof at 4pm is ill-advised.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Return to “Beer and Spirits”